Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Virus

• 02-03-2011 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Can anyone recommend a cheap anti virus? Maybe around £30-£40.

Currently I am using McAfee which came with my laptop, which expires on 6/3.

I'd rather not use Norton as I find it makes the computer run slow.

I'm using Windows 7.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ShakyJ

Use avg free or comodo and save the funds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Nod32 seems to be one of the best rated it'll cost around €45 for the year. Regarding AVG free you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks for the recommendations.

I'll look into Nod 32.

I've had Avg free before and tbh wasn't too impressed with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Just because you pay for it doesn't make it any use, Norton and McAfee are good examples of this, I would suggest Avira, why waste €45 when you don't have to, if you are still in doubt ask a question about what's the best AV in Computers and technology forum, you won't find many are using "Paid For" solutions.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

uch wrote: »
    Just because you pay for it doesn't make it any use, Norton and McAfee are good examples of this, I would suggest Avira, why waste €45 when you don't have to, if you are still in doubt ask a question about what's the best AV in Computers and technology forum, you won't find many are using "Paid For" solutions.

If it's a paid option you really want, then Norton isn't a bad option at all. It still has a bad rep from years ago, but has really changed. It can be got quite cheap on Amazon if you look around.

I would stay away from McAfee though. Not good.

Also another free option would be Avast! free

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks for the help everyone.

It doesn't have to be a "paid for" solution, I'd gladly use a free anti-virus.

I downloaded the ESET Nod32, but it won't work cos it's a 32-bit and my laptop is a 64-bit so I got Microsoft Security Essentials in the mean time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

anvira anti vir is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Thanks for the help everyone.

It doesn't have to be a "paid for" solution, I'd gladly use a free anti-virus.

I downloaded the ESET Nod32, but it won't work cos it's a 32-bit and my laptop is a 64-bit so I got Microsoft Security Essentials in the mean time.
    I've been using MSE for the past few weeks and I'm quite impressed. I used to use avast but I didn't really like it.

MSE also found a couple of things that avast obviously hadn't when I ran my first scan after installation.

Advertisement