Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireball in the southeast

Options
  • 01-03-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Just saw a fireball travelling east to west looking south from Curracloe to Wexford town about 8:25.
    Low enough in the sky, fairly bright too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

I live in in kilkenny over looking Gowran and seen it, it was mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DavMar

My mam and dad saw it in Waterford around this time too....mam very excited!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Missed that:mad: Love to have seen it!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Saw it in North Tipp too....beautiful sight, can't believe it was visible for so long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Was it definitely a fireball? I saw the same thing at 8pm last night, heading same direction. It was very low in the sky. I was driving in a car and saw it in the front window. I have seen meteors before, they burn out much much quicker and travel a lot faster in my humble experience. This had a long streak behind it - longer than any i seen before. I also thought it was very bright - like sattelite bright. Reminded me more of the ISS then a fireball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

yankinlk wrote: »
    Was it definitely a fireball? I saw the same thing at 8pm last night, heading same direction. It was very low in the sky. I was driving in a car and saw it in the front window. I have seen meteors before, they burn out much much quicker and travel a lot faster in my humble experience. This had a long streak behind it - longer than any i seen before. I also thought it was very bright - like sattelite bright.

Whatever it is I have seen something like it before, only a couple of times...but each time it had a long tail, and travelling almost parralel to the horizon.

yankinlk wrote: »
    Reminded me more of the ISS then a fireball.

Deffo looked *nothing* like the ISS to me...I do try to get out and see the ISS whenever its visible and it has never looked like that when passing over.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

I reported it on Astronomy Ireland and sent them a mail but I didnt get a reply.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

HighWire wrote: »
    I reported it on Astronomy Ireland and sent them a mail but I didnt get a reply.
    :(

Calm before the storm tbh :D

Be afraid, be very afraid. Now they have your email address you'll never get rid of them. Any communication with them and they automatically subscibe you to their mailing list I think. Emails telling them to unsubscribe you have no effect. Impossible to block them because they keep inventing new email addresses! I stupidly sent a fireball report to them a few years ago and I add each new address to my blocklist everytime I get an AI email. I am still getting emails from them years later.

Advertisement