Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivy, Does it Rot away Wooden Gates?

Options
  • 01-03-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Hi there i Have a really boring wooden fence that surrounds my back garden. Paint it every year but as the stain washes off it looks awful. I also get a lot of green mould growing on it. I was thinking to put down Ivy and have a nice leafey fence. My gran once told me Ivy rotted fences. The idea being the water sits on the leaves and orifices trapped against the fence. And the roots slowly damage the timber. Is this an old wives tale or am i asking for trouble covering my timber fences with Ivy. Also would anyone have an idea for a nice Ivy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think the main problem with ivy on a fence is that when it gets big there is a lot of weight and a lot of wind resistence which can bring the fence down. It does also attach very strongly to any surface and probably would not be good for the timber.

Advertisement