Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DealExtreme

• 01-03-2011 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Does anyone who dealt with DealExtreme know if purchases are subject to custom charges? I'm looking to source some cheap Xbox 360 Hard Drives

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Tefral

Ive never be stopped but yes anything over €22 is subject to customs inspections because they are shipped from Hong Kong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I was stopped and asked to provide proof of an item's actual cost to me (a multimeter, $10) or else face a customs charge because they'd value it at Irish prices (€30).

So you can get caught out, but that was a one time only thing.

If ordering several items, order separately - free delivery after all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Same happened to me a couple of years back off a similar site, I ordered a bunch of R4 cards and
    had to pay to get them on top of the cost from the supplier. I think I'll just stick with buying single items as you suggested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I was never hit by customs when dealing with DX, but recently got notice for my reballing kit from ebay - €25 extra:(

I just got my Maximus 360 Lizard and the sender declared it's value at €8.50 I think the lower the declared value is the less likely you'll be hit with additional charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yes, the declared value is what matters unless customs open it (randomly) and check the valuation.

Also, post offices will only cover up to the declared value - so had that been lost that is what the sender would have been refunded. This is why a lot of them are hesitant to throw lower prices on the declaration.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Given the amount of DX/FocalPrice purchases I make I'm not surprised I've had a few parcels held by customs, I get a letter from customs looking for proof of cost and then email my PayPal receipt and get the package a few days later.
    Key is to ensure you separate your order to keep below €22.
    DX never combine separate orders, FocalPrice do.

If you order above €22 then you have to accept the risk, simple as that really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

Thats a bit rich, we are allowed up to $1000 AUD before duty is calculated and gst payable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hangover wrote: »
    Thats a bit rich, we are allowed up to $1000 AUD before duty is calculated and gst payable.

So is our government ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

EnterNow wrote: »
    So is our government ;)

I guess they have to get revenue from somewhere, things are pretty tough over there i see.

• Advertisement

Hangover wrote: »
    I guess they have to get revenue from somewhere, things are pretty tough over there i see.

Somewhere, here, there & everywhere they seem to get revenue from :D Ah well, once I've a soldering iron, some solder, & something to mod I'll be happy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

EnterNow wrote: »
    Somewhere, here, there & everywhere they seem to get revenue from :D Ah well, once I've a soldering iron, some solder, & something to mod I'll be happy :P

You haven't heard about the retro console/ solder levy then?

dooferoaks wrote: »
    You haven't heard about the retro console/ solder levy then?

Retro? EN Jtags with the best of them too ;):p

But no I hadn't heard of that, I was focusing more on the new oxygen levy, where each breath incures a revenue tax :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tolerz

i bought a fake iphone from dx , 60 usd ,, it doest say iphone or any copyright stuff on it ,, hong kong post said it was shipped on the 7th todays the 17 ,, still no sign of it ,, would customs destroy it or any thing ,, i dnt mind paying tax as long as its reasonable.

Tolerz wrote: »
    i bought a fake iphone from dx , 60 usd ,, it doest say iphone or any copyright stuff on it ,, hong kong post said it was shipped on the 7th todays the 17 ,, still no sign of it ,, would customs destroy it or any thing ,, i dnt mind paying tax as long as its reasonable.

Did you go with regular shipping?

justryan wrote: »
    Did you go with regular shipping?
    yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

Sometimes it takes 30 days for standard post .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd order seperatly as was sugested as i think they have gone a lot worse for catching people recently as i got caught for a laptop battery a few days ago i had to email them the paypal receipt i got and got charged €12.54 not alot but still could have been avoided. Anything over €22 and u are chrged 21% VAT and also €6 to the post office as well. I always order stuff from china and never got caught. I got caught from America b4 so never bought from there again. I'd also watch for counterfeit items as i had stuff tasking b4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No they would send you a letter telling u that a expert is going to check the item or items as thats what happened me.

Also when u get it u are better off chucking it in the bin when u get it as i had 1 and it was shít. Hardware was good also touch screen was good but they never debugged the software too good as the fone had a mind of its own.

No they would send you a letter telling u that a expert is going to check the item or items as thats what happened me.

Also when u get it u are better off chucking it in the bin when u get it as i had 1 and it was shít. Hardware was good also touch screen was good but they never debugged the software too good as the fone had a mind of its own.

thanks ,,, plus great confidence boost there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

He's right though, they're ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

you might wait another week or two. be patient..

docentore wrote: »
    you might wait another week or two. be patient..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Lads, what has any of this got to do with console modding? Can we get back on topic...if its phones/delivery times/or anything other than the usual then it doesn't belong here, cheers.

Advertisement