Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peats Computer store

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Peats have always been a rip

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They probably haven't got the buying power to get the stuff cheaper. I visited a new computer shop local to me in North Kerry for a nose around, and mentioned the prices that I would pay to get various items online, and the owner was immediately depressed because he couldn't buy the parts from his suppliers for less than I was buying them online. He actually showed me a supplier's price-list when I looked at him in disbelief.

Perhaps Irish suppliers need a kick up the arse?

People like Maplin though, have got no excuse for robbing people on both sides of the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They probably haven't got the buying power to get the stuff cheaper. I visited a new computer shop local to me in North Kerry for a nose around, and mentioned the prices that I would pay to get various items online, and the owner was immediately depressed because he couldn't buy the parts from his suppliers for less than I was buying them online. He actually showed me a supplier's price-list when I looked at him in disbelief.

People like Maplin though, have got no excuse for robbing people on both sides of the Irish Sea.

I seen a 9600GT in Maplin in the last 5-6 months for €280, I kid you not. It seems to be a general theme, suppliers in Ireland add a very large margin. Even Tesco complained about it.

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    I seen a 9600GT in Maplin in the last 5-6 months for €280, I kid you not. It seems to be a general theme, suppliers in Ireland add a very large margin. Even Tesco complained about it.

I only ever buy small components etc from Maplin, and wouldn't even dream of buying anything else from them. I lived about ten minutes away from one in the UK, years ago, and had no incentive to buy anything from them then either, because they were so fecking expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The Peats card is Sapphire, Komplett MSI and the Overclockers unit is HIS. You're not comparing the same card but rather variations of it which can have significantly differing cost prices.

• Advertisement

The Peats card is Sapphire, Komplett MSI and the Overclockers unit is HIS. You're not comparing the same card but rather variations of it which can have significantly differing cost prices.

Not really, all vanilla cards. Significant price differences in non reference models. Which is none of those listed.
    http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/Sapphire-ATI-Radeon-HD6970-2GB-GDDR5-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-Retail_36100.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FVZE6K/ref=asc_df_B004FVZE6K2172231?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004FVZE6K

Sapphire

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/253043?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-msi-radeon-hd6970-pci-e-21-%28x16%29-5500mhz-gddr5-gpu-880mhz-1536-cores-dvi-mhdmi-mdp?utm_source=google+shopping
    MSI

You are still looking at circa €100 which is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

voxpop wrote: »
    Peats have always been a rip
    There is a reason for this, IE they are a high street store catering for those that "want it now", Their are located in premium rate parts of the city. The fact that you are able to purchase conveniently over the counter means that you can easily bark at staff should dealings go pear-shaped.

Komplett on the other hand operate from a warehouse half way across the city, You either wait several days to get your product delivered at expense or take several bus trips or waste half the day going out to pick it up in person. Should something go wrong you may have to repeat the above and be without your product for several more days unlike Peats where they may have a similar product in stock.

Some people are willing to pay the extra for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Online store, operates in warehosue, staff paid monday to friday standard hours.
    Cost for warehosue, utilities & say 4 staff = approx 150,000 per year

Bricks & Mortar store in standard shopping centre even at today's "reduced" rents with 4 staff 1000 sq ft. + rates + service charge + utilities = circa €400,000.

Some people want to "snift & scratch" before the buy, others are happy to buy on experience over the net and will save money doing so.

Its not a rip off, its basic economics of the 2 situations.

Well if you guys think a 30% mark-up is not a rip off, good for you guys. FYI the overclockers.co.uk is a bricks and mortar store in the UK. Who also sell online.

Well if you guys think a 30% mark-up is not a rip off, good for you guys. FYI the overclockers.co.uk is a bricks and mortar store in the UK. Who also sell online.

seems to be a 10% - 20% price difference in both UK & USA for MSI v HIS

MSI cheapest online price is uk £299 - usa $379 + sales tax.

There's obviously some reason why its more expensive even in the same stores. So the comparison you ahve goven is incorrect. £299 is about €360 - the same price as komplett.

• Advertisement

91011 wrote: »
    seems to be a 10% - 20% price difference in both UK & USA for MSI v HIS

MSI cheapest online price is uk £299 - usa $379 + sales tax.

There's obviously some reason why its more expensive even in the same stores. So the comparison you ahve goven is incorrect. £299 is about €360 - the same price as komplett.

As someone pointed out, the Peats card is Sapphire, so I am comparing the two sapphire cards.

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/product/Sapphire-ATI-Radeon-HD6970-2GB-GDDR5-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-Retail_36100.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FVZE6K/ref=asc_df_B004FVZE6K2172231?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004FVZE6K

So at today's conversion works out around €317 + say p&p of €20 if you order alone so €337

So we will say around 25% more pricey

Get 2 in crossfire in peats, €838, online €654 so about 28%

A reasonable price for peats to be selling these cards would be €350, not €419

Also if you take the average price online for a HD6950 at today's rate €262 & €20 p&p so €282. In peats it is €309. I would not complain about that, it is in the general ball park.

Which means they can in fact be competitive, they are just price gouging on the HD6970

Now you're comparing a special offer of 22% off which is sold out to a regular price in a regualr store.

Quite unfair.

Yesterday Dunnes had domestos 1lt fo €1. Its about €1.30 in tesco. Tesco can't be accused of ripping me off based on a temporary special offer.

Great if you find the offers and happy to buy from the online stores - but it doesn't mean another store is ripping you off, just means you found a great offer on the item you wanted.

Though I notice the 1gb version is €229 with cheapest uk price £176, a differenc of about 5%.

