Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renters / Tenant insurance (with flood cover)

Options
  • 01-03-2011 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

I'm moving to the Cork City center soon and wondering where I could find an insurer who does tenant insurance that also covers for flooding.
    Seems to be a difficult find. After last year's floodings and the horror stories I've heard from some other renters, I'd like to be sure before we move.

It seems to be easier to find flood cover on homeowners insurance, of course we are only renting so that's not possible.
    Would a tenant be covered on the Landlords insurance in the event of a flood and if so to what extent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Xzen wrote: »
    I'm moving to the Cork City center soon and wondering where I could find an insurer who does tenant insurance that also covers for flooding.
    Seems to be a difficult find. After last year's floodings and the horror stories I've heard from some other renters, I'd like to be sure before we move.
    If its ground floor, I imagine its impossible almost anywhere on the island. Off the island, it might be possible.

Is the property ground floor or not? If its a third floor apartment in a five storey building, I would ask them to re-assess it.
    Would a tenant be covered on the Landlords insurance in the event of a flood and if so to what extent?
    Almost exclusively no.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Victor wrote: »
    Is the property ground floor or not? If its a third floor apartment in a five storey building, I would ask them to re-assess it.
    Almost exclusively no.

It's a house though, not an apartment. It's around the Albert Road, not sure it floods around there, but it looks low enough to.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

First off you should check -> http://www.floodmaps.ie and make your own assessment of the risk of the property being flooded.

The landlords insurance policy will absolutely not cover your possessions (its probably even mentioned in the lease). You will need to take out your own insurance policy to get cover, this applies no matter where you rent. You should insure your stuff anyway in case of a burglary.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've never heard of it flooding there.

http://www.floodmaps.ie/Disclaimer.aspx?user=basic - there nearest flooding in 2009 was the quay in front of City Hall. I suspect, that would be 1-2m below Albert Road, but its had to read the ground levels there.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Thanks for the info all, very helpful. Looks like the area im looking at is 1/200 chance of flooding, since im looking for very long-term rent (5yrs or more) I might skip the city center and look in Corks many many hills instead :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement