Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homework

Options
  • 01-03-2011 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Im sure this has been done before but i cant find it :confused:

Anyone with young teenagers in secondary school? How long do they spend on homework?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

When I was in secondary school before, homework (each day) used to take me about 5 hours, sometimes more.

Currently, it takes me about 2-3 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 max power 18

homework is the bane of my life. My son in first year spends no more than 15 minutes!Dont know how he manages to get away with it in school.(Have spoken to his teachers on various occasions)
    Last resort have bought a complete new set of books and if he dosent get any homework or indeed forgets his books he can still do an hours work on something that i end up choosing for him to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just to play devils advocate here, When I was in secondary school, bar the 2 years I did evening study (which was an excuse for me and my best mate to act the knob and try and make each other laugh) I'd say I spent a max of half an hour on homework, usually half that. With Free periods in school and in particular, if he's an intelligent kid, It probably won't take him that long to do the home work.

If he's doing good in school and the teachers aren't complaining, I wouldn't push him much harder.

On the other hand, if he's having trouble and the teachers ARE complaining, please completely ignore me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭letsbehonest

I am in 6th year now and through my 6 years of school I never had too much homework. I actually found first year the worst. I find that most teachers give students a 10 minute head start in class to start there work and almost every day they will be somebody out or they will be doss classes such as Religion or Sphe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I am in 6th year now and through my 6 years of school I never had too much homework. I actually found first year the worst. I find that most teachers give students a 10 minute head start in class to start there work and almost every day they will be somebody out or they will be doss classes such as Religion or Sphe.

Really?? wow my son is spending 3 to 3 and a half hour per night, which I think is way to much :confused:
    Hes getting on very well in school and teacher have never complained about him..
    i thought he was not really doing that much work and daydreaming so i sat with him for the full tim a few times and its just a mad amount IMO
    I spoke to the school and they said yes they are to spend 2 to 3 hours.

I know in my day it was an hour max :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

Justask wrote: »
    Im sure this has been done before but i cant find it :confused:

Anyone with young teenagers in secondary school? How long do they spend on homework?

I have a second year in school..spends about 1 to 1 and and half hours per night on homework. Also a 6th year..about 3hrs per night. God love them. Why? how much does your teen spend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭letsbehonest

Justask wrote: »
    Really?? wow my son is spending 3 to 3 and a half hour per night, which I think is way to much :confused:
    Hes getting on very well in school and teacher have never complained about him..
    i thought he was not really doing that much work and daydreaming so i sat with him for the full tim a few times and its just a mad amount IMO
    I spoke to the school and they said yes they are to spend 2 to 3 hours.

I know in my day it was an hour max :confused:
    All schools are different. Our school gets excellent leaving cert results. The teacher never really give a lot of homework. The younger teachers or the older teachers the all are happy with the results at the end of the day so they are happy with how things are going. I would say the longest I ever spent on homework was about four hours in first year because my class got a class detention. Most nights I spend about 30-45 minutes or i'll have none at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

cucbuc wrote: »
    I have a second year in school..spends about 1 to 1 and and half hours per night on homework. Also a 6th year..about 3hrs per night. God love them. Why? how much does your teen spend?

Yea I dont think its fair on them at all :(
    Mind you im he one complaining hes not lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

This is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question.

It is dependent on the individual student, the teacher, school, class level, home, expectations, etc.

But on average through the average secondary school year for the average student 2-3 hours would be needed to achieve an average leaving cert result.

But without knowing the student in question it is hard to say, he/she could be a genius savant that does not need to study or as thick as a plank where 8 hours of study would not make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've got one lad in JC and another in 1st year.

The lad in first year can spend an hour, sometimes more doing his homework and sometimes a lot less depending on how many free classes he has.

The lad doing his JC can be lazy and my husband and I were ending up having rows with him thinking he should be doing 2.5 - 3 hours per night but that changed after the study night presentation for parents of JC's.

The school said it's how they study rather than the length of time spent studying that's important ie. drawing up a study plan and active listening in class then 10 - 20 mins revision that night on the subject, recapping the next night and again at the end of the week and 10 mins pre-reading what's coming up next day rather than sitting there for an hour having switched off after 20 mins.

Since we backed off he's actually doing more and is doing his mocks at the moment and is doing higher level.

The school has 2 hours supervised study after school.

• Advertisement
Advertisement