Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using another ISPs router

• 01-03-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

My Eircom router isn't working at the moment. I have an old IOL router which works fine, though I cannot access the router menu. None of the Username/Passwords work.
    If I use this router in it's current state can I be charged in any way by IOL/Vodafone or am I still essentially using my Eircom DSL service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,311 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Zatoichi wrote: »
    My Eircom router isn't working at the moment. I have an old IOL router which works fine, though I cannot access the router menu. None of the Username/Passwords work.
    If I use this router in it's current state can I be charged in any way by IOL/Vodafone or am I still essentially using my Eircom DSL service?
    Assuming its a DSL Gateway-Router you arent being charged by IOL. Your IP Address is still being provided through your DSL line which is still being maintained by Eircom.

Either way I assume you've contacted Eircom to troubleshoot the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Overheal wrote: »
    Assuming its a DSL Gateway-Router you arent being charged by IOL. Your IP Address is still being provided through your DSL line which is still being maintained by Eircom.

Either way I assume you've contacted Eircom to troubleshoot the problem.

I'm getting a different IP than I'd normally get and when I go to speedtest.net it says my ISP is Vodafone. :confused:

Eircom are giving me the run-around. I told them the problem is with their router but they just come back with 'the line is working'. When I pushed to get the router changed they said I have to sign another contract with them if I wanted it done free of charge. I'm a bit apprehensive of hidden costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,311 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Eircom are giving me the run-around. I told them the problem is with their router but they just come back with 'the line is working'. When I pushed to get the router changed they said I have to sign another contract with them if I wanted it done free of charge. I'm a bit apprehensive of hidden costs.
    Saying the DSL line is working may be all well and good and true but the Router is not the Line and the dingbat on the other end of the phone might not understand that. The Gateway has to interact with that line though and if the gateway is braindamaged it cant associate with a perfectly good line, no matter how perfect or good you are being told that it is.

Check your Contract with them but Im fairly certain the Gateway Router is their property and is a pretty basic requirement of using their service. In the US the device is technically leased out to the subscriber: if the device ****s up, it's up to the service provider to supply a working replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i have an eircom router lying about

its the netopia one.

PM me if you want it.

Advertisement