Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chiting Onion Sets ??

Options
  • 01-03-2011 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Has anyone experimented with chiting onion sets. I was doing a bit of research today and found that some people have tried it with success.

I said I would give it a go so filled up a large flat cardboard box with potting compost and put about 100 onion sets in, kept in my glass house. I will plant then out in two weeks time.

Anyone experimentet with this before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

If you put them in compost wouldn't that be planting them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭TheDietShop.ie

If you put them in compost wouldn't that be planting them?

Yes it would, but planting them temporarily indoors to get them to grow roots prior to planting outside. The idea is to give them a head start and also see which ones are duds.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Never treid it myself but would be interested in your results:)

I will keep you updated on their progress, I'm hoiping to plant them out mid-march weather permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Have mine in two weeks ago all sprouting now even the ones the bloomin sparrows pulled out looking for nest materials :(

Keep an eye on them as they will prob dry out the bulb pretty quick before they can get roots into the compost.

• Advertisement

Checked on the sets this morning and lifted a few to see if they had started to root and all had. I think I set them 2 days ago.

Advertisement