Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipes for chicken thighs

Options
  • 01-03-2011 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Just wondering if anyone has any good recipes for chicken thighs. Something cheap and cheerful that I can just bung in the oven.

I recently made Nigella Lawson's Spanish chicken, potato, red onion and chorizo recipe and it was delicious and a hit with friends - and super easy.

If anyone knows of anything like this I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I always use chicken thighs (skinned and bone out) in any recipe that calls for chicken breast - thighs are far juicey and tastier :)

I dont have recipes cos i usually just use what's to hand! but a Chicken and leek casserole or pie would be delicious and chicken curry with a good curry paste, chick peas, and squash om nyom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Oh, thank you. I love the idea of the curry with chick peas. That's right up my alley :D I'm a big fan of squash as well!!!!

I only started using thighs recently to save a bit of money and have to agree they are a lot juicier.

You keep the skin on and bone for the nigella recipe (although cut off the excess skin) and I found that really simple as you just bang it in the oven...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Actually I used to make this Nigella recipe, swapping fish for chicken and stock for chicken stock, no fish sauce. Use a good curry paste - thai gold do good ones. I'd sometimes add potato and carrot in to it. You could add spinach and cashews, it's very adaptable!

Tesco do thighs that are skinned and boned btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I too make great use of chicken thighs, so tasty and cheap.

This is my mam's recipe, sticky chicken. Skin and if you like bone the thighs. Place close togther in an oven dish. In a bowl mix 2tbsps honey, 1tbsps mustard, 1tbsp paprika, 1tbsp soy sauce and 1tbsps balsamic vinegar (or bog standard vinegar if stuck). Pour over the thighs and bake in the oven for 25mins at 200 deg C.

So yummy and moreish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

the other day i quickly friend the chicken skin side down in a little sunflower oil so the skin was crispy then popped them an oven tray, sprinkled on sumac and nigella seeds (onion seeds), in the oven for 25mins at about 200C.

if i'm making a chicken stew i tend to poach the chicken thighs first, sometimes with a little chicken stock and then just pull the meat off the bone..

so tasty! we need to change the ways of the general public - thighs for all, down with the breasts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I agree, breasts are over-rated :D

Thanks so much for all your ideas... why didn't I come here sooner?

I eat fairly healthy so don't mind a bit of chicken skin.

Lovin' the thigh ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I got completely addicted to Jamie Oliver's Crispy & Sticky chicken stew last year, had to wean myself off it as I was going to end up the size of a house eating all that chicken skin! TOTALLY going to make it this weekend, though...

Crispy and Sticky Chicken Thighs with squashed new potatoes and tomatoes - serves 4

800g new potatoes, scrubbed
    Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
    12 boned chicken thighs, skin on
    Olive oil
    600g cherry tomatoes
    Bunch of fresh oregano, leaves picked
    red wine vinegar

Balsamic vinegar

1. Put the potatoes into a large saucepan of salted boiling water and boil until cooked. While they're cooking, preheat your oven to 200C/400F/gas 6. Cut each chicken thigh into three strips and place in a bowl. Rub the meat all over with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper, then toss. Heat a large frying pan, big enough to hold all the chicken pieces snugly in one layer, and put the chicken into the pan, skin side down. If you don't have a pan that's big enough, feel free to cook the chicken in two batches. Toss and fry over a high heat for 10 minutes or so, until almost cooked, then remove with a slotted spoon to an ovenproof pan of dish.

2. When teh spuds are done, drain, allow to cool til you can handle them, then squash each one slightly with your thumb.

Bash up most of the oregano leaves with a pinch of salt in a pestle and mortar. Add a good splash of red wine vinegar, about half as much balsamic vinegar and some pepper and give everything another bash. Add to the chicken with the potatoes, the tomatoes and the rest of the oregano leaves. Toss everything together carefully. Spread out in a single layer in an appropriately sized roasting tray, and bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven until golden.

