Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAO: LOI fans

• 01-03-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Since Spoting Fingal folded I would like to continue following live LOI football this season and the nearest team would be either Bohs or shels. Just wanted feedback on which team you feel I should follow next. I don't want ot be thought of as a glory hunter:) but I was wondering do you think Shels have a goood chance of promotion this season and would the 1st division standr=ard be a good enough standard to follow. Will it be competitive. I think Waterford are supposed to have a good team this season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi,

Since Spoting Fingal folded I would like to continue following live LOI football this season and the nearest team would be either Bohs or shels. Just wanted feedback on which team you feel I should follow next. I don't want ot be thought of as a glory hunter:) but I was wondering do you think Shels have a goood chance of promotion this season and would the 1st division standr=ard be a good enough standard to follow. Will it be competitive. I think Waterford are supposed to have a good team this season
    Shels fan here, we are bookies favourites to not only get promotion but to also win the division this year. The 1st Division should be at the highest standard it has been in my memory this year. Us, Cork, Waterford and Limerick have all strengthened significantly and Monaghan, Longford and Harps will all take plenty of points off those teams over the course of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hi,

Its up to you. You're the one who will go to the matches so go with Shels if you like them more and they are likely to gain promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Go to both and see what team and ground grabs you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Shels are more likely to be around in twelve months time after Bohs have to start repaying their millions back to Zurich.

Has to be the Reds.*

*Unbiased opinion. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'd echo stovelids advice and say go to a game or two for both and see which one has the most appeal afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

We'll be in a fight for mid-table, perhaps Europe. We're in the Europa league and setanta cup. (Fai cup and ea sports cup too but so are Shels). Tickets are the same prices. We'll have a few good derbies this year too (usually Dundalk, Rovers and Pats are good strong games, sligo also have a good style of play) The standard of the 1st division is really shocking once you go below the top 3 or so.
    Hope this helps you make up your mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Could you rotate each week, or even pick and choose games? That way you'll get to watch both sides, sample both divisions and see more players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

We aren't at home for ages, away to Longford this weekend, then we've a week off, then we play at home Friday fortnight.

If you want, I'll meet you at a Shels match and you can come and sit with me and my mates, we'll have a few beers pre and post match too.

But go down to Dalyer in the meantime, they could do with the money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'd go Bohs. As I think the premiership division is probably more exciting not due to much greater football but the prem div club have a much much larger fan base. Plus if you really start to follow them the propect of europe games and the possibly to catch away games is relatively much easier.

You probably saw it yourself with Sporting. There is much more craic when you're playing the likes of Derry who fans would travel instead of the likes of Murvue et el.

Dya get what I'm saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

They're both cnuts anyway so it won't be an easy choice......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Who did you support before Fingal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks for the feedback lads. I would be concerned though that Bohs will go the way of SF. Also Shels look like a good bet for promotin this yearand I could put up with 1st diviosn football for one season;), I was thinking of getting a season ticket before their first home game and travelling to as many away matches as possible. Lots of good trips away with the teams in the division

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

If I was in your position I'd go with Shels. Seem to be more stable than Bohs and there'd be more interesting away games rather than playing 3 or 4 other Dublin teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

What are your thoughts on real men wearing pink? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Des wrote: »
    If you want, I'll meet you at a Shels match

Des at a Shels match? Well that's a first in a long time iirc.;)

not doing the friendlies Gav.

not doing the friendlies Gav.

Part-timer? ;) Think I remember seeing you twice last season in total Dessie!:D

Think I remember seeing you twice last season in total Dessie!:D

Nah, was there way more than that, although the early part of the season I had no job, so definitely had to cut down on attendance, then I got a job and had to work lates about one week in three, but I think I have that sorted now though, and I've a car, so will probably make a good few aways too.

When you come into the real world and stop being a student sponging off mammy and daddy Gavin, you'll learn a bit about priortising things, especially where money is concerned.

Watch a turgid First Division game versus Mervue or eat for the week is not really a hard choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Billhead, forget the Bohs and Shels nonsense!!

St Pat's is the way to go. I'm born and bred Northsider like yourself.

Bus into town, 78A out to Inchicore. Legendary days ensue!

I love the journey!!

When you come into the real world and stop being a student sponging off mammy and daddy Gavin, you'll learn a bit about priortising things, especially where money is concerned.

Thought you went to Blanch IT no? ;)

Christ I wish, that's why I got myself a job half way through first year tbh, if I was "sponging off" them I'd happily give up my job or even a grant would be nice.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Billhead, forget the Bohs and Shels nonsense!!

St Pat's is the way to go. I'm born and bred Northsider like yourself.

Bus into town, 78A out to Inchicore. Legendary days ensue!

I love the journey!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Too much heroin after the Cliftonville match tonight?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well I'm looking at turning to Bohs myself after all the stick I listened to from Shels fans. It would be way too strange trying to support them.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Too much heroin after the Cliftonville match tonight?;)

:) Just trying to make that one extra recruit before hitting the sack!! If i can just entice this novice, this will finally be the end of Shels!! Bwahaahaaaaaa!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Since Spoting Fingal folded I would like to continue following live LOI football this season and the nearest team would be either Bohs or shels. Just wanted feedback on which team you feel I should follow next. I don't want ot be thought of as a glory hunter:)

Go on....glory hunt..no-one will notice:)

dfx- wrote: »
    Go on....glory hunt..no-one will notice:)

Aye you'd know. Those season tickets selling well, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Galway United ftw. Sure ya have the motorway now and all!

Sold more tickets than your average gate last season so far. And in a recession as well. I'm happy with that.

Because you'd turn away punters of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Very. Well over 2,500 now. In a recession thats very impressive.

If the OP wants to see the champions in the best facilities in Dublin with the biggest crowds, he should hop on the Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Short term:
    Shels would be a great option. It should be a very exciting season. We are known bottlers and this team team will bottle it right at the end again this year. So there wont be a dull moment for this season and for the coming years :pac:

Long term:
    Shels have no longterm future. Bohs have a ground to sell (again) and do have a future but there will be a good few mediocre seasons in between that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Don't go to Bohs :)

The Shels group here are probably regretting their treatment of the Fingal lads now... :)

Support Cork or Derry just to wreck their heads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Pauleta wrote: »
    Long term:
    Shels have no longterm future. Bohs have a ground to sell (again) and do have a future but there will be a good few mediocre seasons in between that.

:D:D:D

zurich-logo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

OP, would you have any friends which attend either teams matches? That would generally be the first thing to look at, its always good when you go with people you know. Shels will be successful in the first division this season (can actually see them winning it, depending on Waterfords quality), and Bohs will be fairly middle of the road, maybe finish mid table. But we have a European match in the summer and the place does be buzzing around that time.

If the OP wants to see the champions in the best facilities in Dublin with the biggest crowds, he should hop on the Luas.

Well unless your current squad can play a lot better than what I seen last season he may aswell got a nap for an hour and a half. Granted it was a friendly, but yous didn't look up to much in Tolka a couple of weeks back.

Folks,

I know its a bit of a trek from where I live but I am going to follow the Super Saints this year. I have just ordered a season ticket, and will hopefully get to attnd a good few away games aswell. If there are any other Pats supporters here that would like to meet up before or at the games send me a pm. :D

• Advertisement

Folks,

I know its a bit of a trek from where I live but I am going to follow the Super Saints this year. I have just ordered a season ticket, and will hopefully get to attnd a good few away games aswell. If there are any other Pats supporters here that would like to meet up before or at the games send me a pm. :D

Don't expect to win a cup of any kind! :pac:

Folks,

That's gear.

When somebody said hop on the luas, they didn't mean to get off at Goldenbridge or Blackhorse! :)

What would be the best route do you reckon if driving from Swords to Inchicore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Through Tallaght ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

M50 to Inchicore exit. Straight road as far as Emmet road (fork in the road) turn right and ground is on your left.

Pats fans might be able to give you better directions but ground is pretty straightforward to get to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

M50 then onto the at palmerstown M4 and turn right before heuston, you are now in Gods Country.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    M50 then onto the at palmerstown M4 and turn right before heuston, you are now in Gods Country.

Would I have to go through the toll. Also how long would the drive roughly be do you think?

Would I have to go through the toll. Also how long would the drive roughly be do you think?

About 19 minutes, coming via the M4 means you avoid the bottom of emmett road after the match and if you park before the ground you be home fairly quickly.

Would I have to go through the toll.

Yes. I know a better way.

drive to Drumcondra, via the M1/Lwr Drumcondra Road, turn left just before Fagan's, you are now at Richmond Road

Yes. I know a better way.

drive to Drumcondra, via the M1/Lwr Drumcondra Road, turn left just before Fagan's, you are now at Richmond Road

Would you not just drive out and pick him up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

stovelid wrote: »
    That's gear.

When somebody said hop on the luas, they didn't mean to get off at Goldenbridge or Blackhorse! :)

I did that once and i was knackered by the time i got to Blackhorse :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

The M50 and Naas road option is the quickest but to avoid the toll go straight into town onto the south quays and keep left and head past Hueston station . Keep left and turn left at the not so round roundabout at Kilmainham. Turn right after the Topaz garage and find parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Folks,

Welcome friend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Welcome friend :)

fwend.jpg

If any fellow Pats fans want to car pool for matches from the North County Dublin area i.e Swords,Lusk,Skerries, Balbriggan send me a pm. It would be good to get to know other fans and also split the transport aka petrol costs:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement