Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Level French

• 02-03-2011 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hey. Sorry to bother you. But with my teacher being completely absent this past while (or through rejecting the honours side of the class). I am taking it upon my self. Not long left till the LC and I really want to do honours French.

anyway, all I want to know is what do I need to know to get a good C3?

Like Essay titles? anyone got a list of them? all preferably.
    Then grammar what do I need to know?
    Oral work?
    The aural gets me most of the time... ill just have to practice that :S

Anything else I have missed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Well I do honors french and I'm about a B/A student so I suppose I'm qualified enough to give hints :p
    Essays you need to know are things like, Young peoples problems, young people drink too much etc. Theres also lots of "You have just" kind of essays. Like, "You have just arrived in france to improve your french" "You have just finished the leaving cert" (LOTS of finishing the leaving cert essays actually) "You have just had a fight with your friend", them kind of essays. Also, you have to be able to write a formal and informal letter or email. To a friend or an employer/shop etc. The friend stuff is usually "How are you, I am fine" etc, then describing your holiday or some such. The formal letters/emails can be looking for a job, complaining about a product fault, or a bad hotel stay or something. Then theres your opinion piece where you are given a picture and asked to give your opinion on the statement it makes. Or in my case I had to talk about cooking, weather I like it or not, and if its healthy to cook for yourself.

Grammar, your tenses. Past, present, future, simple future, imperfect, conditional, plus perfect and probably one or two more.. we don't have them all done. And also the irregular verbs like Avoir and Etre that come up EVERYWHERE. They are the two most important verbs.

Oral, you can choose to bring in a picture if you want and talk about it. You talk about yourself, appearance, hobbies, family, house, subjects, school, uniform, music, sport, politics, anything really. Or if you don't like sport (or politics in my case) you can say it doesn't interest you BUT, something else (like music) does. That way you can kind of control how the conversation flows.

I find aural the easiest. As your general french grammar gets better, it will too. It just takes practice.

Also, comprehensions. Practice, practice, practice.

I hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

If you are looking for a C3, focus on the oral, aural and comprehensions. Doing all the comprehensions in the exam papers will help, and you can go onto wikipedia.fr or the like and just read as much as you can. That's 120 marks right there... over 25%. As the above poster said, learn the basics, but prepare a document and a couple of more challenging topics such as drugs, racism, indiscipline in school etc... for the oral. Then the aural is just practice again.

Work through the exam papers and if you get all of these done, you're on your way. Good luck

Advertisement