Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I just bought a Mamiya C330

• 01-03-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭

Just wondering did anyone feel like chatting about it?

Feeling a bit lonley here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Only to say I'm jealous and you have enough cameras as it is. I can't wait to see results too. Can not wait!

Edit: Feeling a bit antsy about getting it and using it like a kid with a new toy???? I understand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Its one of those cameras that I like so much that I always vowed to have more than one of... plus the frame spacing can be a bit odd on the other from time to time which pizzes me off.

67 million megapixels, HD Video recording, Live View, Expresso Maker and Panini press all built in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

jpb1974 wrote: »

It was a very foolish purchase indeed, as everyone knows that C330's are really crap. To that end I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands for a nominal sum and dispose it for you.

Actually SlidingInfinity got one recently as well with a 65mm. What did you get with yours ? 80 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

It was a very foolish purchase indeed, as everyone knows that C330's are really crap. To that end I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands for a nominal sum and dispose it for you.

I'll give slightly more than DQ and will travel to do so.

Comes with a 'Blue Dot' 80 (no idea what the blue dot actually means other than a blue dot on the lens, could be an improvement over earlier 80mm's).. camera & lens in mint condition... good price, couldn't pass it up.

There's a 65mm and a 55mm... the later being the rarer, the one I've been watching out for for yonks and typically priced at more than a body + 80mm :mad:

• Advertisement

I'll give slightly more than DQ and will travel to do so.

I'd sell just about every other camera* I have before I'd give up my Mamiya TLR.

* I'll have to keep at least one digi body cos they are handy for some things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Lovely camera :)

I brought my Mamiya 645 out for the weekend. Shot my girlfriends' sisters' 21st birthday party on it, some latte art in 3FE and did some shots of a Chemex on it this morning. All shot on E6, will be developing it tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing what comes of it.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new Portra film yet?

All shot on E6, will be developing it tomorrow

DIY dev?

Feck... ordered a few bits from 7Day this morn, knew there was something I had forgot.

Picked up a Konica Big Mini last week.. apparently a cult classic so I decided I had to have one. Wasn't overly impressed with the results.. mixed bag... that being said the sun was very bright at the weekend... too contrasty.

DIY dev?
    Yep - In one of the larger Jobo's, scanning on a Flextight then!

Feck... ordered a few bits from 7Day this morn, knew there was something I had forgot.
    I'm definitely curious about it - be sure to post your results!

Fajitas! wrote: »

I was going to put in a big order on 7dayshop for the 400 and they went and announced the 160 the other day. Now I have to wait. Grr. And I'm almost out of ektar :-0
    Picked up a Konica Big Mini last week.. apparently a cult classic so I decided I had to have one. Wasn't overly impressed with the results.. mixed bag... that being said the sun was very bright at the weekend... too contrasty.

I was looking for one for a while, Tokyo Camera Style has a lot to answer for ...

From what I remember from when I was looking at TLRs, the blue dot is a more recent lens or something. I can't remember if there was anything about design or coatings or anything. Does the C330 do that parallax thing in the finder ?

• Advertisement

See, I'd much prefer the 400 to the 160 - The grain is getting too controlled on the lower ISO's these days! I like the texture that 400+ gives :)

Tokyo Camera Style has a lot to answer for ...

It certainly does...
    Does the C330 do that parallax thing in the finder ?

Not sure bout that.
    I was going to put in a big order on 7dayshop for the 400 and they went and announced the 160 the other day. Now I have to wait. Grr. And I'm almost out of ektar :-0

Bought a load of 120 TriX. Meant to try the new Portra but forget all about it. Loads of Ektar at home if you're stuck for a few

Isn't she lovely?

$(KGrHqIOKjoE0YnkdDQ2BN,rm18b1g~~_12.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Isn't she lovely?]

Yup, sure is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

:) Looks very nice!

