Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work problems

Options
  • 02-03-2011 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work on a job which is part technical and part lifting gear. There are a couple of doing this type of work. However one guy is doing all the technical work and leaving us to do all the lifting work.(even though it's not hard work he doesn't seem to like doing it) So we are getting no experience while he is cruising ahead. He has been there the longest and that partly why he is in this positition.although the other participants aren't happy they are just getting on with it I however am fed up not getting experience.

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Could you not hint to him or just tell him?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

yes i have hinted slightly but he has just ignored it. i have a feeling he might do the same if i just come out and say something

I have a problem with assertiveness what should i say to him?

Also i m not sure how the bosses feel about this. He is good at his job but part of that is because of his background and part of that is because no one else gets the same chance

Anyone?

I know this is a minor matter by PI standards but I'm useless at these situations and this is really annoying?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

OP, I've moved your thread here as you hopefully will get a better response here.

Anonymous posting is allowed here.

Maple.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Talk to your manager about it: ultimately they are responsible for deciding who does what.

But phrase it in terms of you wanting to get more experience, rather than being about him directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I have a problem with assertiveness what should i say to him?

With respect OP, there is no solution to this problem where you can avoid being assertive.

As the above posted says, discuss discreetly with your manager saying you would prefer to get more exposure to tech work and would like the work more evenly distributed.

Your manager might say:
    (1) "Things are fine the way they are, let him do all the tech work."
    (2) "Sort it out amongst yourselves." (most likely)
    (3) "OK. I'll do a roster of manual vs non-manual work and circulate it to all. Thanks for bringing to my attention." (ideal)

So when you raise it, make sure you know how you will react to each of the above three possibilities.

Good luck.

thanks for the replies.

That is a good suggestion about dividing the roster. i will say that.

At this stage i am so pissed off i feel like leaving

the other technician has his hours worked up so that he never has to clean up i feel really annoyed with him and feel i should say something to him

Also i didnt wantt to give away too much detail earlier but its a fas scheme i am on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,511 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Learning to assert yourself is a skill that you could afford to learn on a FAS scheme. You really don't have anything to lose. Ask the other two to have a discussion with you and put it to them that the experience opportunities should be distributed more equally. If you don't get anywhere then talk to your boss and explain your concern at not getting the experience. That is, after all, what you are there for.

The guy that is getting all the experience is pretty good at his job. If we were left to his job we mightn't be able to it especially if something went wrong. And he's keeping us in the dark

tbh I feel they are taking advantage. I heard someone say you are suposed to learning a trade on a fas scheme but we are learning nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Explain to your boss that if this person is out from work, you and the others are not trained up or getting experience.

It's a badly run business that has only one person indispensable. It's a risk if they get run down by the proverbial 46A

Well word it better then this but you get my point

• Advertisement

Ok I have spoke up but things aren't getting better

this sounds paranoid but how do you know if someone is trying to force you from a job?

How much notice do you need to give when leaving? Would there be any point complaining after you leave? If your attendance isn't good is there any point leaving?

Advertisement