Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube requires Gmail account for login?

Options
  • 01-03-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Anyone else getting forced to connect their Youtube account with Gmail?
    (i.e if you dont have a Gmail account you cant login to your Youtube account)?

Not that I use the Youtube account much- the favorites are handy tho, just thought it was a bit cheeky (or maybe Im just doing something wrong...)

:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I just logged out of my youtube account and it fucked off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Your Google account and YouTube account are connected,its been like that since Google bought it a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Your Google account and YouTube account are connected,its been like that since Google bought it a few years ago.

Ok, but I use my hotmail account to login into Youtube and never had any issues until today when it blocked me and told me to create a Gmail account instead.

....but I guess its not a general issue so no worries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

This is actually relatively new. I nuked my Gmail account months ago, but was still able to login to Youtube. Now, I'm forced to recreate a Google/Gmail account to access my pre-established Youtube account.

Result = ditching my Youtube account. :P I'm happy to sign up for individual services when they offer value. I'm not happen when a megalith like Google forces me to have one of their 'we want all your data everywhere' accounts.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

You don't have to have a gmail, as you can see from the picture it says gmail or your youtube account. You just need to use your youtube username and password. (they even put the or in bold)

youtubeo.png

Just to let you know yahoo has been doing the whole you can only use us things for years as has microsoft

EDIT: just tried signing in with my old youtube details, not outside email address and told me to use my gmail account that's connected too

• Advertisement

Right. And once you enter that, you get the following:

Update your YouTube account by linking to a Google Account
    You will no longer be able to sign in to YouTube without a Google Account. If you do not want to link this YouTube account, you can sign out here.

And, for the record, my Windows Live passport is linked to my personal email, and didn't require me to sign up for Hotmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think the Google account and it's interconnectivity is extremely handy.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think the Google account and it's interconnectivity is extremely handy.

I'm sure it is for people who want to use Gmail and other Google products (and have their usage and data mined) in an interconnected way. I'm not one of them, though I would have liked to have had the option to have a YouTube account by itself. Sadly, no longer an option, so for my own uploads, etc. I'll just use Vimeo.

I'm sure it is for people who want to use Gmail and other Google products (and have their usage and data mined) in an interconnected way.
    Google is doing that to you anyway whether your using a google account or not, it just with the google account you can take advantage of all that mined data yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

This is a serious pain in the ass. Took me nearly an hour to sort out, my you-tube account is fixed to my yahoo account and then it tied my google account, somehow passwords got messed up since i use different passwords for different sites. I was battling with email account verifications and invalid captcha's (GOD HOW I ****ING HATE CHAPTCHA'S!!!). In the end, I calmly deleted my old you tube account and created a new one which I tied to gmail, I just didnt have enough patience to sort it out the right way.

I really dont like the fact that you have to link the accounts. Seems like a reduction in your online anonymity and privacy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

If you have an older youtube account, there is no change. If you want to set-up a new account then you have to create a Gmail account.

It's a result of Googles takeover of youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rockrooky

A couple weeks ago YouTube began not recognizing my login, unless I began using a gmail accnt. I only subscribe to a number of creators and don't upload, so I just gave up access to my subscriptions and my ability to comment. I continued to view videos.

A few days ago YouTube sent me an email at my Yahoo accnt. asking me to come back. I responded that I did not have a gmail account. There was no response from them after that, but since then I am not even allowed to browse at YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

You don't need Gmail to have a Google account, I set one up with my Hotmail and it works fine for Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Koloman wrote: »
    If you have an older youtube account, there is no change. If you want to set-up a new account then you have to create a Gmail account.

It's a result of Googles takeover of youtube.

Wrong.
    I have an 'old' youtube account, probably 3/4years by now. This week when I hit that 'share button' it was the end of Youtube for me. They demanded to link my Youtube with a gmail account and what is far worse in my opinion is that they also want my personal phone number. I have refused to do any of these things so I remain locked out.

Since then I have done a little reseach and these heavy handed draconian demands by Google is having a serious impact on many Youtube users. Some of which make their livings from Youtube and they are being 'threatend with having their vids taken down if they don't submit and comply.

I think there needs to be some serious debate at the highest level in every developed country about the ramifications of a gigantic Global company taking over another huge Global organistion (when issues of Privacy/peoples livelyhoohds/quality of life etc etc are likely to be affected) such as what as happened with Google/Youtube.

These are interesting:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=5f522d5ddc400f2a&hl=en

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/need-google-account-to-sign-in-to-youtube/

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=6131dc6892511376&hl=en

Wrong.
    I have an 'old' youtube account, probably 3/4years by now. This week when I hit that 'share button' it was the end of Youtube for me. They demanded to link my Youtube with a gmail account and what is far worse in my opinion is that they also want my personal phone number.
    From waht I remember you have the option to add your phone number to your account so that you can retrieve your password. Very handy if Gmail is your main account and you'd have no other way of accessing it should you forget your password.

I really don't see the problem, google and youtube are the same company, all they're doing is making the google account the main account for accessing google content, what difference does it make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

What is far worse in my opinion is that they also want my personal phone number.

What do they do with your phone number? They have my number about ten times over and I've never been contacted.

Desire. wrote: »
    What do they do with your phone number? They have my number about ten times over and I've never been contacted.
    :( ,<- it's clickable.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Brilliant news this morning. I am back on Youtube. No explanation for it but can access it again from any route. I quickly checked my old Gmail account to see if there was any linkup without my permission and could not see any.
    I then accessed a video and tried the 'share' button and another request to linkup appeared. I simply closed the box and copied the link into a separate email browser no problem. I also continued to watch video with no problem. So what is happening, here are some thoughts.

1, Maybe they have reversed this policy alltogether (personally I doubt it).

2, Maybe they have just given me a taste of life without Youtube ( I admit it was not very pleasant) and will do it again shortly.
    or
    3, Maybe they shut you out and then if you make no attempt to to submit to the demands and stay away they restore your access but without certain features (such as that share button).

My opinion would be no 3 which would be the most sensible for them as they will not lose viewers such as myself who refuse to link and supply numbers and they would obviously retain those that simply linked etc.
    Great thinking, smart Google!

Lets hope it is number 3. Options are nice and friendlysmile.gif. If it is 3, thank you Google we're friends again.smile.gif

Advertisement