Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one is the right RAM??

Options
  • 01-03-2011 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

this might seem like a daft question but I have an almost 9 year old Packard Bell PC, it's still working away fine, just find it's slowing down a bit again, 3 years ago it slowed down and I added more memory to it, brought it up to 1gb, was going to get a new PC but funds don't allow at the moment and as I do I was browsing for something else related to the computer but came across a post saying the computer was actually able to take 2 GB of ram where I thought it was 1 gb, but it also gave a different name for the motherboard, I opened it up and got the name, Gigabyte GB 8SIML Rev 1, this one http://www.gigabyte.lv/products/mb/specs/ga-8siml.html and it says it can take up to 2gb, but the main motherboard thats associated to it is Columbia GX GB 8SIML which shows up as max RAM of 1gb, I ran loads of memory scanners when buying memory for it and they all said max 1 gb, but also the memory they recommended was DDR PC2700 which is what I bought at the time but on looking today at the old memory I had taken out it was actually DDR PC2100 that I had taken, I've learnt a lot more about memory since then, so all I can see is that it's the first motherboard and it will take 2 which I've found on a website for about €30 so think it would be worth a shot but does anyone see anything obvious that I'm missing between both motherboards, I've tried to find a link with the specs of the other Mother board but can't find it anywhere, after 9 years I'm not surprised but would love to get another year or two out of our PC if we can!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

seriously you could upgrade your motherboard + cpu and ram + gcard for less than €200

maplin in dublin do such upgrade kits

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

I don't have that kind of money to put into it, and hope in the next year or two to get a new pc and pass this one on anyway.... was also led to believe in another post that because it's almost 9 years old most of the pieces wouldn't be re useable anyway.....

Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd assume the price on old technology would start creeping up once it goes out of production.

I think it's a complete waste of time upgrading something so old, keep your money and put it towards something better. That PC won't improve much no matter what you do to it. Browse the likes of adverts and donedeal for something a bit newer.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

I know it seems a waste of money to put any into it, but its currently working quite good, when I upgraded the memory 3 years ago it was almost 6 years old then, and it's been working away fine, the increase to 1gb of memory then brought it out of a cupboard it had been in for a year due to not working properly, I'd like to think that doubling the RAM in it would give it a little bit more, I've learnt a lot in the years about what not to put on to a computer and how to keep clean so it works better now than 6 years ago... I do think if it's the right memory and the motherboard can take it that it's worth paying €30 for it, wouldn't pay anymore than that.... So I just wanted to know if anyone has ever come across the differences I posted above between what scanners say are in the computers and what the motherboard actuall is...

Advertisement