Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you Ferment you Yeast in?

• 01-03-2011 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I know plastic buckets with airlocks, and stainless containers with aluminum bottoms are common.

I was just hoping for a sample of what home brewers were doing, if you have a minute.

This is an area seldom address in distillation, because once sterilized and heated it's just not of great concern.

If you search the moonshiner documentaries on youtube you'll see them using huge blue plastic farm barrels cut in half with no tops :eek::confused:

Swift
    awhiskeydrink.com

PS No, I'm not moonshinning; I'm just an interested grad student who studies food

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Plastic fementors for me there are cheap and if infectied are easily replaced

Hers is mine in action in the fementaion fridge
    coconut.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 awhiskeydrink

nice setup. looks like you're running and aeration tube in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

nice setup. looks like you're running and aeration tube in?

Na it just for blow off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Glass Carboy and Converted Aluminium Kegs for me. I don't use plastic buckets any more.
    As Oblivious said, they are cheap and easy to replace if you get an infection but I would rather not risk getting one in the first place.

That said, an infection is not always a bad thing. It depends on what strain of wild yeast gets in. You could end up with a rather tasty and refreshing sour beer.

Advertisement