Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handel Bar on Thomas Street

Options
  • 01-03-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    Anyone know the story with Handel(s?) reopening on Thomas street. I work in the area and looking for a decent place for lunch or coffee besides Mannings bakery. Still no starbucks/costa/insomnia etc. in the area :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Handel's has been closed for years.

I haven't heard anything about it reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 corrigar

I'm not sure but there has been alot of work going on there the last few weeks. Looks like they are getting ready for a reopening so i thought id put the feelers out to the all knowledgable boards posters to see what i could find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Yes, I noticed a bit of activity there over the last week or so. I drove by there this morning and they were painting the outside. I'm a bit hopeful, as like yourself, I'd like to see more good lunch places in the area.

There are a few cafes up the Thomas St./Francis St. end, but very little around this part of Thomas St. apart from Subway and Mannings.

Though they have nice chips in the Italian chipper beside Subway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Yeah, I was cycling past the othe day and I saw work men working away on it. I wonder what they're up to. I cycle past it most days, if I see someone working I'll ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Hope it does reopen. I used to pass it every day but I've moved Northside now so am not up there as much.

• Advertisement

It looks like it could definitely be an option. Weird though if I was reopening a pub I'd definitely throw up a web page or post somewhere online about it. I googled and can't find anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 briandun

Yep I asked the builders and it will be open next week..prob in time for Paddys day :D

Any idea what kind of place it will be or what kind of place it was?
    I'm hoping more like a bull and castle than a hilltop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 briandun

no idea to be honest..I'll be passing by again today, if there's someone about I'll ask and post later...hopefully something daycent!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Arthur's it's called. Walked past it tonight on the Hill Top side. I don't know if the Hill Top crowd will migrate over. Looks a bit like the capitol on george's st. Crowd seemed good enough. One trendy enough chap outside smoking. Hope Thomas St is a Berlin Wall between it and the Hill Top. I wouldn't get my hopes up though.

edit: on re-examination today, it's nothing like the capitol. Looks like something of a wine bar. Still haven't been in. Looks to be a nice spot though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Went past it tonight about 10 after the Shels match, looked fairly empty, granted I was driving past but didn't look to be much happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Good to see it open again. It was a shame to see such a fine place lying idle.

Yes, happy to report it's open. it's called Arthur's now, very clever, to capitalise on the passing tourists.

They are serving food now, the menu will be extended over the coming weeks.

You're right though, they should have an internet/social media presence. I do hope it stays a nice place, somewhere safe to go for lunch and drinks after work. My colleagues in work are delighted, we are hoping to test it out for lunch soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

corrigar wrote: »
    Hi,
    Still no starbucks/costa/insomnia etc. in the area :(

Eh - and that's a bad thing? Mercy...

Thomas Street a wonderful and growing array of indigenous food service providers. Support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I used to love that place - I'm guessing, given the Arthur's thing, it's not what it was like back then. Pity.

What is Arthur's like? Has anyone been in yet for food or drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

Thought it was a bit disappointing. 4.70 for a pint of Swithwicks from a surly barman was a bit hard to take,as bad a pint I've had in a long time.
    Was hoping it might be something a bit different but felt it was bland and boring.
    Didn't see any food but don't think I would go back again to check.
    There are much better bars with-in walking distance,like the royal oak,ryans or the lord edward.

Went past it last night about 10.30pm, didn't look like there was one person inside.

We just went here for lunch earlier, as we were dying to try it out for food. I had popped in about a week or two ago and the menu looked pretty good.

Though today all they had available was toasted ham & cheese sandwiches. So we had to send someone over to Morellis to get a few chips also as we were still hungry.