Oh Lord, I'm starving now!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Coconut, lemon and pepper curry and souther fried chicken are my favourite ways to eat thigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Theo Randall's Chicken on focaccia with rocket. Stunning dish, great if you can't wait for the warm weather and need a summer dish. Just substitute thighs for the butchered whole chook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Molebert

I use this recipe for chicken too. I love it. It's sweet and tangy. I use less brown sugar than the recipe says though. It works beautifully in a slow cooker too from frozen chicken thighs. I add potatoes and any other veggie I feel like in the bottom of the pan. Makes itself :3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Marmalade Chicken: I've made this and it is delish!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/marmaladechicken_71450

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Franks Red Hot Sauce on them.. I love them done with it

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

This is a lovely recipe, it's by Kevin Dundon for Supervalu.

Lemon, Soy and Honey Roasted Chicken with Roasted Potatoes

Ingredients

SuperValu Quality Irish Chicken Thighs 860g/1lb 14oz
    SuperValu Sliced Carrots 500g
    Grated zest & juice of one SuperValu Lemon
    Pinch of SuperValu Cooks Ingredients Paprika

From your Store Cupboard
    1oz/25g Butter
    1 tbsp of SuperValu Honey
    2 tbsp Cooks Ingredients Soy Sauce
    Seasoning – SuperValu Cooks Ingredients Salt & pepper
    3 ½ floz/100ml boiling water
    2-3 sprigs of Fresh SuperValu Thyme (optional)
    Roasted Potatoes
    4 large SuperValu potatoes

From your Store Cupboard
    2 cloves SuperValu garlic-diced
    1 tbsp SuperValu Oil

Preparation
    • Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
    • Heat a large frying pan with a little butter. Season the chicken thighs with a little salt and paprika pepper (which will give the chicken an added kick) and quickly brown them on both sides and then transfer to a large casserole dish.
    • Return to the heat, pour in the honey, soy sauce, lemon zest & juice together with the boiling water and the sprigs of thyme, if using, and allow the mixture to come to the boil.
    • Pour this mixture over the browned chicken thighs, cover the casserole dish with tin foil and place in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes remove the casserole dish, take off the tin foil and return the dish to the oven for a remaining 20-25 minutes to crisp up the chicken.
    Roasted Potatoes
    • Prepare a baking tray by lining with a little parchment.
    • Peel the potatoes and dice into small cubes. Dry them well with some kitchen paper.
    • Place the potatoes into a large mixing bowl, with the diced garlic and the oil. Season well with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
    • Place the potatoes on the baking tray and roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
    • Serve the roasted potatoes with the glazed chicken and steamed sliced carrots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I make a stew type thingy with chorizo - fry the chorizo and then brown the thighs. When all browned throw in onions and garlic. Then tin of tomatoes & tomato puree. Add what flavours you like - I usually put in more smoked paprika.
    Pop in oven, cook for about an hour at 160C.
    Serve with rosemary roasted baby potatoes, garlicy sauce (made from yoghut, parsley, garlic & mayo) and rocket.
    Nyomz!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Caros wrote: »
    This is a lovely recipe, it's by Kevin Dundon for Supervalu.

Lemon, Soy and Honey Roasted Chicken with Roasted Potatoes

Ingredients

SuperValu Quality Irish Chicken Thighs 860g/1lb 14oz
    SuperValu Sliced Carrots 500g
    Grated zest & juice of one SuperValu Lemon
    Pinch of SuperValu Cooks Ingredients Paprika

From your Store Cupboard
    1oz/25g Butter
    1 tbsp of SuperValu Honey
    2 tbsp Cooks Ingredients Soy Sauce
    Seasoning – SuperValu Cooks Ingredients Salt & pepper
    3 ½ floz/100ml boiling water
    2-3 sprigs of Fresh SuperValu Thyme (optional)
    Roasted Potatoes
    4 large SuperValu potatoes

From your Store Cupboard
    2 cloves SuperValu garlic-diced
    1 tbsp SuperValu Oil

Preparation
    • Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
    • Heat a large frying pan with a little butter. Season the chicken thighs with a little salt and paprika pepper (which will give the chicken an added kick) and quickly brown them on both sides and then transfer to a large casserole dish.
    • Return to the heat, pour in the honey, soy sauce, lemon zest & juice together with the boiling water and the sprigs of thyme, if using, and allow the mixture to come to the boil.
    • Pour this mixture over the browned chicken thighs, cover the casserole dish with tin foil and place in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes remove the casserole dish, take off the tin foil and return the dish to the oven for a remaining 20-25 minutes to crisp up the chicken.
    Roasted Potatoes
    • Prepare a baking tray by lining with a little parchment.
    • Peel the potatoes and dice into small cubes. Dry them well with some kitchen paper.
    • Place the potatoes into a large mixing bowl, with the diced garlic and the oil. Season well with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
    • Place the potatoes on the baking tray and roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
    • Serve the roasted potatoes with the glazed chicken and steamed sliced carrots.

Why aren't you using SuperValu butter as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

nompere wrote: »
    Why aren't you using SuperValu butter as well?

It's the Supervalu recipe from Supervalu. Do you expect them to ask you to buy Dunnes items?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Molebert wrote: »
    I use this recipe for chicken too. I love it. It's sweet and tangy. I use less brown sugar than the recipe says though. It works beautifully in a slow cooker too from frozen chicken thighs. I add potatoes and any other veggie I feel like in the bottom of the pan. Makes itself :3
    would like to try this . how long do you leave it in the slow cooker for please ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056126411&highlight=rabbit

Just a southern states recipe with a slight Irish twist, good for rabbit and chicken.

I'd also use chicken thighs in the dublin bay paella I posted here before, using the chicken as a substitute for rabbit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Molebert

would like to try this . how long do you leave it in the slow cooker for please ?

Sorry for the late reply. I cooked it on high for about 2 1/2-3 1/2 hours. With similar dishes it also works well on low for about 6-8 hours. This is from frozen chicken and my huge cookworks slow cooker. I'm afraid I don't have any more exact times than that : /

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Marinade thighs in honey, sweet chili sauce and soy sauce and bake in the oven until skin in Crispy, yummy! I usually serve it with brown rice cooked in stock, peppers and onions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

This is a lovely Nigel Slater recipe for Chicken Thighs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/stickychickenthighsw_92523

Sticky chicken thighs with lemon and honey

Ingredients

1 tbsp black peppercorns
    2 lemons, juice only
    good squeeze or two of runny honey
    grainy mustard
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    6 large chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
    sea salt, to taste
    2-3 preserved lemons
    handful green olives, pits removed, sliced
    small handful fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves only

Preparation method

1. Preheat the oven at 200C/400F/Gas 6.
    2. Place the peppercorns into a pestle and mortar and grind until roughly crushed. Add these to a large bowl together with the lemon juice, honey, mustard and garlic and mix well.
    3. Place the chicken thighs into a large roasting tin and pour the lemon and honey mixture over the chicken, leaving it to marinate for as long as possible. Sprinkle with sea salt, to taste, then cook in the hot oven for 45 minutes, turning halfway through cooking so that the thighs become lovely and sticky.
    4. Meanwhile, cut the preserved lemons open and remove the soft flesh to leave you with just the skin (discard the flesh). Cut the skin into strips and toss together with the olives and parsley.

When the chicken is ready, serve sprinkled with the olive, parsley and preserved lemon mixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭katharinewheel

Tandoori Chicken is a great thing to make with chicken thighs as its cheap, easy to make and really quite healthy

You mix this: http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/ekmps/shops/asiancookshop/images/rajah-tandoori-masala-powder-1929-p.jpg with lemon juice and yoghert and add it to skinned chicken thighs and leave to marinade for between 2 and 48 hours. Obviously the longer you leave it the better the flavour. Roast for 1hr and 15mins and you're set. Serve with basmati rice or pitta bread with riata and a cucumber salad and you're set.

The tandoori powder should be available in most asain shops, i think even tesco stock it sometimes but i can't vouch for the quailty of it. It's usually not more than €1.50 for the small bag and you can get the huge bag for about €3.50.

You can add extra chilli powder to taste if you prefer it hotter as the tandoori spice powder isn't really all to hot. I add a touch of red food dye to make it "look hotter" too. I think, uhm, enhances the dish! :)

Advertisement