Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location of wireless alarm control panels

Options
  • 01-03-2011 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Maybe a silly question but given that the control panels for wireless alarms seem to typically have integrated keypads and arming/disarm buttons, where are they normally located. Back in the day, when panels were just blank panels, they'd be located next to the fuse panel or in a hot press, but are they now sometimes located in say the main hallway or near a back door so that they can be used also as the main or second keypad. Obviously that doesn't seem ideal from a security (and mains wiring now that I think about it) point of view, hence my 'maybe a silly question' bit at the start!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

They can be installed in the hall, under stairs anywhere really as they are wire free. They have a pry off tamper on the back in case they are riped off the wall. For other points of entry you can always install a wire free keypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

I get you but even with the tamper protection I'd be nervous about having the 'brains' of the system so exposed. I suppose less so though if all the sirens were completely wireless.

Mains access in my hallway (i.e. near the front door, but fuse box is actually at the back of the house) also seems interesting -> actually now that I think about it, it would probably end up looking a bit 'ugly' if say you tapped into a ring main/lighting circuit and had to also put a fused spur box near the panel/keypad. Is this what's normally done in these cases? I bloody wish I knew someone who had a wireless system installed so I could have a nose!!

Are the remote keypads typically 100% wireless, i.e. running off batteries and not requiring any connection to a 6/12V supply from the panel?

The power is taken off a socket to a 3amp fused spur then into the panel. Have you got no socket in your hall ? The main phone line is nearly always located in the hall also. Cables for power and phone can either be ran behind the wall if dry lined or in a protective trunken. The external bell, keypads, sensors are all wire free. They work of batteries installed in the devices. You can get a two way keypad that will work off mains plus has a back up battery with the powermax system. This is like using the main control panel but is just a two-way keypad with voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Ah yeah, that's what I figured. There's a socket alright but it's a good 5m down the hall which seems a bit far from the front door! Probably grand if you're using keyfobs but I think that keypads are more practical and secure (there's not an issue if you lose your keys with a keyfob attached!). As for a phone line, that comes into the kitchen! Interestingly enough though, it happens to be on the opposite face of the wall to the socket so can be pulled through into the hallway if nec. Hmmm... don't like the idea of using lots of trunking to bring the power/line nearer the front door and it would have to be routed around a door opening too!

Note that that house was wired for an alarm when it was built in 2004... Only issue is that I suspect it was done by a retired electrician related to the guy who built it! There's no wires to any of the windows or doors but there is one for a bellbox, an internal siren in the hallway, a PIR in the hallway and another PIR in one of the rooms upstairs. :mad: I don't think he believed in the concept of perimeter protection! Or in the use of remote keypads. Anyway, these wires all come out in the utility room so I have to ask, do the Powermax systems support a wired SABB and internal siren? That might rule out the option of locating the panel at the fuse panel in the utility room.

Altor, I appreciate all your many responses!! Hopefully my persistent questioning is near an end!

Always happy to help with any questions you have MrThrifty :D

Trunken on the top of the skirting board can be done very neat if they are white, A bit of filler on top and you would barely notice. Same with removing the skirting and running the power cable in behind it.
    Do you know if he wired for a keypad in the hall, it may be behind a light switch? Just make sure you turn off the mains if you go looking ;)
    If so maybe a hybrid system could be installed and use the cables that are in place plus use wire free devices on the windows you need covered. Might be an option for you..

Yes, the powermax can take a wired or wire free bell, same with internal bell.

Keyfobs on this system are easily deleted through your user menu if lost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement