Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ISS photo tonight

• 02-03-2011 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

16B1F10EE94B43A6886CAC6A5E42C473-0000334828-0002195321-00500L-F3C4B4ED02AA4C37B6CF7B9DE87F7000.jpg

I took the above (and a few others) this evening using a tripod, of the ISS passing over. I can't help but notice the strange apparent oscillation in the track of the ISS - it seems to me that it is either a vibration in the decking surface the tripod was on or something atmospheric. Anyone else any other suggestions?

Edit: Maybe it's speed wobble.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Is it doppler shift ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

its proof that the ISS isnt real!!

I can tell by the the real life pixels!!!

/runs to CT forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

My guess is that its cause by how the camera processes data from the image sensor. In your image the ISS is passing diagonally across the frame and would be jumping between which pixel the camera is detecting it on.

Also, you should open up your aperture and drop the ISO level way down for pictures like that. Will give you a much cleaner image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Prenderb wrote: »

I took the above (and a few others) this evening using a tripod, of the ISS passing over. I can't help but notice the strange apparent oscillation in the track of the ISS - it seems to me that it is either a vibration in the decking surface the tripod was on or something atmospheric. Anyone else any other suggestions?

Edit: Maybe it's speed wobble.

Does the ISS track run from bottom-right to top-left? The 'wobble' is quite
    pronounced at the start of the track and the amplitude falls gradually until
    it disappears at about 1.5-2s into the exposure. The most likely cause is
    mirror slap. I have seen other reports of this problem with the K-x.

Can you use mirror lockup or live view mode with the K-x? This
    might cure the problem. I would also suggest that you use a lower
    ISO setting and longer exposure.

Here is one I took with my Panasonic FZ-28. The exposure time is 30s.
    http://pix.ie/corkpix/1562599/size/800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I though as much myself today, but I use the 2s timer which is supposed to lockup the mirror then release shutter 2S after. I'll try again tonight and see if moving the tripod off the deck helps. Also will adjust exposure settings as suggested. Thanks all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    My guess is that its cause by how the camera processes data from the image sensor. In your image the ISS is passing diagonally across the frame and would be jumping between which pixel the camera is detecting it on.

Yeah, it's probably an aliasing artifact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I did the same thing!

l7oxf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I got off the deck and onto the grass tonight. This is what happened.

74E8462FF2464335AC170460C1416DD7-0000334828-0002196021-00800L-8BEE5F14B1D84BE09D2FEBD46DC73332.jpg

No zigzag steps, as far as I can make out. I hereby blame my stable deck building ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

I hereby blame my stable deck building ability.

Yup - you probably stepped back from the camera and shifted your weight accordingly..

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

nice pic
    Prenderb wrote: »
    I got off the deck and onto the grass tonight. This is what happened.

74E8462FF2464335AC170460C1416DD7-0000334828-0002196021-00800L-8BEE5F14B1D84BE09D2FEBD46DC73332.jpg

No zigzag steps, as far as I can make out. I hereby blame my stable deck building ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I wonder if anyone in this thread has noticed that my shot was done in paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Zillah wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone in this thread has noticed that my shot was done in paint.

You should have put in some noise and a few stars :)

Advertisement