Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handel Bar on Thomas Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Popped into Arthur's for a pint after work yesterday..I was impressed. Really chilled atmosphere..Candles on the tables..chilled music and a big open fire going with real "turf" ..Bar staff were friendly ..punters having a pint there seemed cool too. Tried out a burger and chips on the new menu.It went down well with the "perfect" pint of Uncle Artur..Will be going back soon:D

I'm sold

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

There used to be Handel's on Dame Street too. Closer to the original performance of the Messiah (Google it). They went into receivership around the same time as the "Celtic Tiger" got its' credit card reposessed.
    As for the location of Robert Emmets unfortunate end, yes...the church referred to is next door. Calling the same boozer "Emmets" would be more historically correct.
    Glad to hear the drink and food are back in order. I pass it most weeks - I'll be drunk and well fed in the corner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

boneless wrote: »
    I think you are in the wrong street :)... the pub in question is half a mile away...

Ah yes.

I just saw Handel's and replied like an idiot.

In fact now that I think about it it was called Karma, no? Also Handle's I think. Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

boneless wrote: »
    I think you are in the wrong street :)... the pub in question is half a mile away...

I was going to post that last night, but thought I'd lost the plot tbh.:D
    enda1 wrote: »
    Ah yes.

I just saw Handel's and replied like an idiot.

In fact now that I think about it it was called Karma, no? Also Handle's I think. Hmm...

The Handels Pub down on Fishamble St was called Karma at one stage, closed down now mind you, was a good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Anyhow, back to the subject - Arthurs. I think you're right, calling it after Robert Emmett would have been more appropriate.

It's not sounding good for the Guinness....maybe drink something else instead?

We are going to try it out again for our next night out next month. I'll report back on the food/drinks situation then.

I agree, I love to see new food/drink premises taking off in Thomas St. It will help the local economy and help the regeneration of the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ColumnLunch

Just back from having some lunch in Arthurs.

First impression is quite mixed.
    On one hand the décor is nice and the candles and turf fire really add to the place. The smell of paint is still there however.

Now to the food. The menu was varied enough but quite small. Think Guinness Stew, Chicken Strips and fries, sandwiches and soup, etc.

I opted for the chicken strips and fries for 9 euro. The serving was absolutely tiny. Around 4/5 Chicken Strips and at most 15 home-made chips. It tasted fine but for that price I expected more. Nash's(Baker's) down the road offer a lot more at a lot smaller price.

I can't comment on the drink as I was on the water due to work but hopefully I will sample a few pints there in the next few weeks.

The place was empty too. Me and my colleague were the only customers.
    They really need to have more advertisements outside about the lunch offers.

Hopefully all these teething problems will be ironed out over the coming weeks and months although I worry that if things don't improve soon then it will quickly close its doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Now to the food. The menu was varied enough but quite small. Think Guinness Stew, Chicken Strips and fries, sandwiches and soup, etc.

Did you happen to spot any veggie options? Other than soup or sandwich!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ColumnLunch

cosmic wrote: »
    Did you happen to spot any veggie options? Other than soup or sandwich!

Yes I did. There was a vegetarian spag bog on the menu. There could have been more but I can't remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Me and the better half went there tonight around 11.30pm.

Great music.
    Crowd of about 40. Maybe 5 couples, and a group of 20.
    Guinness was not as good as the 'locals' such as 'The Clock', or 'Lord Edward'. They do have bottles of Guinness @ 5euro a pop. Pints are 4.20.

Lovely big fireplace, which was on, despite the warm weather.

Overall, I was impressed, and I'd go back... but, what annoyed me was the archaic attitude of come 12.30am, opening ALL doors to blast you out of it with cold air, and to start cleaning the tables with furniture polish despite the fact you're still drinking your pint. I'd expect that if I was a smelly teenager, but not as a 33 year old.

Nice evening all the same. I'll be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Any nice import/microbrew beers on tap here or is it just the usual suspects?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Castle2

Didn't know this place was reopened until I happened to drive by the other day so of course i just had to call back in to have a look!! Was generally impressed with what i found..... nicely decorated- still quite similar to the old place, very clean, my other half and our friend had a guinness which they said was 'lovely and creamy' (personally wouldnt be a guinness connoisseur), our other friend enjoyed a glass of pinot noir while i enjoyed a hoegaarden. we had some food which all 4 of us enjoyed, and the young girl that served us was very friendly and attentive. The barman was also friendly and i wasn't at all surprised to hear that both the waitress and bartender have connections to cavan... (biased much?!!!!:D). looking forward to seeing upstairs when it opens too and was happy to hear it was not going to be a greek restaurant!! nice atmosphere and during our 2 hour stay seems to have a nice clientele (i hope this lasts). Worth checking out for yourselves. We will def go back anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭jleavy046

Was going to go here this evening and there is a sign on the Window
    "Closed Until Further Notice"
    Didn't last long, did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mariatchi

They might be renovating heard a whisper they bought the old bakery next door (St.Catrines) maybe thats the reason.

