Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotment advertisment @ Lusk

Options
  • 01-03-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where the allotments are that are being advertised on the first roundabout on the lusk bypass?

is there any in rush?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I think they're in Baldongan. They were advertised on DAFT recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Theres a write up about them allotments in this weeks Fingal Independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Eoineo wrote: »
    I think they're in Baldongan. They were advertised on DAFT recently?

Yeap correct, 5000 euros! Surprised the planning permission was given for such a scenic location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Yeap correct, 5000 euros! Surprised the planning permission was given for such a scenic location.

If you take a look at the photographs on DAFT you will see maybe the buildings were in place already. I think it was more of a change of use than "building" them. That could explain why they were granted.

Personally I would consider them overpriced but it's all relative and if there's someone willing to pay that amount for an allotment then fair play to them. On the positive side it's nice to see landowners recognising that there are options when it comes to supplementing their income.

There is a high demand for allotment space in North County Dublin, all over Dublin actually. It's just a pity that there aren't more spaces closer to major urban centres. At the moment your options if you don't drive are limited. It's not just a question of transport. Working on an allotment encourages an old sense of community and social responsibility for your neighbours and for the land. We could do with more of that. It's the same theory as joining a gym - the closer it is to your home the more likely you are to use it on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Eoineo wrote: »
    If you take a look at the photographs on DAFT you will see maybe the buildings were in place already. I think it was more of a change of use than "building" them. That could explain why they were granted.

Personally I would consider them overpriced but it's all relative and if there's someone willing to pay that amount for an allotment then fair play to them. On the positive side it's nice to see landowners recognising that there are options when it comes to supplementing their income.

There is a high demand for allotment space in North County Dublin, all over Dublin actually. It's just a pity that there aren't more spaces closer to major urban centres. At the moment your options if you don't drive are limited. It's not just a question of transport. Working on an allotment encourages an old sense of community and social responsibility for your neighbours and for the land. We could do with more of that. It's the same theory as joining a gym - the closer it is to your home the more likely you are to use it on a regular basis.

St Josephs Secondary School in Rush would be an ideal location for allotments when the school outgrows its current location but I have a feeling that the land will be solded off for "development". Its near a good proportion of the population of Rush. The buildings could be reduced to provide more allotment space, the existing water reservoir used and you would have class rooms for horticulture, organic, machine maintenance, carpentary, environmental classes plus services such as water, toilets etc already in place and the underused south shore beach carpark could be used as overflow carpark for those not afraid to walk a little to their allotment. Also location near the sea means that the growing season will be longer than somewhere more inland in the town and the potential for an allotment vegetable shop to sell excess crops. Just a blue sky idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement