Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places For a Pint Midweek

Options
  • 01-03-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭

Looking for some where to have have a nice few pints on Wednesday. Im 22 so some where with a nice age crowd and no scum please:D

Im not from Cork just up for my girlfriends Bday as she works in Cork but doesn't go out so wouldn't know where to go either.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What kind of night do you want? Relaxed and sitting down, loud and sitting down, loud and standing, clubbing, smoking area...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Faith wrote: »
    What kind of night do you want? Relaxed and sitting down, loud and sitting down, loud and standing, clubbing, smoking area...

Bit of music but not so loud you cant hear yourself talk. Sitting would be good, no smoking area needed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Any particular type of music?

Buceph wrote: »
    Any particular type of music?

Anything im open to a good live band.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Quad on Tuckey St does a good few gigs. Unfortunately the place is a black hole for atmosphere. An Bodhran on Oliver Plunkett would also have a bit of live music but I always reckoned it was a little cramped in there. An Spailpin on South Main St (I think...?) does trad sessions I'm fairly sure. But if I were having a midweek pint I'd usually hit up the Oval across from it, Tom Barrys on Barrack St or else the Franciscan is always nice.

Bierhaus is good too if you like a good selection of beers.

Oh, and there's the Crane Lane which is a late bar, decent crowd and decent gigs but I got fed up of the place being absolutely jammed so I'm not sure how crowded it is on Wednesdays these days.

• Advertisement

I'd recommend The Oval or Mutton Lane. You won't get live music in either, but they're lovely intimate pubs with great atmosphere. Crane Lane, Tom Barry's and Franciscan Well are all great if you've got smokers in the group, but I wouldn't personally bother with them unless it was summer if a smoking area isn't an issue. An Realt Dearg on Barrack's Street is lovely too, and has the possibility of live trad music. I'm just recommending small, atmospheric places. If you want big and popular, try Washington street, places like Reardons.

Thanks Guys:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Sin é, Coberg Street
    One of my favourites! A small traditional pub (formerly also a barbers) with live music most nights, lovely staff and a great mixed crowd to be found in there.

The Corner House, Coberg Street
    Another nice traditional pub with nightly life music.

The Abbot Ale House, Devonshire Street (Next to Coberg Street)
    Probably the best range of beers in the city, and will never stock trash like Budweiser! Very small, friendly and cosy.

The Franciscan Well, North Mall
    A brewpub who make their own award winning beers! Shandon Stout, Rebel Red (Red Ale), Blarney Blonde (Lager), Friarweisse (German-style weiss beer) and Shandon Cider.

An Réalt Dearg, Barrack Street
    The oldest Pub in Cork was 'The Gateway'. This made way to An Réalt Dearg. The Gateway opened in 1698 and the Dukes of Wellington and Marlborough were to be found drinking there! Probably the oldest pub in Ireland. Live trad music on Wednesdays and some other nights.

Nancy Spains, Barrack Street (Behind the Off-Licence)
    Far smaller than it once was, and the gig room has made way to a large rooftop smoking area, but still a lovely pub!

Tom Barrys, Barrack Street
    A nice pub with a great beer garden, but with an unfortunate tendency to get overcrowded due to it's popularity.

An Spailpín Fánach, South Main Street
    Traditional pub with bar lunches and trad music in the evening. Very nice with an open fire and a seat in a snug!

The Oval, South Main Street
    Another lovely wee pub with a warm atmosphere and good music. Look up when inside to see the reason for its name.

The Crane Lane, Phoenix Street
    Late licence bar with several rooms (inc large smoking room), live funky music on the stage (nightly?) and a good mix of people. Can get a bit too busy at weekends though, likewise it can be a bit quiet while other non-late licence pubs are open and serving.

The Slate, Tuckey Street
    Late licence bar, good for funky music and they always have a [cheaper but good quality] beer of the month!

Fionnbarras, Douglas Street
    Possibly the best been garden in the city!

The Mutton Lane, Patrick Street
    Another nice, small, busy, welcoming pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I cant see ya having any problem getting somewhere to sit down. The place will be dead on a wedensday night.

Actually o/t a small bit. Is Woodford bourne down at the coal quay still closed??. That was a fine spot I was trying to convince the brother to go halves with me and buy it a few years ago.

It's reopened since last summer I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Actually o/t a small bit. Is Woodford bourne down at the coal quay still closed??. That was a fine spot I was trying to convince the brother to go halves with me and buy it a few years ago.

Reopened as The Woodford and I hear it's really nice - friend of mine was raving about the food a week or so ago and said the vibe was really chilled and friendly - kinda like the old Bodega.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

Vain wrote: »
    Looking for some where to have have a nice few pints on Wednesday. Im 22 so some where with a nice age crowd and no scum please:D

Im not from Cork just up for my girlfriends Bday as she works in Cork but doesn't go out so wouldn't know where to go either.

You could try the Gables on Douglas Street. From 9.30 onwards there is a trad session and it is quiet,uncrowded and relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

evilivor wrote: »
    Reopened as The Woodford and I hear it's really nice - friend of mine was raving about the food a week or so ago and said the vibe was really chilled and friendly - kinda like the old Bodega.

Are they carrying any of the Franciscan Well's beers?

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Are they carrying any of the Franciscan Well's beers?

Dunno - I've not been. Might do this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

And from what I heard all the bottles of beer are 2.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

is the abbott ale house still open?

raven is a nice pub too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Yeah, the Abbot Ale House is still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Cadyboo wrote: »
    And from what I heard all the bottles of beer are 2.50.

Say whutttt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Thats intresting!:)

I must pay a visit and I wonder who had the balls to buy it. Its a fine building.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Thats intresting!:)

I must pay a visit and I wonder who had the balls to buy it. Its a fine building.

Went to The Woodford for a drink after work - closed for a private function - I hate bars that do that - it means they don't value their regular clientelle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement