Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Security phone scam

• 01-03-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

I just got a call from someone claiming to be from Windows Security Providers(?), something like that. He wanted to know if I was the registered owner of my Windows PC. When I said I was he said I had been hacked and he would run me through the steps to show this. He told me to open the cmd file and type in 'INF' and then proceeded to tell me all the files in this folder were hacker files that were being used to access my ip. I strung him along for a bit trying to see what he was after. But I was waiting on an important phonecall so I just asked him what he was trying sell me and he immediately hung up. Anyone experienced this yet or know what they were phishing for?

Comments

Advertisement