Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Parships

Options
  • 01-03-2011 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

I set some parsnips in my glasshouse on the 2nd of Feb and they have started sprouting over the last few days, fairly slow germination 10-28 days.

Are they a hard veg to grow, my first time doing so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

They can be tricky to germinate and slow.

I've never had problems though, I sow all mine in kitchen roll tubes and then transplant them into their beds before the tip of the root comes out.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭TheDietShop.ie

Must contact my local Janitor :D. Thats a good idea, Do you leave the roll in place when planting out.

Defo one of my favourite veg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Are you heating that thing at night or what? Easy to grow anyway, doesn't matter if the ground is really fertile unlike carrots, just stick them down.

It is not heated at night but I cover the seedlings with a polyethlene sheet 19 microns thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Always just plant the parnsips directly into the ground on paddys day and leave them there till end of oct so the frost gets at them!!

I did transplant once and was a disaster as they all went curly at the root!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Must contact my local Janitor :D. Thats a good idea, Do you leave the roll in place when planting out.

Defo one of my favourite veg!

Yep,plant the roll into predug hole,a bit deeper than the core with compost in the bottom,works great for me. Heres one from last year.80% were this size:D

vegpics004.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Give the soils a good dig as well as they dont like hitting clumps of hard soil or stones & tend to go off in all directions :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Use Fresh Parsnip seed as it has a 1 year shelf life.
    Many seeds will germinate after keeping them for years but Parsnip seeds don't.

Thanks for the replies.

That is an impressive parsnip. The seeds I planted were new and a good brand, most of them have germinated by now.

I don't go thru much toilet paper so will have to givet he toilet roll idea a miss. However what if I made similiar rolls out of newspaper instead?

At present they areplanted in trays with individual cells.

• Advertisement
Advertisement