This arrived for me by post on Friday last (25th Feb). It was posted in China on the 23rd November! Bought it as a Christmas present on eBay for $60.

medium.jpg

Part way through a roll of TMax-400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

TLR's are great, I love my ~Autocord Although on occassion it has wind on issues and I get overlapping negatives. the 330 is a heavy beasite ain't exactly a back pack camera.. I mulled over one for a long while.. your one looks a beauty, great nick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

@jbp1974: Are you processing yourself? Any ideas where to find chemicals in Wexford? I can get developer and fixer in Ger Carthy's in Enniscorthy but the selection is quite limited. I also have a TLR, its a yashica-mat but I shoot a lot of 35mm colour as well but have really been limited to getting it processed in labs. I'd like to shoot more b&w and develop at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

beauty. have a c220 myself with the 80mm. Beautiful quality, so sharp.

@jbp1974: Are you processing yourself? Any ideas where to find chemicals in Wexford? I can get developer and fixer in Ger Carthy's in Enniscorthy but the selection is quite limited.

Yes... B+W (typically using Rodinal + Ilford Fixer) and Colour (using the Fuji Hunt X-Press C41 Dev Kit).

I typically buy the chemicals online or in Gunnes in Dublin. Drop me a PM and I'll see if I can hook you up with anything.
    the 330 is a heavy beasite

I think it could be lighter than a 5D MKII with a 24-70 F2.8 and battery grip, it just not a camera that really lends itself for hanging around your neck. I do take it out to the streets from time to time though.

How much is the Fuji C41 kit in Gunnes?

• Advertisement

If my memory serves me correctly it was €45 (cheaper than Maco at the time).

Thanks - Must make a trip over tomorrow.

Thanks - Must make a trip over tomorrow.

I've been trying to get over to gunnes for the last few weeks, ever since my current C-41 kit gave up the ghost. That last batch of colour on my flickr I did with it, things went south a little bit ...

Same one I use, the fuji hunt one. Each kit lasts me a year or more so I get good value out of it :-) I might pick up the E6 kit as well if they have it there when I (eventually) get up there.

Are gunnes open late thursdays actually ?

I'll be putting the chems through a JOBO, so they'll last about 1/4 of that Daire.

I really don't know if they open late - I wouldd think so, but couldn't tell you for sure.

Anyone have any idea how well expired 3 bath E6 chems will work out? Maybe 4/5 years out of date? They're all bottled and still sealed. I'm not too worried about perfect colours :)

Each kit lasts me a year or more so I get good value out of it :-)

The 5L kit? How do you store it? Do you make it up in small (500ml or 1000ml) batches? How long do these last? How many development sessions? Mainly slow or fast film (100, 200, 400)? How do you extend the times? Many similar questions about your E6 kits!

I've a C41 1L kit that I made up in late December. I put about 8 rolls of 400 ASA through it, and all were OK. Cheap film it was. The made up kit has been in the cellar (< 10C) since then. I'm thinking of a test roll in the next while to see how much is left in the kit.

At the same time, I made up 1L from a 5L E6 kit. I've run 8 or so rolls through it. I'm pretty close to throwing out this, and making up a second litre. It's been stored in the bathroom for 8 weeks, and in temperatures of 22C.

Thoughts or experiences?

The 5L kit?
    €43 (correction) for the 5L kit in Gunnes (purchased around the time this thread was posted http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055927349)
    How do you store it?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120535688609
    Do you make it up in small (500ml or 1000ml) batches?
    1000ML batches.
    How long do these last?
    Not sure, never pushed it to the limits. DQ may have answered same in the post above.
    How many development sessions?
    Not sure, never pushed it to the limits. DQ may have answered same in the post above.
    Mainly slow or fast film (100, 200, 400)?
    Same dilutions and development times irrespective of the film speed.
    How do you extend the times?
    You don't, I think, but am total and utterly open to correction.

When do we see some results??

aidanic wrote: »
    The 5L kit? How do you store it? Do you make it up in small (500ml or 1000ml) batches? How long do these last? How many development sessions? Mainly slow or fast film (100, 200, 400)? How do you extend the times? Many similar questions about your E6 kits!

I've a C41 1L kit that I made up in late December. I put about 8 rolls of 400 ASA through it, and all were OK. Cheap film it was. The made up kit has been in the cellar (< 10C) since then. I'm thinking of a test roll in the next while to see how much is left in the kit.

At the same time, I made up 1L from a 5L E6 kit. I've run 8 or so rolls through it. I'm pretty close to throwing out this, and making up a second litre. It's been stored in the bathroom for 8 weeks, and in temperatures of 22C.

Thoughts or experiences?

I do it up 500ml at a time, and use it for a few weeks and between 1 and 5 rolls of film before tossing it. Concentrates last for about a year given my usage. I generally extend the times a bit toward the end of the few weeks or if I've put a few films through it ,but I'm pretty haphazard with times/temps anyhow. My only hope is that the errors cancel each other out more or less.

Tons of info in that thread referenced by jpb1974.

When do we see some results??

From the C330 or the Fuji Hunt kit?

This is the only Mamiya TLR + Fuji Hunt (Kodak Portra NC) photo I have taken (posted before on a Random thread).

5177689093_156806386d.jpg
    but I'm pretty haphazard with times/temps anyhow. My only hope is that the errors cancel each other out more or less.

I'll second that.

• Advertisement

Well, the C330!
    but I'm pretty haphazard with times/temps anyhow. My only hope is that the errors cancel each other out more or less.
    I'll second that.

Yup, me too. I never worried too much temps, and just added on a few minutes on the dev times. I've gotten better. Well, the JOBO has... :pac:

Thanks guys - I'm doing much the same then. I might want to reduce my made up quantities to 500ml from 1L, and get a few more rolls through in the "6 week window". I'll throw a test roll through my old C41 chemistry tonight, and see what happens.

I see you guys are all on the Fji Hunt chemistry, while I'm using Tetenal for colour and R09 for BW. My Maco delivery costs are alot less...

I see you guys are all on the Fji Hunt chemistry, while I'm using Tetenal for colour and R09 for BW. My Maco delivery costs are alot less...

I just pick mine up in Gunnes whenever I run out. Delivery costs = nil.

I'd be dubious about the blix in those tetenal kits (it's dev/blix instead of dev/bleach/fix/stab right ?). Blix is inherently unstable due to its nature, seperate bleach and fix last for quite a long time but combined into a blix they can react with one another and go off quite quickly apparently. My one big c-41 dev fail was with a bunch of tetenal chemistry that was only a few weeks old.

We have two batches of E6 Tetanol chems, but can't find an expiry date - You reckon they're gone, Daire?

We have two batches of E6 Tetanol chems, but can't find an expiry date - You reckon they're gone, Daire?

Are they mixed ? Or still sealed up ? No harm in trying a test couple of frames.

Still sealed - In fact, I only broke the seal on the boxes today.

I have to run a few washes through the machine tomorrow, and I'll see about running a roll through it tomorrow evening. I've never done my own slide dev before, so I'm trying cut down on as many variables for f*cking up as I possibly can.

• Advertisement

Still sealed - In fact, I only broke the seal on the boxes today.

I have to run a few washes through the machine tomorrow, and I'll see about running a roll through it tomorrow evening. I've never done my own slide dev before, so I'm trying cut down on as many variables for f*cking up as I possibly can.

The jobo I guess will keep the entire thing at a nice even temperature at least, right ? If the blix is gone you can always use C-41 bleach/fix anyhow. I've successfully developed slides in a diafine first dev and reversal followed by normal C-41.

I'll throw a test roll through my old C41 chemistry tonight, and see what happens.

Sorry to the OP - I'm way off topic by now, interesting that it is*. The C41 is still going strong, and while it's warm, I'll push a second roll through.

*The C330, from which I'm looking forward to seeing pictures developed, and also eeking the last from some old chemistry.

Yep, it should do - We got it plumbed in, so there's a regulator bringing all the water in at the right temps, as well as the built in temp. controls. Hopefully we should be able to dev a tank in 15 mins tops - Can fit 20 sheets of 4x5 in too. Sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

damn you. How much and where?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056140408&highlight=mamiya

im still deciding , also considering a kiev88

The Kiev's are Hasselblad knock offs, without the copal/leaf shutter - 2nd hand HB's are going so cheap now, you'd be better off going for one of those :)

• Advertisement

on ebay? completed listings show prices 1k and up for hassel

I think there was a kit on Adverts.ie for about €400. That was about 6 months ago now, but they're definitely going for cheaper than 1k - Look for the 500/501 c/m range. Nothing with a battery if possible.

If you really want to save money, buy the kit piece by piece - I think Thonda on here has been doing that - You'll get a body for 100 pounds, 150ish pounds for a standard 80mm lens, 50 for a back and 50 for a waist level viewfinder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Actually SlidingInfinity got one recently as well with a 65mm. What did you get with yours ? 80 ?

Did pick up a Mamiya TLR the C220 though:

5383403085_52a8ecd944_z.jpg
    Still Life of Fruit by SlidingInfinity, on Flickr

Got the grip, a lightmeter, extra batteries for it and a bag for 175 USD. :eek:
    Just waiting to get the first roll I have put though it back.

Bought the Minolta talker the same weekend. (:p - Fajitas)
    gerk86 wrote: »
    beauty. have a c220 myself with the 80mm. Beautiful quality, so sharp.

Got the 65mm with mine. :)

Will be doing my own Dev as soon as we move in to our own house. Hopefully later this year.

I think there was a kit on Adverts.ie for about €400. That was about 6 months ago now, but they're definitely going for cheaper than 1k - Look for the 500/501 c/m range. Nothing with a battery if possible.

If you really want to save money, buy the kit piece by piece - I think Thonda on here has been doing that - You'll get a body for 100 pounds, 150ish pounds for a standard 80mm lens, 50 for a back and 50 for a waist level viewfinder.

thanks for them tips. Il have a look
    kev results look fantastic, havent seen many class ones from hasselblad
    but could be just the case that people couldnt afford it and more variety of shots on display by the cheap knock off that is kiev [in regards to flickr]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Congrats on your purchase!;)

Placebo wrote: »
    kev results look fantastic, havent seen many class ones from hasselblad

090715-moon-flag-02.jpg

And if you've some time on your hands, Clicky and Clicky. They were 'the' cameras to have for quite a while, particularly in fashion photography, though loads of photographers used them throughout the years, from Ansel Adams to Diane Arbus and Helmut Newton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Good for landscapes as well as candids:

600px-NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

If you are not in a hurry, you can get good bargains on e-bay. Just keep on watching .com and .de pages. The cheapest bodies are EL/M (with motor) and you can get them for circa $120. My recent purchase was Sonnar 1:4 150mm for £99.
    And because it was cold and humid, I didn't test it in the morning. Might do that now. Still have another body (500C for £159) to test too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Sorry to hijack but this was the last thread with C41 discussed. I just developed a couple of rolls and when they dried there was spots on the film, some sort of sticky substance. Any ideas what it could be? My main question though is can I just wash them in water with some photo flo or should that not be done after the stabilizer? Would I be better off washing them in stabilizer again?

Effects wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but this was the last thread with C41 discussed. I just developed a couple of rolls and when they dried there was spots on the film, some sort of sticky substance. Any ideas what it could be? My main question though is can I just wash them in water with some photo flo or should that not be done after the stabilizer? Would I be better off washing them in stabilizer again?

The stab bath is normally a rinse aid (like photo-flo or ilfotol) and some type of fungicide/bacteriacide or something. Formalin used to be used but I don't think it is any more. That's in there to avoid little critters munching away on the gelatine. They love it. B&W film doesn't need it because the silver in the emulsion does the job, being itself quite a potent anti-microbial agent. If you rinse again in just photo-flo you risk washing this out of the emulsion and your negs might get all gobbled up.

TL;DR : rinse again in stabiliser bath and see if that does the trick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement