Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To Australia with Children

• 01-03-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi,

We're likely to be moving to Australia in the next 2 years with our 6 year old son.

We have family there (my wife is Aussie) but it's unlikely we'll have work pre-organised.

Has anyone else done this? If so, any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

In the middle of doing it.

My wife who is Aussie has already gone back with our 3yr old little girl and has settled her into day care while she has managed to get a job . Will be with family for a while till we get our own place .

Think it's a good idea if possible that one person goes first and gets settled while the other keeps working here . Then the other can travel over .

So at least one is always working and money is coming in . It's hard being here and them over there but it'll be worth it in the end .

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

Hi Oz,

Are you shipping anything over? Furniture and hte like? We have a load of furniture coming with us and possibly a car:eek: depending on price... Anyone to recommend?
    Good luck with the move.

No not shipping any thing big only a few small personal things . Priced a 40' Container was was quoted 5,000

Others like http://www.shippingpersonaleffects.com charge for the first box is €195 and the other two boxes are €85 each (Carton size - 18 X 18 X 20 Inches Maximum weight - 30 - 35 kgs per carton)

An Post

Parcel with a weight of 20 Kgs from Dublin to Main centres, Australia. €135

Dimensions

Maximum dimensions:
    Length: 1.5 metres
    Length: + Girth 3 metres (girth = 2 x (Depth + Width)) sending_parcel.gif

So that's why i've dumped most stuff and only bring what i really need to .

Ozeire wrote: »
    No not shipping any thing big only a few small personal things . Priced a 40' Container was was quoted 5,000

:eek: I guess we'll have to work out how much it will be to replace, and compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Will they insure that parcel. I came over 12 years ago and was told they won't insure or slow post to Australia. Needless to say that was the last I saw of my stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

So that's why i've dumped most stuff and only bring what i really need to .

Thats a lot, we got a quote for E3,500 for 40' container, we shipped the lot, sofas, washing machines, beds, toys, all kitchen stuff etc, glad we did cause i'd say it would cost us $15-20,000 at least to buy all that stuff here as it is very expensive here.

man1 wrote: »
    Thats a lot, we got a quote for E3,500 for 40' container, we shipped the lot, sofas, washing machines, beds, toys, all kitchen stuff etc, glad we did cause i'd say it would cost us $15-20,000 at least to buy all that stuff here as it is very expensive here.

That sounds better. We'll definately shop around. Sounds like you have a similar amount of stuff as us so it's good to know the saving was worth it. Our only thing is possibly adding a car too.

dmaxontour wrote: »
    That sounds better. We'll definately shop around. Sounds like you have a similar amount of stuff as us so it's good to know the saving was worth it. Our only thing is possibly adding a car too.

As for the car what year is it and how much would you get if you sold it hear becasue you might find you would get a better car up in the years for the money you got for your car here and would save having to ship it over .

As for the car what year is it and how much would you get if you sold it hear becasue you might find you would get a better car up in the years for the money you got for your car here and would save having to ship it over .

I'll check that out. The car is a 2002 Honda Civic, but we may replace it before we go, in which case we'd only get a Japanese car or a car that is common already in Australia, to keep any repair costs down once we get there.

Advertisement