Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best steak in Dublin

Options
  • 01-03-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm been searching online all evening and really am more confused than I started with!

My OH has his birthday next week and we have decided to take the day off work and treat ourselfs to a day out. Its my turn to do the organising for him and at first I thought it would be easy peasy... now I think I am overwhelmed with ideas :-S

I was thinking a quick lunch and then a trip on a sea safari but that doesnt seem to be working out so i'm on to plan B... treat him to a lovely lunch somewhere, and then potter around the city for the afternoon. (shopping is out of the question!)

He adores steak and I was thinking about splashing the cash a little and going somewhere a bit nicer than our usual. I wouldnt often spend more than €70 on a meal but I would go up to around the €100 mark for this treat if the meal was guaranteed to be special.... Dont want to end up on Beans and toast all month for no reason!

I seen that shannahans on the green do a lunch special on a Friday for €45 per person. Does anyone know if this is really worth the price and if we are guaranteed a nice dinner. I have heard mixed reviews but they were last year, and normally lunch is a fraction of quality compared to the dinner service. Their sample menu looks ok though.

I was also thinking of Chapter one, Would this be nicer than shannahans?

Can anyone reccomend anywhere else that anyone would reccomend in Dublin for a great steak or meal?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Shanahans has always been noted for its steak but whether they justify the price tag or not I don't know. Their dinner menu is really expensive, at up to 50 quid for a steak it would need to be damned good!

Trocadero do an excellent steak at a more realistic price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Darwins do better and more interesting cuts than Shanahans, they are not as expensive and all the beef is organic Irish reared Angus.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Nicest steak without a doubt in Dublin would have to be Shanahan's. On Fridays, they do a lunch special, which is 3 courses for €45. Amazing value & the whole experience is amazing. Heading there myself in a few weeks. They have a website where all the menus are listed - check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Ive eaten at Marco Pierre Whites on Dawson street twice now and both times the steak was savage!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whadafook

You could try Rustic Stone, not as expensive but you get the novelty factor of cooking the steak at your table. Food is very good there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Surprisingly, Frankie's in Temple Bar (associated with Marco Pierre Whites) is quite good.
    I say surprisingly because it's in Temple Bar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

One Pico
    Marco Pierre White
    Pearl Brasserie

The above are the "best" steaks in town. Now, if you want a "steakhouse" as in American Style steak, the above aren't right for you... they're French essentially.

temply wrote: »
    Nicest steak without a doubt in Dublin would have to be Shanahan's. On Fridays, they do a lunch special, which is 3 courses for €45

Thanks Temply... good value for Shanahan's. You should try Darwins, not cheap, but amazing steaks, similar to Shanahans, but organic and Angus.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Thanks Temply... good value for Shanahan's. You should try Darwins, not cheap, but amazing steaks, similar to Shanahans, but organic and Angus.
    Not a fan of Darwins. Organic and "Angus" mean nothing when they are not aged and/or cooked properly.

Each to their own, I like my meat well aged and rare, my rib-eye was well hung for a long time and cooked just right! (barely cooked ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Have been to Darwins & yes it is fab - But I made the mistake of ordering my steak there medium rare & my god it came out swimming in blood (I like it a teeny bit bloody & pink) and while it was nice I was cringeing a bit eating it!

I love that, but again, each to their own, I am sure they wouldn't mind cooking it a bit more if you had asked. I was out with a pregnant girl a while ago (I didn't know, but pregnant girls can't have very rare meat), her steak came our fairly rare and they didn't mind cooking it a bit more at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

whadafook wrote: »
    You could try Rustic Stone, not as expensive but you get the novelty factor of cooking the steak at your table. Food is very good there

I don't know why anyone would want to cook it themselves at the table, isn't that defeating the purpose of going to a restaurant in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone would want to cook it themselves at the table, isn't that defeating the purpose of going to a restaurant in the first place?
    you'd be surprised how much you'd enjoy it!

been to a similar place before abroad (the missus brought me :D ), didn't realise there was one so close. Sure it's a novelty, but you get to big chunk of meat that you cut away at and cook as little or as much on the stone. I though it was brilliant! I've had great steak on FXBs on pembroke st., pricey though too, not far off Shanahans i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Darwins do better and more interesting cuts than Shanahans, they are not as expensive and all the beef is organic Irish reared Angus.

I heard that they both have the same supplier, and to go to Darwins as it would be just as good but cheaper. But I dunno how good the info is and haven't eaten in either of them.
    OP you could try the Buenos Aires Grill on Golden Lane, there is a boards deal going for it! http://www.boardsdeals.ie/

Personal choice would be FXBs Crow street, had a lovely sirloin there, little bit more done than medium-rare but still moist and very tasty.
    It would be a good idea to book though, it's a very popular spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Fallon and Byrnes and l'Gueuleton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Have to recommend The Odessa just off Dame Street. Was there recently and their steak is just mouth melting! Not cheapy cheap, but could definitely get starters and steaks for under €50 each - http://www.odessa.ie/menus.php. I think that Odessa does dinners during the day, but maybe better to ring first and check.

Another place that I would recommend for steak is Bridge Bar and Grill - http://www.bridgebarandgrill.ie/home/#menus.all_day. It's a bit away from town - close to the Docklands. But, if you go there for food, you can have a bit of a wander around the Docklands and then it's a 20 min walk, or 10 min Luas ride, back into town. Take a walk back by the Liffey and get a ride on the Dublin Eye on the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

sakani wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm been searching online all evening and really am more confused than I started with!

My OH has his birthday next week and we have decided to take the day off work and treat ourselfs to a day out. Its my turn to do the organising for him and at first I thought it would be easy peasy... now I think I am overwhelmed with ideas :-S

I was thinking a quick lunch and then a trip on a sea safari but that doesnt seem to be working out so i'm on to plan B... treat him to a lovely lunch somewhere, and then potter around the city for the afternoon. (shopping is out of the question!)

He adores steak and I was thinking about splashing the cash a little and going somewhere a bit nicer than our usual. I wouldnt often spend more than €70 on a meal but I would go up to around the €100 mark for this treat if the meal was guaranteed to be special.... Dont want to end up on Beans and toast all month for no reason!

I seen that shannahans on the green do a lunch special on a Friday for €45 per person. Does anyone know if this is really worth the price and if we are guaranteed a nice dinner. I have heard mixed reviews but they were last year, and normally lunch is a fraction of quality compared to the dinner service. Their sample menu looks ok though.

I was also thinking of Chapter one, Would this be nicer than shannahans?

Can anyone reccomend anywhere else that anyone would reccomend in Dublin for a great steak or meal?

Thanks!

Can you refine this search a bit.

I take it you want to dine in the city center.

When you say he adores steak does size come into this (does for me)

Most of the fine restaurants mentioned above charge €35 -€50 before starters or sides for 8oz-12oz and some just don't serve steak.

the only one I have not been in yet is Marco's but of these and from what I hear could be a good option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Each to their own, I like my meat well aged and rare, my rib-eye was well hung for a long time and cooked just right! (barely cooked ;))

Shouldn't a rib eye be cooked at least medium rare to melt the fat that runs through it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Shouldn't a rib eye be cooked at least medium rare to melt the fat that runs through it?

True.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Foodfanatic

I have to say l'Gueuleton too. Its a lovely french restaurant which serves an amazing rib eye steak with some of the best fries I have ever tasted. I prefer it to Marco Pierre Whites restaurant in Dawson Street.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Shouldn't a rib eye be cooked

Should be cooked the way you like it! But, thanks for the advice, I'd say you are right, I WILL try it medium rare.

(I have to refine my stig of the dump habits)

xoxyx wrote: »
    Have to recommend The Odessa just off Dame Street. Was there recently and their steak is just mouth melting! Not cheapy cheap, but could definitely get starters and steaks for under €50 each - http://www.odessa.ie/menus.php. I think that Odessa does dinners during the day, but maybe better to ring first and check.

Another place that I would recommend for steak is Bridge Bar and Grill - http://www.bridgebarandgrill.ie/home/#menus.all_day. It's a bit away from town - close to the Docklands. But, if you go there for food, you can have a bit of a wander around the Docklands and then it's a 20 min walk, or 10 min Luas ride, back into town. Take a walk back by the Liffey and get a ride on the Dublin Eye on the way!
    Have to agree with Bridge too. It's "bigger" sister Town is amazing too.
    The food quality in Bridge is almost as good but miles cheaper.

Advertisement