Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom said no reconnection fee, then charged it twice

Options
  • 01-03-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I'm asking on behalf of a friend who isn't yet using the web.

Her landline was cancelled when she moved over to a mobile phone. When she later applied to get the landline reconnected, Eircom told her on the phone that there wouldn't be a reconnection fee. Her first bill (which she paid) included a reconnection fee of €43.30. She's now received the second bill - with a second reconnection fee of €43.30.

I gather Eircom doesn't have the machinery to amend a bill (only to re-credit on a future one), and the bill has to be paid meanwhile. Apart from that, is there any advice I can give her? She's got nowhere with ringing Eircom, and their people keep contradicting each other.
    She's a computer novice and doesn't know how to get on the web (and I don't know re Macs, though I'll try and find instructions). But she does use email, so I could send her links if applicable, & explain how to follow them.

Have to go now, but back in the morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Write them a letter explaining what was said on the phone and ask them about crediting her account or refunding her (thats is they do refunds, which I'm not sure if they do).

Try and get everything in writing - should any problems arise you have proof.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I you perserver you should be able to get a refund but get her facts right before she ring.

Was it an offer?

or

Was the phone only cancelled for a short while?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

OP all I can say if God help your friend.

Had an issue with Eircom last year. I have to say they were the most incompetent fools I ever dealt with. Basically they claimed I owed them a lot more money than I did. After six months of phone calls, letters etc they eventually saw the error of their ways and saw where I was coming from.

All I say is never ever again will I use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Its ironic sometimes the staff with most up to date information are the staff on credit control, the last point of contact before the solicitor!

I wouldn't bother writing as I dont think anyone reads the letters.

Don't pay it and call and explain to the credit controller...if you ever get through to them, must be about 4 covering the whole of Ireland.

But be aware they will cut you off 14 days after the 2nd unpaid bill is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Talk to Eircom

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Fogmatic wrote: »

Her landline was cancelled when she moved over to a mobile phone. When she later applied to get the landline reconnected, Eircom told her on the phone that there wouldn't be a reconnection fee. Her first bill (which she paid) included a reconnection fee of €43.30. She's now received the second bill - with a second reconnection fee of €43.30.

I gather Eircom doesn't have the machinery to amend a bill (only to re-credit on a future one), and the bill has to be paid meanwhile. Apart from that, is there any advice I can give her? She's got nowhere with ringing Eircom, and their people keep contradicting each other.
    She's a computer novice and doesn't know how to get on the web (and I don't know re Macs, though I'll try and find instructions). But she does use email, so I could send her links if applicable, & explain how to follow them.

hI Fogmatic
    If you PM me your friend's tel no I can check this for you. Should be able to clarify situation.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thanks Tony - will do!

Thanks dudara - I didn't think of checking out the 'Talk to' forums.

And thank you all for your responses. I'll report back when something happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Fogmatic,

If you private message me with your friends address or telephone number I can look into the connectin charges for you.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks for the offer, Mark (I've only just seen it, as my internet connection's been down).
    I thought it was already in the hands of Tony though (your colleague above)? It may have been sorted out for all I know.

Thanks for the offer, Mark (I've only just seen it, as my internet connection's been down).
    I thought it was already in the hands of Tony though (your colleague above)? It may have been sorted out for all I know.

Hi Fogmatic
    I did have a look into this issue, however was unable to get to bottom of this issue with the info supplied. I did call your friend twice but was unable to contact her. I did PM you if you could have a look and confirm for me if the details I have are correct? If the details and phone number are correct I will call her again.
    Thanks
    Tony

• Advertisement

As I've just told Tony, I heard from my friend today. She rang Eircom again recently, and had better luck than before. It's apparently sorted (it's just waiting to be confirmed by her next bill).
    I'd given Tony the wrong number (I don't know why it was the number I had).
    Thank you all for taking to trouble to help.

As I've just told Tony, I heard from my friend today. She rang Eircom again recently, and had better luck than before. It's apparently sorted (it's just waiting to be confirmed by her next bill).
    I'd given Tony the wrong number (I don't know why it was the number I had).
    Thank you all for taking to trouble to help.

Thanks Frogmatic,
    yes have that now. Glad to hear issue sorted.
    Tony

Advertisement