Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something in the sky?

Options
  • 02-03-2011 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see anything unusal in the sky tonight? must have been a very big meteor or something, it had a lagre trail behind it and was moving at some pace

I was driving at around 8pm when my son spotted it, only got a glimpse of it as it disappeared behind woodland...it was traveling across the sky as opposed to falling.

Oughterard area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I think this may be what you saw? Pretty cool

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056193797

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Sweet!..I was ripping I only saw it for a few seconds:mad:

but another fly over at 7.30pm 2morow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

I don't think it was the ISS. The ISS was travelling quite high in the sky at 7.53ish pm so it wouldn't disappear behind trees unless you are under them. It also went into the earths shadow at the highest point in the sky. It also doesn't have a trail behind it. It just looks like a very bright star travelling quite fast. More than likely it was a meteor. I think you can go on to Astronomy Ireland and report these sightings.

According to Heavens-Above the next visable fly over is around 6.44pm this eve. Quite bright and lasting around 5mins. It will pass over again around 8.20pm. Not as bright and only lasting around 2 mins. The first pass should be quite impressive weather permitting

aido76 wrote: »
    I don't think it was the ISS. The ISS was travelling quite high in the sky at 7.53ish pm so it wouldn't disappear behind trees unless you are under them. It also went into the earths shadow at the highest point in the sky. It also doesn't have a trail behind it. It just looks like a very bright star travelling quite fast. More than likely it was a meteor. I think you can go on to Astronomy Ireland and report these sightings.

According to Heavens-Above the next visable fly over is around 6.44pm this eve. Quite bright and lasting around 5mins. It will pass over again around 8.20pm. Not as bright and only lasting around 2 mins. The first pass should be quite impressive weather permitting
    I'm no expert and my earlier post was only a suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Maybe this is what you saw? Hope the link works!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056196169

• Advertisement

I was in Ballybrit this evening and i saw something in the sky at around 6.50.
    Not 100% on the exact time.
    To me the object looked orange and had a very faint glow around it.
    It seemed to be travelling upwards and then just disappeared.
    Maybe i'm losing my marbles at the end of a long day?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Fíanna Fáil escape pod, returning to the mothership of extra-terrestrial lizard overlords. :D

Advertisement