Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Printer?

Options
  • 01-03-2011 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

I know this seems like a stupid question, but please bear with me! I'm looking for a new printer that can do the following:

- it has to be able to print A3 as well as the usual A4.

-I'd also prefer a laser printer over an inkjet - I've heard that laser are more economical to run in the long term. I presume this would mean B&W only, but this is no big deal.

- it has to have networking, either wired or WiFi, doesn't matter

-also, (optionally!) duplex (two-sided) printing would be handy.

I've had a poke round the usual places (Amazon, a few bricks and mortar shops), and Amazon doesn't seems to provide enough info on their printers to know whether it meets my requirements (I also don't know whether Amazon would even ship a printer to Ireland). Budget is around €200, definitely no more than €250. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 InsightTech

I think your budget of €250 is a little low for an A3 laser solution, especially with duplex printing.

If you upped it a little more you could be looking at a business class inkjet printer with the features you require.

Something like the HP Officejet Pro K8600dn for example.

That should be pretty economical compared to a laser printer, especially using the high capacity cartidges.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We've has a lot of problems with laser printers at work. We did have a big colour one but it cost a fortune to run and broke down a lot, printing one or two pages on a laser won't be cost effective. Unless you know you'll have a lot of printing to do I don't think they're worth it, colour ones that is. They are massive too, prepare to lose a corner of a room to one. For black and white they're good.

If your looking for a reliable printer I've found Brother to be very good.

Ebuyer.com would have a good selection of business end printers. Many of the business end ones have all the features your looking for but like InsightTech said your budget is tight and it's something that's worth spending money one because poor printers can be a huge hassle and cost in an office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭colm21

I would normally go for either Canon or HP both are good brands in my opinion. I am using a Canon printer now, so far I am having no major problems with it whatsoever. A lot of my friends from college have HPs and they seem to be pleased with them. Personally I would search on Currys or PC-World websites they are always doing some sort of deals on printers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It depends on volume, if your not going to be printing everyday a HP or Cannon might be fine but put any serious amount of paper through them and they'll crumble and your better off with something more robust like a brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭colm21

I was thinking off switching my current printer to a Brother I have heard people saying Brother are a good brand, are they any good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 vinniew09

kodak printers bought one for college its a gem.....black ink 9.99 colour ink 15 quid fantastic quality allaround and at a reasonable price,i print out notes for college on a daily basis and iv only replaced black ink since augest 3 times.not arsed about colour but still 15 quid is very reasonable.compared to lexmark black ink was 36.99 and colour was 45 bean in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056197980
    This is a great printer, and it's 20 pounds less than what I paid at the time.
    Cheap ink, fast, wireless, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Cheers everyone for the (as aways!) first rate advice.

The only 2 of my requirements that are absolutely essential are the A3 printing and the networknig. Everything else is a bonus if I could get it at the right price. :)

Personally I've not had the greastest of experiences of Epson printers in the past, so I'd be a little wary unless one gets particularly glowing reviews from boardsies.

Harvey Norman seem to do very reasonable prices for printers, but in the tech specs of every printer, it just says that they can print A4 and A5 only, and I think that it's a mistake and some of them can print A3.

As for the laser, I wouldn't be looking for a colour laser printer, B&W would do fine! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

New Brother A3 multifunction printer gets a good review here:
    PC Pro review.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

• Advertisement
Advertisement