Overall the pub is fine, clean and comfortable. We are planning another trip next month so hopefully the food situation will have sorted out by then. The bar person said that there would be a full menu available from Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bandia

Have been keeping a close eye on this as used to live around the corner and be a regular regular :o)
    NOt living there anymore but spend my days in the DSA, so was very excited to see work going on again at it.
    We popped in the other evening after class to have a wee meeting of minds.
    The bar man was lovely, real chatty telling us about the remaining work thats to be done, kitchen opening etc etc. Lovely selection of herbal tea (my friend not I) I went for a pint of Arfur instead, sure you couldnt really order anything else.
    It was flat, and I only had one and suffered the wrath of Arthur the next morning.:eek::eek: I'm sure this was down to dirty lines or first pint of the day but if they are going to play/capitalise on the whoe Arthur thing, the Guiness is the FIRST thing they need to sort out, the factory is just round the corner, so get someone in to sort out the lines, give the lesson on how to pull the perfect pint (almost no head on mine and I love head ;o))

The place looks nice, was a few knocking about and nice music at a level that was good enough not to intrude but enough to induce. There's still that weird odour of new paint and old boarded up damp, but that too will pass after a few busy nights.

Will check it regularily for ye, as I would really love to see it take off again.

To ARTHUR!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

To be fair the location is really poor and difficult to sustain a passing trade.
    Handles was great for the cheap pints. Is Arthur's similar?

It would be cool if they also went the direction of the craft beers to make a kind of craft beer cluster in the area.

The first report doesn't look too promising. Its funny to hear of the terrible pint, cause I went there to watch a Champions league match before and on the first pint my friend was getting sick upstairs in the toilet. It must've been a dodgy pint cause his reaction was anything but normal (and we'd eaten the same food).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I used to drink in that bar when Paddy Ryan had it as The Robert Emmet. It was a good old Dublin bar then. I am sorry they changed the name from Robert Emmet considering the location!!

I don't think I will be rushing off to sample a brew going by the reports above though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Handels was a kip beforehand. The nearest thing to a decent boozer on Thomas Street is the Lord Edward which is a classic (even though its in Christchurch). Even in its glory days Handels was just a franchise pub.

Any boozer thats been open longer than 30 minutes and is unable to pull a pint without poisoning someone is likely to be closed again very soon. Esp. if its beside James Gates as another poster pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

corrigar wrote: »
    Hi,
    Anyone know the story with Handel(s?) reopening on Thomas street. (

Is Handel's a new name for Robert Emmet's pub (next to St Catherine's Church, in front of which Emmet was executed in 1803)?

Dionysus wrote: »
    Is Handel's a new name for Robert Emmet's pub (next to St Catherine's Church, in front of which Emmet was executed in 1803)?

Yup, one of many names it's had in the last several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Deflector wrote: »
    Eh - and that's a bad thing? Mercy...

Thomas Street a wonderful and growing array of indigenous food service providers. Support them.

Insomnia is an indigenous business too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Dionysus wrote: »

Its was called Handel's because it is next to where Handel's Messiah was first performed. There's a statue commemorating the event behind the pub in the courtyard of the appartment block there between Fishamble Street and Cow's lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Guitarman2u2

Popped into Arthur's for a pint after work yesterday..I was impressed. Really chilled atmosphere..Candles on the tables..chilled music and a big open fire going with real "turf" ..Bar staff were friendly ..punters having a pint there seemed cool too. Tried out a burger and chips on the new menu.It went down well with the "perfect" pint of Uncle Artur..Will be going back soon:D

enda1 wrote: »
    Its was called Handel's because it is next to where Handel's Messiah was first performed. There's a statue commemorating the event behind the pub in the courtyard of the appartment block there between Fishamble Street and Cow's lane.

I think you are in the wrong street :)... the pub in question is half a mile away...

• Advertisement

Popped into Arthur's for a pint after work yesterday..I was impressed. Really chilled atmosphere..Candles on the tables..chilled music and a big open fire going with real "turf" ..Bar staff were friendly ..punters having a pint there seemed cool too. Tried out a burger and chips on the new menu.It went down well with the "perfect" pint of Uncle Artur..Will be going back soon:D

A very interesting first post :D!! Would you declare a vested interest by any chance :p?

Advertisement