Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Sligo, rent is dead money - True or false?

Options
  • 01-03-2011 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have just read an interesting article (see link below) which has suggested to me that renting a property is much more sensible than buying one, even when you consider the current low selling prices.

http://www.ronanlyons.com/2010/03/16/a-nation-of-renters-once-again-revisiting-rent-or-buy/

I would be interested to hear the thoughts of others here on this article.

And how it relates to Sligo, if at all.

P.S. - I am currently renting a house for €650 per month and am looking for something cheaper. Please send me a PM with any offers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Dont be fooled by the term "Rent is dead money"....it depends on the time and circumstances. It's not a true/false statement.

I've known people who convinced themselves and/or coerced by Agents to buy property using that old chestnut, and are now regetting it.

However, there does come a time when it is cheaper to buy than to rent, (if you can get yourself a 10% deposit and a stash of cash to cover stamp duty and legal fees then its worth looking to).

Its a buyers market, if you have cash/mortgage arranged, you have the upper hand in any deal...

IMO, if you are in a stable job, have a few quid in the bank and are renting, its a good time to think about buying. But I also think prices will continue to drop.

My only advice would be this, buy a property/apartment where you will be happy to live in for a good few years, dont buy just to make a profit or to bow to the pressure that you must get on the property ladder.

Rent money is NOT dead money..I bet people in negative equity who bought property 4 years ago are wishin that they were now still renting...

good luck with things...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cloonton

Dont be fooled by the term "Rent is dead money"....it depends on the time and circumstances. It's not a true/false statement.

I've known people who convinced themselves and/or coerced by Agents to buy property using that old chestnut, and are now regetting it.

However, there does come a time when it is cheaper to buy than to rent, (if you can get yourself a 10% deposit and a stash of cash to cover stamp duty and legal fees then its worth looking to).

Its a buyers market, if you have cash/mortgage arranged, you have the upper hand in any deal...

IMO, if you are in a stable job, have a few quid in the bank and are renting, its a good time to think about buying. But I also think prices will continue to drop.

My only advice would be this, buy a property/apartment where you will be happy to live in for a good few years, dont buy just to make a profit or to bow to the pressure that you must get on the property ladder.

Rent money is NOT dead money..I bet people in negative equity who bought property 4 years ago are wishin that they were now still renting...

good luck with things...
    +1!
    I also think prices will continue to drop, but it has to be said that there is a limited amount of real value starting to come on to the market now - where your mortgage repayment is significantly lower then the rent being demanded for equivalent homes (even factoring in *some* interest rate rises).
    I have to add tho, that I am still lover of owning my own bit of the old sod, even after being burned by the bubble, so perhaps you should consider my view with a pinch of salt;)

Advertisement