Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zero in your rife scope in Two Shots

Options
  • 01-03-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

dont know if this has been posted here before or how well it works but it might come in very handy some time if it gives bull easy or do any of you do it this way and how do it work for you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiOpQY2ORo4&feature=relmfu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I thought that's how everyone did it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

clivej wrote: »

i would only imagine this would work if the rifle was extremely secure to a bench or vice of some sort as not to move because if the first shot is slightly off it would not zero right and the further the shooter is from the target i would imagine the harder it would be unless there was a high powered scope being used maybe i am way off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Its not actually zeroing the rifle as much as it is re-checking your existing zero. As clivej said though i assumed everyone done this when cheking their zero.

Plus if it were me brfore the start of the season i would not do it with just two shots. I would make sure the barrel is warm and fouled then use two shots without adjusting to make sure its not the cold barrel or clean barrel causing the shot to drop, go right, left, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

When the brother got "our":Dfirst stalking rifle ,an asshole in Gorey charged him for a box and a half of .308s to zero her in,worst days work he ever done;););)

Any rifle can be zeroed with 3 shots max.

Simply put on the mounts, rings and scope. Ensure all are levelled and squared. Have the bolt out and looking through the barrel you get the target central in the bore of the rifle. Once there clamp it and then look at the target through the scope. Adjust the scope so that the crosshairs match up to the point of aim of the barrel. Check the two are relatively close and that the rifle has not moved in the rest/clamp.

Replace bolt an fire a shot. Here is where the 1/2" or 1" grid targets come into their own. Measure the distance from the point of aim to the actually point of impact. Adjust your scope as necessary. Fire another shot with the rifle still clamped. You should now be in or very close to the "bull". Make any last/final adjustments of the scope and fire one last shot. You should now be in the bull.

Unclamp the rifle and fire about 2-5 shots to make sure the results are consistant. Give all the screws of the scope, rings, etc a quick check to make sure they are tight, and you're good to go.

I have used this method many, many times and it has yet to let me down. No need for laser pointers, shot savers, and any other expensive equipment. Takes a few minutes longer without the fancy gadgets, but works.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Ezridax wrote: »
    Any rifle can be zeroed with 3 shots max.

Simply put on the mounts, rings and scope. Ensure all are levelled and squared. Have the bolt out and looking through the barrel you get the target central in the bore of the rifle. Once there clamp it and then look at the target through the scope. Adjust the scope so that the crosshairs match up to the point of aim of the barrel. Check the two are relatively close and that the rifle has not moved in the rest/clamp.

Replace bolt an fire a shot. Here is where the 1/2" or 1" grid targets come into their own. Measure the distance from the point of aim to the actually point of impact. Adjust your scope as necessary. Fire another shot with the rifle still clamped. You should now be in or very close to the "bull". Make any last/final adjustments of the scope and fire one last shot. You should now be in the bull.

Unclamp the rifle and fire about 2-5 shots to make sure the results are consistant. Give all the screws of the scope, rings, etc a quick check to make sure they are tight, and you're good to go.

I have used this method many, many times and it has yet to let me down. No need for laser pointers, shot savers, and any other expensive equipment. Takes a few minutes longer without the fancy gadgets, but works.

Good advice erzi...I use the same technique except I don't use a vice I just use a bi-pod and back bag.

What kind of vice could you use to clamp the rifle whilst still being able to shoot it comfortably???

I actually do not place the rifle into a rifle clamp, such as the ones used when cleaning or working on the rifle. When i say clamp i mean to have the gun rested on a front rest, even a bipod, and the back well secured in a sand bag, etc.

I have a front "sand bag" that goes on my Caldwell rest and it is purposely made so the rifle cannot twist or move and is very tight against the stock. It is half inch thick soft rubber, with a soft velvet type cloth stitched around it so as not to mark my stock.

There is nothing worse than setting everything up and just as you move in to look through the scope the rifle moves, cants, etc. Its a simple technique, but honestly the best. Holds very true to the K.I.S.S. method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

When the brother got "our":Dfirst stalking rifle ,an asshole in Gorey charged him for a box and a half of .308s to zero her in,worst days work he ever done;););)

was it zeroed when he had finished??

GixxerThou wrote: »
    was it zeroed when he had finished??

For a little while,bases and rings weren't properly together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

That guy had THE Gaul to charge for box and a half of ammo because he did not cop that the POI was shifting due to mechanical error?:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

clivej wrote: »

yep for the last 37yrs;)

Jaysus I dont believe ya! Nobody could be as ignorant as that....:D

Jaysus I dont believe ya! Nobody could be as ignorant as that....:D

Where did you serve your time G ?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Is it just me so..... but I actually like usng more than 2-3-5 even 7 shots to zero.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Is it just me so..... but I actually like usng more than 2-3-5 even 7 shots to zero.....

Its just you:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Nah, I like shooting the damn thing, and I figure one shot from a potential group doesn't tell me where the centre of that group will be. Now, three shots will get me pretty damn close, but for me it's more like six minimum. Three shot group to find centre, adjust, three shot group to confirm. If there's more adjustment required, then just one or two shots might be enough, but typically it's groups of three. Zeroing is as good an excuse for valuable trigger time as any, after all.

Where did you serve your time G ?:eek:
    Where did I serve my time or where did I learn about guns??? The answer is not the same to both questions ;)

I know a guy who does a 1 shot group.

Gun in Vise clamped top and bottom
    Fires shot from bore-sighted rifle, adjusts and that's it.

I plan (when I have my own shed sorted) to do same.

Any other shots for game, I hate punching paper for the sake of it.

Currently I do a 3-5 shot zero.
    I wish I could do it in less;)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

Where did I serve my time or where did I learn about guns??? The answer is not the same to both questions ;)

let me have the first guess;)

Prison and the FCA:D:p

johnner1 wrote: »
    let me have the first guess;)

Prison and the FCA:D:p
    LOL fortunately Ive managed to resist the temptation to try both!

• Advertisement

LOL fortunately Ive managed to resist the temptation to try both!

Advertisement