Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activities For Intellectual Disabilities

Options
  • 01-03-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all-I am currently doing a work placement in an adult respite care unit for adults with learning disabilities and I'm looking for interesting activities to do in and around Galway. Something a little different apart from bowling and cinema. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated-cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Talk to the guys at pureskill (www.pureskill.ie), and make sure and get a hefty discount :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

To what extent are their learning difficulties? Are those difficulties coupled with any physical ones inc epilespy? I worked in Galway for 7 years with people with disabilties, so can offer a few suggestions, depending of course on the abilities of the people/group you are working with.

Cinema and bowling are always way to common an option but can be made more entertaining by trying a new cinema/bowling alley where you can have lunch, grab a coffee etc. Have you access to a car/bus? public transport is pretty okay.

Walks in the woods; Kilcornan is not bad, and they have a sensory garden; and Renville, Uncleens, Merlin..
    Menlo pier, nice to go feed ducks and explore the woods; there's an old castle too uneven ground tho so you may need to support some people
    The Aquarium; nice spot to have lunch also
    Sometimes stores like a huge toy store/garden centre/train station/Galway airport have interesting sensory experiences, and again depending on the needs and abilities of the group
    Look out for theatre shows in the town hall, and Bank of ireland theatre in NUIG; often lots of matinees as well as evening shows. Blue Teapot are a group of actors who have disabilities but out on great shows!
    Turoe pet Farm, and other pet farms around..
    Coole Park, and gort for lunch..bit of a spin..
    Galway museum down Spanish Arch and nice cafe..
    Dangan, stroll by the river along the old railway line..

I'll keep thinking in work today..

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Depending on the particular disabilities, could you do something like a bike ride; perhaps a tandem bike ride in some cases. The past few days have been quite pleasant weather wise and a good reminder that many parts of the city are interesting and scenic to explore.

Swimming also, is great; even if the person can't swim, there are plenty of shallow pools and it's lots of fun! Even when the weather is warmer consider heading to Silver Strand or somewhere for a picnic and a dip!

Cappagh Woods is great too, leads onto Barna Woods I think. Big playground, swings, slides etc which during the school hours is empty.

Some of my suggestions might seem 'childish' but it just depends on the group you work with really..

You will find as you go which hotels, cafes and pubs are more wheelchair accessible/have suitable sized loo's/space also..

Conside local clubs/gyms that nigth have ope sessions for tennis/badminton/footie/trampolining etc

Day trip to Aran is also great craic; a stroll, a luch and pint in the pub, and the boat/plane trip
    Cliffs of Moher, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ningnong

Racking my brains here....what about Brigit's Garden? Or maybe contact a local Artist who could give an art class for the day/half day? There's a guy Stuideo na Coiribe in Annaghdown who did art for people with intellectual disabilities before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Largo

Hi Folks-thanks a million for all the suggestions they ought to keep us busy for the next while.:)

Find a session/trad music in one of the pubs..
    As mentioned, hire a muscian/artist for a few hours (or search on volunteergalway.ie) for a singalong or something
    Check when the ships come in at the docks, you can often get a tour onboard

Advertisement