You would think they would say close for renovations though?
    It's a pitty, I just live behind it!

mariatchi wrote: »
    They might be renovating heard a whisper they bought the old bakery next door (St.Catrines) maybe thats the reason.

Hmm.. I thought the last thing they'd need is more space. I've been in a good few times since it's opened, and on a couple of Saturday nights, there's been me, my mate, and maybe 3 or 4 others.

Really hope it's not closed for good though. I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Fear not folks, I was in it today.. which either means it was open again, or I've been on the sauce a bit too long...

Are you all sure you're not mixing it up with the other Handel named pubs in Dublin, as in, Fishamble St?

The one in Fishamble St. "the George Fredrick H."is a hotel , LOL given the fact I worked there for years when it was part of Kennans and I've lived in the Liberties most of me life ,not likly to get mixed up . Of course have been on the soup lately.Glad to see it's still open.

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Fear not folks, I was in it today.. which either means it was open again, or I've been on the sauce a bit too long...

Are you all sure you're not mixing it up with the other Handel named pubs in Dublin, as in, Fishamble St?
    mariatchi wrote: »
    The one in Fishamble St. "the George Fredrick H."is a hotel , LOL given the fact I worked there for years when it was part of Kennans and I've lived in the Liberties most of me life ,not likly to get mixed up . Of course have been on the soup lately.Glad to see it's still open.

By the way ,it's "Arthurs" not Handels.

I walked past this yesterday about 5.30, it was closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Passed it around 12.30 today and it was opened with signs outside saying Irish food etc.looks very clean and there were a few people in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

CiaranC wrote: »
    I walked past this yesterday about 5.30, it was closed.

Well it was a different pub you passed so, cos I was there at 5.30 exactly... Mayble the thread title could be edited to reflect the actual name of the pub as I really think people are getting confused here.

Well it was a different pub you passed so, cos I was there at 5.30 exactly... Mayble the thread title could be edited to reflect the actual name of the pub as I really think people are getting confused here.

It was indeed, I meant to post this in the Thomas House thread!

This one :D

6041042427_158f9a72e8.jpg

This one :D

6041042427_158f9a72e8.jpg

Yes, that's the one and yes, its opened again....

very strange. Anyway, fear not, normal service restored!

Joe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

And an Irish craft beer (Trouble Brewing Ór) now on tap.

BeerNut wrote: »
    And an Irish craft beer (Trouble Brewing Ór) now on tap.

Brilliant! I shall now venture inside for a pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I will never drink there again.

I was working up the road from there over the summer and ventured in for a work do. The barman was some ****ehawk. Someone got a round in, and he wasn't happy that people were ordering bottles over pints (they were ****e). He made a huge fuss, came from behind the bar and had a go at the people who were ordering pints.

The time before that, the pints were warm, and food was **** (didn't pay for the food, it was that bad). I'd usually make a point of reordering, but we finished our pints and left as they were such plonkers.

I shall never be going "To Arthurs". I am glad to head that Trouble Brewing are in another bar though, what a line of beers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sean7791

discus wrote: »
    I will never drink there again.

I was working up the road from there over the summer and ventured in for a work do. The barman was some ****ehawk. Someone got a round in, and he wasn't happy that people were ordering bottles over pints (they were ****e). He made a huge fuss, came from behind the bar and had a go at the people who were ordering pints.

The time before that, the pints were warm, and food was **** (didn't pay for the food, it was that bad). I'd usually make a point of reordering, but we finished our pints and left as they were such plonkers.

I shall never be going "To Arthurs". I am glad to head that Trouble Brewing are in another bar though, what a line of beers!

First of all, full disclosure, I admit that I am someone who now works in this bar. Really sorry to hear of your bad experiences. Although I'm not trying to make excuses, I must make it clear that the manager who operated the pub up until August is gone, along with all of the old staff bar one. I can also confirm that the post from 'giutarman2U2' was indeed the previous manager. Clearly not the most savvy person in the world.

I can tell you that there is exciting things in development that'll hopefully make the pub a more exciting and more enjoyable place to be. All I can ask is that you perhaps give the place another try.

If people have any questions, complaints or enquiries feel free to post them here or just PM me. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MUFC19

I came across this, so I joined up. I was in there twice and won't be going back. The pint glasses were filthy but I gave the benefit of doubt and when I came back it was the same. I go past the place often and it always seems to be empty. I'd wouldn't be surprised if it's closed before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Passed it on Monday at about 10.30pm and didn't see one person in it.

Advertisement