Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spam Advice

Options
  • 01-03-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but Im sure the mods will put me straight if its not.

I've recently received some spam from an Irish Company on an email address I don' t use to sign up to websites. I replied and asked the guy how he got my email address, only took me asking twice in fairness.

"We ask people to opt-in to taking part in research projects based on regular online surveys we run. We often run competitions for people to recommend a friend. We are a full market research agency and apologies if you feel you should not be part of this invitation list which is only used for market research surveys and nothing else. Let me know and I will get you unsubscribed….."

Recommend a friend sounds a bit bogey to me... Any thoughts on this kind of behavior, or am I being a pedantic Pat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

So you have no dealings with them and they added you to a mailing list without your permission?

Just trying to make sure it's 100% clear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Thats the situation exactly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

rossc007 wrote: »
    Thats the situation exactly :)
    Signup for a reporting account at spamcop.net
    It might be too late to report this one, but you can use it for all the other spams that you probably get ..

If they're sending email to your business email address then they have to respect your wish not to receive more email, but you can't do a huge amount about the email you got already. You could, however, report them to their ISP / hosting provider (the mail could have gone through either or through a 3rd party)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pingpipe

I wouldn't bother replying to them. Sure, they might unsubscribe you from their list, but who knows how many other spammers they have sold your email address to? Here's a good way to deal with unsolicited commercial email: check the headers of the email to see the network that it was sent on, and then forward a copy of the email (complete with headers) to the network provider's abuse department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Is the company that contacted you what you might consider a reputable company?

I ask this because quite clearly they do not have a proper and correct policy in place. This may down to a lack of knowledge of the required standards.

I wouldn't refer to them Spamcop but tell them that they are wrong and refer them to the Data Commissioner. I say this because if they are a genuine business making a stupid mistake then Spamcop can pay havoc with their business.

If they seem like a bunch of shysters then Spamcop would be appropriate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Thanks for the replies.

They seem like a reputable setup, decent website with good contact details, plus the guy responded to me on the mail address that the email was sent from. Im just sick of spam :(

Advertisement