Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch/Router Recommendations

Options
  • 01-03-2011 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭

I need a switch for some multicasting of DTT signals I am testing on my small LAN.
    It is mostly just for proof of concept and some tests ..... I am not sure how long it will be used.

So I need a switch which is IGMP snooping aware it seems to prevent the LAN from being flooded by the multicast data.

All the switches I have found are waaaay over my spend target .... minimum possible :D

So I thought of using a router (in bridge mode?) for the purpose.

So ...... will this work to isolate the multicasting PC from the main router?

What very cheap router with IGMP snooping would be recommended?

Thanks for all suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

(cannot seem to find the edit button to edit the original post)

I don't like posting unnecessarily, but I could use some assistance in choosing a suitable router for my purpose.

Just to reiterate ........ I want to use it to block unnecessary multicast traffic from the rest of the LAN.

I am hopeful of getting one for less than €100.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisement