Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a good portraiture book...

• 01-03-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

could someone please recommend a good portrait photography book? I bought Christopher Grey's "Master Lighting Guide" but I found it a bit lacking in detail and too short.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Noel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Some of the Kelby stuff online is very good

http://www.kelbytraining.com/

I thought "Digital Portrait Photography" by Steve Sint was a good read. Quite detailed.

No idea what Kelby's online training is like, but I have his three "Digital Photography Books" trio box set. Didn't think much of the books at all, to be honest. Very vague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Just don't bother with Karl Taylor. I borrowed his Dvd and from the off he jumps right into extravagant lighting set ups, and his models are terrible.

I learned more from the Zack Arias dvds, but that again was more about lighting [though a lot related to portraiture]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Thanks for all the replies. Just to clarify, when I say a portraiture book, I'm talking about studio lighting for portraits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I'd suggest getting out and doing it rather than reading about it (a bit like a few other activities in life) :)

PS there's a bunch of stuff online at http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html which got me started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hugh_C wrote: »
    I'd suggest getting out and doing it rather than reading about it (a bit like a few other activities in life) :)

PS there's a bunch of stuff online at http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html which got me started.

I need both theory and practice really. I need to know about common pitfalls and things like open and closed loop lighting and how to use a light meter. e.g. Do you point the meter at the camera or the light source and suchlike.

I've a light meter on my phone :D

That's the only one I'll ever own unless I go the film route ... as if.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I've a light meter on my phone :D

That's the only one I'll ever own unless I go the film route ... as if.

I've managed without a meter even with film, Sunny 16 Rule roolz ;)

May as well have one for free on your phone though. Not sure how reliable they are for film bit I've tried it a few times and it seemed closeenougj to spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

someone gave me a book on Cartier Bresson portraits - and along with the Americans, is my favourite photo book - i have gone off his street stuff, but he was a genius at portraits - along with Karsh , no one can touch them today, in my eyes anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement