Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specially Packed for Superquinn

Options
  • 01-03-2011 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

A lot of food items we buy in Superquinn in Sutton are labelled Specially packed for Superquinn,Lucan, Co Dublin ... does this mean it's Irish? I think not .... but it's a sneaky way of giving the IMPRESSION that it's Irish ...I thought the country of origin of all food items had to be on the label by law.... am I wrong? Or this this a way Superquinn get around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

just like specially packed for aldi etc. It just means superquinn will handle all customer queries relating to the product which saves the supplier time and money so you get ypur product cheaper. I doubt the tinned pineapples are irish bet they are specially selected!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Superquinn Head Office is in Lucan, so all their own brand products would have their HO address on them

The displaying of the name and head office address of the company does not imply, in any way, that the product in question is Irish. However, a lot of their own brand products are Irish

Meat and dairy products are required to show the country of origin by means of an EU stamp

It's a quality assurance label, Superquinn are putting their own name on the product but I would not for a second assume something branded "superquinn" was Irish.

Go into tesco, pick up a bottle of their *finest* chilean wine, it will say specially selected for Tesco. It's in every supermarket on almost every branded product.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

jahalpin wrote: »
    Superquinn Head Office is in Lucan, so all their own brand products would have their HO address on them

The displaying of the name and head office address of the company does not imply, in any way, that the product in question is Irish. However, a lot of their own brand products are Irish

Meat and dairy products are required to show the country of origin by means of an EU stamp

The EU plant code shows code of the processing plant which processed the food item. It only applies to products processed within the EU and does not purport to show the origin of the ingredients. For example, Brazilian beef can be stamped with a EU plant code if it has been processed in some way (even just carving it up into portions and packaging it is enough processing) in the EU.

Advertisement