Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat with constant dilated eyes.

• 01-03-2011 7:21pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I just moved into a house and there is a cat here, nobody really owns it but my housemates feed it, although it's quite skinny, and it's inside a lot etc. It was a kitten when they moved in a few years ago and they found it in a room. It's eyes seem to be constantly dilated and I was wondering is this a sign of something wrong with it? I ahve no problem taking responsibility and bringing it in to be checked up if needs be, it seems to act normally but the eyes are strange.

mudbut.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Was thinking that, as it does look like a problem, was just wondering if it's always a problem or can it be normal! Will have a look at her eyes again later on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Was thinking that, as it does look like a problem, was just wondering if it's always a problem or can it be normal! Will have a look at her eyes again later on

Well she looks well minded but I wonder if shes ever been to the vet.
    Super Tar to the rescue!!!! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I really doubt she has ever been to the vet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Stop don't say it. Don't say it. I didn't. Whoooo

Well done on looking after the cat. Bring her to the vet if your worried. If you bring her to the VET - do all the vaccinations, worming & de-fleaing etc. Whatever the normal things are for a cat

• Advertisement

This kitty gonna be costing me lotta money :mad: :pac:
    It was jsut that she seems fine but the net says it is bad, so it's confusing!

What were you trying to not say? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Without frightening the wits out of her, shine a torch in her eyes, or put her on the kitchen windowledge in the light at lunchtime and look into her face. Her pupils should be light reactive. If they're not, she needs to see a vet.

Otherwise, the first picture you took is quite low light so I'd expect dilated pupils in that light.

Second thing, cat's pupils dilate when they're stressed or excited. If she's a timid wee thing you guys took in, she may not be quite so sure of herself. She's a little hunched in your top pic, as though a bit scared of the camera, but that's not unusual either. If she's a bit stressed out mostly, she may have larger pupils than normal. I wrote a long post on here recently on cat body language:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70565681&postcount=7

That was in response to someone who's cat was peeing in the house, but the body language still applies. Watch her for a day or two and see if you can read the signals she's giving.

Dilated pupils can also be a sign of a thyroid problem in a cat, and yes if she's never been to a vet it's a good idea to book her in for a check up and get her teeth checked and so on and investigate the reason behind the skinny kitty. If you guys haven't committed 100% to this being your house cat yet, then make that mindshift - if she's yours, she's yours - to feed, worm, vaccinate, brush, love, cuddle and take to the vet. Lots of people have cats they feed occasionally or irregularly because they're still thinking 'oh how adorable, but she's not really my cat is she' - not realising that as far as the cat's concerned, you're her owner. This is when problems arise with unwanted litters of kittens and so on - because if you don't really own her, you don't really need to pay a vet to neuter her, and now DEAR GOD she's giving birth on my COUCH...

(true story)

But anyway, yes, if her pupils are still light reactive maybe not a time for flat panic, watch her body language for a day or two so you get a read on her, and then make the mindshift and take ownership of her (or him? hard to tell with some cats) and look at worming / vaccinating / neutering at the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

What were you trying to not say? :D

Animals lovers do not read the following, I am joking -
    Constant dilated eyes = it is a stoner cat ;);). Watch & see if she is chewing on any plants around the house

Advertisement