Now you're comparing a special offer of 22% off which is sold out to a regular price in a regualr store.

Quite unfair.

Yesterday Dunnes had domestos 1lt fo €1. Its about €1.30 in tesco. Tesco can't be accused of ripping me off based on a temporary special offer.

Great if you find the offers and happy to buy from the online stores - but it doesn't mean another store is ripping you off, just means you found a great offer on the item you wanted.

There are two links, 1 is out of stock. When I originall posted it a few posts it was not out of stock. Check other link. To I really have to go surfing to find more links for you?

If you are comparing a bottle of domestos to a High end piece of computer tech, then I cannot talk to you.

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=63306&tid=frooct

€326 @ TODAYS RATE
    There are a tonne of sites with similar prices

So tell me if its all down to overheads, why can they be reasonably priced on a 6950 and not a 6970????

Though I notice the 1gb version is €229 with cheapest uk price £176, a differenc of about 5%.

Thats a different card FYI and its €249, assuming your talking about peats HD "6870" 1GB

you're missing the point. Plenty of sites are charging levels close to peats, plenty of site are charging 30% less. That's competition. It not that every store more expensive than the cheapest store is ripping people off.

As you say, peats can be good value on some items, not on others,. The same can be said for most stores.

Also in the computer parts area, prices change frequently, so shopping around is very advisable as you may be lucky and get a new lower price from a store that has just got a new batch in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

As RTDH says, you pay for the availability today

Say I am going to a LAN tomorrow. My GPU packs up this morning. I can either go to Peats and get a card and have a fun weekend, or I can order it online and wait until Monday for it.

Not everything is in the price of the item.

you're missing the point. Plenty of sites are charging levels close to peats, plenty of site are charging 30% less. That's competition. It not that every store more expensive than the cheapest store is ripping people off.

As you say, peats can be good value on some items, not on others,. The same can be said for most stores.

Also in the computer parts area, prices change frequently, so shopping around is very advisable as you may be lucky and get a new lower price from a store that has just got a new batch in.

Ok so it's not now because of overheads, its because other sites try to rip people off so peats are just giving it a try also. The RRP is €349 of my memory serves me.
    Most reputable retailers hover around this figure due to competition.

So it is in fact not competition as you say, a gap of 25% is not competition. Peats are no competing with anyone, they are just setting a price they want hoping to catch out people who have not done their homework.

How can you say it's competition with such a gap? How can you justify price gouging because others do it too? It's ok, because others are trying to rip people off too!?

Anyway I have nothing more to say.

As RTDH says, you pay for the availability today

Say I am going to a LAN tomorrow. My GPU packs up this morning. I can either go to Peats and get a card and have a fun weekend, or I can order it online and wait until Monday for it.

Not everything is in the price of the item.

You would pay say 70-80€ extra for the exact same item? Mabye it is just me then, I know I would not.
    I would splash a lot on cash on hardware, best you can buy, but I would always look for the cheapest I could find.

Last post :D this time

Ok so it's not now because of overheads, its because other sites try to rip people off so peats are just giving it a try also. The RRP is €349 of my memory serves me.
    Most reputable retailers hover around this figure due to competition.

So it is in fact not competition as you say, a gap of 25% is not competition. Peats are no competing with anyone, they are just setting a price they want hoping to catch out people who have not done their homework.

How can you say it's competition with such a gap? How can you justify price gouging because others do it too? It's ok, because others are trying to rip people off too!?

Anyway I have nothing more to say.
    You would pay say 70-80€ extra for the exact same item? Mabye it is just me then, I know I would not.
    I would splash a lot on cash on hardware, best you can buy, but I would always look for the cheapest I could find.

Last post :D this time

You're forcing the argument to make your original point look valid.

Peats are no dearer than other brick & mortar stores and not much dearer than many ineternet stores. You find one or two stores that are sellling the one product you are looking for cheaper and you claim peats are ripping you off?

It is a case of you have found a couple of online stores that are offering particularly good value / offer on the one item you want. Fair play to you. But it still does not show a rip-off.

As others have said, high stree stores do offer an advantage, but they do have seriously higher costs. That comes at a price premium to stores that can operate out of a warhosue in the middle of nowhere.

I operate internet stores myself and am 20% cheaper than every retailer, yet only get about 4% of Irish sales becuase most people like to feel, see & try the product before buying - It doesn't mean Arnotts are ripping people off because I'm 20% cheaper. It means I'm passing on the fact that I have a tiny rent, lower wage costs and small rates & other costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Yes. God forbid it costs extra for them to ship something from their warehouses to Ireland.

Yes. God forbid it costs extra for them to ship something from their warehouses to Ireland.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

:confused:

Stuff gets shipped their UK warehouses. They pay the transport company for this. I know people who work in Maplins, they don't have a warehouse in Ireland because they only have six stores here so they have to have it shipped a second time. For most items, I would assume this is why they cost that bit extra. Some items though, yes, they are stupidly expensive and over priced.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I tend to consider that the premium you voluntarily pay when you purchase in a local shop is to cover the fact that you can touch/n/feel the item and get it right now.

I like buying online but some items are either needed immediately or are too large to ship back if you need service (TVs for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Maplin in Jervis Street in Dublin have these USB "A to B" type cables for €14.99

These cables are frequently used to connect a printer to a computer.

These are just the same as the ones in Tesco for €1.99

Maplin also had a model of this cable from Belkin for €19.99. This is an
    orange and grey cable, I have one myself. I bought this several years ago
    for €19.99 before Tesco and others started selling them at budget prices.

Advertisement