Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rc Cars Speed Test

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

There is a doppler effect program you can download and it will calculate the speed from the audio portion of your recordings.

Im sure somebody knows a link for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭psjdstu

Here a speed test with my losi mini sct with stock battery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_MgN3VAmc

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

psjdstu wrote: »
    Here a speed test with my losi mini sct with stock battery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_MgN3VAmc

Thanks

You could use a sat nav for getting a highest speed reading so you could give it a long run. Drive it all around the place and the highest speed reached would be recorded. It might be too heavy for the smaller car.

The speed gun I have is accurate to 1 km so you wont really more accurate then that. On the website where I got the car top speed with stock battery is 30 km.

Thank for the comment

Its not to do with the accuracy that i made the comment. Its just a suggestion as the sat nav would be reading the speed the entire time. We use satellite stuff to get our ground speed on long range flights so as to know which way the wind is moving and how fast, but thats a different story.

• Advertisement

Here the Losi mini SCT rockstar with a 1300mah 20c lipo battery in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UHnfkX5ec8

Let me know what you think

Thank

Looks like you would get a bit more out of it on a longer run probably. Where do you get your batteries?

I get all my rc car stuff from modelsports.co.uk . They cheaper then getting anything from ireland. Evan when you take in account of the delivery charge.

This is a speed would my losi micro-t with a lipo battery. I got a the speed gun to pick it upwith the lipo battery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiaL6RiYpoY

Hope you like.

Please leave some comment

Because the weather is getting better now. I can do some speed test would my hpi trophy buggy 3.5 and hpi trophy truggy 4.6 . These cars are much faster and more powerful.

These vids will be coming soon.

Thanks

psjdstu wrote: »
    I get all my rc car stuff from modelsports.co.uk . They cheaper then getting anything from ireland. Evan when you take in account of the delivery charge.

Have a look at hobbyking.com for the lipo batteries. I get them from there for cularis, radian, and t-rex 450 and 600.

• Advertisement

Here a speed test I done with my hpi trophy truggy 4.6 nitro. In this test I used only 16% nitro fuel.

HPI Trophy Truggy 4.6 Speed Test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FES07fxPVsg

I order some 25% so I am going to do another test. Should get a bit more speed with that fuel.

Thanks

More vids soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Yes using 25% nitro should improve the speed a bit

However to get real extra speed will probably require several hop up parts

A larger ratio final drive gear cog could improve speed a lot more
    Getting a longer tuned pipe for the engine could also improve speed a lot more
    Using your own formula fuel that you mix could also improve speed a lot more and some speed merchants use as much as 60% nitro fuels to get max power
    Getting smoother tyres and a longer smoother track could improve speed a lot as it takes time to get faster speeds

Air resistance goes up by the sqaure of the speed . That means as you go from 30 MPH to 60MPH the increase in air drag will go up by 4 times

An example of this is say on a full sized car we measured how many horse power it required to drive the wing mirror through the air at 100MPH
    Often on a racing car a round mirror will require 5 brake horse power to be used to drive the wing mirror through the air
    Then simply put it will require 20 brake horse power to drive the same wing mirror through the air at 200 MPH and as little as 1 brake horse power to go through the air at 50MPH
    Your cars speed about ~40 MPH suggests that your drag shape is about the same as a wing mirror of a car

So as we go faster streamlining the shape of car will have a more important impact on the speed especaily once we go faster than 40 MPH

Unknown to most people is it isnt the front being sharp that gets you speed but the shape of the back of the car that decides the the air resistance

This means a car with a blunt front shape but sharp pointed rear end will have less air drag than a car with a sharp nose point and blunt rear end

I know its not logical but that physics of air restance for you nature doesnt care what ideas we have it does its thing
    needess to say a sharp pointed front and sharp pointed back shaped car will be best shape to create the least drag

As we start to need more power to go faster it is often seen high speed cars will start to put two engines or even three or four engines in to the same model car to get faster speeds
    Top speeds with four engine versions tends to be sub ~100 MPH as often the shapes are not very pointed or streamlined

Other cars which use a wire and circular track no RC unit for guiding the car tend to use very streamlined shapes sharp front and sharp pointed back shapes with small narrow wheels to reduce friction and only one engine with long tuned pipe
    Their speeds often exceed 150 MPH some even get to ~200 MPH due tohow well streamlined they are and leave smulti engine cars in their slip streams

Derry

This is a vid of me doing a speed test with my Hpi Trophy Buggy 3.5. The first few runs were a bit slow because the car has not been driven i awhile. I had to warm it up a bit first.

Hope you like

Hpi Trophy Buggy 3.5 Speed Test

Thanks

I decided to do a remake of my Losi Micro-T Stock Battery Speed Test Video. I wanted to redo it because in the first video I could get a reading.

I tried a few different things in this video like

Having the speed gun lower to the ground
    Diving stright for the speed gun

Losi Micro-T Stock Battery Speed Test Revisited

Hope you Like

Please comment or subscribe

Thanks

I think that is is the best speed I could get would with stock battery

Advertisement