Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best phone for skype?

Options
  • 01-03-2011 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Currently have a situation where partner is working abroad long term and I was wondering what is the best skype/voip available and the best phone for this purpose? It would be really great to contact them using a smartphone and not have to break the bank on the cost of the calls. All help and advice greatfully appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Three seem to be the best network for it, not sure what handset though, in my experience Skype on Android has been pretty disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I would suggest 3 as well. It's really good on Nokia handsets. There is a special 3 version of Skype on 3 branded handsets which is on-line all the time. The minutes/data usage is outside your minutes/data/texts. I've been in a similar situation and found skype on 3 on E series Nokia was better than any Android or iOS implementation of Skype.

Another good option would be Viber/WhatsApp, both are always on-line, no log-in, etc. Both available on your choice of Android (viber in the coming weeks, iOS already), for unlimited free calls and texts using your dataplan. Smartphone to smartphone. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Three seem to be the best network for it, not sure what handset though, in my experience Skype on Android has been pretty disappointing.

Are you using the Skype app on three phone or the 'Three-Skype app'? The latter is better but for users with a 3G signal only, found it much better myself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The N900 came with skype integration from day one and video calls were introduced with a later version of its firmware. No extra app or anything. Your skype account contacts just become part of your phonebook and can be merged with regular phone contacts if you also have mobile numbers for them.

I've never had any trouble with it and have sat on a bus making a video call on meteor with no problems. Good luck finding yourself an N900 after Nokia have ditched maemo/meego though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭the goon

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I will be waiting til Viber is available on android.

• Advertisement
Advertisement