Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ECDL Computing Courses?

• 01-03-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

(Sorry if this is in wrong section)

I'm 16 and my school is starting to do ECDL courses next week. It is €200 for now until June(end of school year).

Since I plan on doing Computer Science & Software Engineering(CSSE) in uni, I will, no doubt be in this field for pretty much the rest of my life and I was wondering whether:

A) It will be very beneficial in (helping me) getting me a job and it may give me an edge with employers against other people who have done the CSSE course in uni but do not have the ECDL course.

or

B) It will be of no relevance once I get a college degree in CSSE?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

I cant see the ECDDL being of any relevance if you get a Degree but it would be beneficial if you dont currently know your way around a computer.

Also its no harm to have as many qualifications as you can these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,311 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think its a joke, but then again, it's really a certificate designed around making sure you know a computers arse from it's elbow, know how to do some basic tasks, and do some of the more common Office Suite functions, like Spreadsheets and Databases. Employers will look out for it because its easy to get and lets them know you aren't a complete illiterate, which in fairness is a real impedance these days if you can't use one. Some people think they lost a job because they're being age-discriminated when really it might be because you didn't know what an Excel was, or a Google.

Even if you know how to do things, never underestimate the weight of paper. Certificates, Licenses, Degrees, etc. All carry far more clout than just saying "Yes I can do that".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

(Sorry if this is in wrong section)

I'm 16 and my school is starting to do ECDL courses next week. It is €200 for now until June(end of school year).

Since I plan on doing Computer Science & Software Engineering(CSSE) in uni, I will, no doubt be in this field for pretty much the rest of my life and I was wondering whether:

A) It will be very beneficial in (helping me) getting me a job and it may give me an edge with employers against other people who have done the CSSE course in uni but do not have the ECDL course.

or

B) It will be of no relevance once I get a college degree in CSSE?

courses you would be better off looking at for your chosen careers is 1. cisco certified network associate (ccna) and 2. comptia and 3. microsoft certified engineer (mce) courses.

all of which u can do remotely. and just register to do the exam when you are ready to.

Advertisement