Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Stolen in Carbon Nightclub (01/03/11)

Options
  • 02-03-2011 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Just posting this on the off chance anyone might have some info. I had my phone robbed lastnight wile I was in Carbon (aka GPO) nightclub (I know, my mistake - first time there in about 3 years) :(. Anyway details are as follows:

Make & Model: Samsung Galaxy S i9000
    Date: 01/03/11
    Time: 12:20-12:40am

Would really appreciate if anyone has any information. I'd be more concerned about getting back the data on the memory card really (photos & videos). The phone itself was insured so will hopefully be fully covered for theft (fingers crossed). Was devastated when I realised it was gone and spent a good while searching for it with no luck. I had a GPS locater installed on the device but it was unable to find a trace when the phone was indoors. It was later powered off so I couldn't track it.

Before anyone asks, the phone has been reported missing and has had the IMEI blocked so it's basically bricked at present so wouldn't be of any use to anyone.

Would really appreciate any information. Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

you should have waited until you could pin down the locations before black listing the IMEI. I'd say its in a bin at this stage, unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

how was it stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

My son's phone was stolen in a Galway nightclub last year. I sent a text to his phone appealing for it to be returned. The person dropped it back the following night to the club and said he didnt know what came over him the previous night and apologised!! Always worth a try!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

By the sounds of it the phone wasnt stolen, it may have been droped. Have you went beack into Carbon during the day/befor they open at night and ask if anything was handed into the L&F?

Like from the post it does sound slanderish with him saying his fault for going to the place etc etc. This place is a new company with new staff and wants to rebrand its name/image and I just feel that its hard when stuff like this appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Columc wrote: »
    By the sounds of it the phone wasnt stolen, it may have been droped. Have you went beack into Carbon during the day/befor they open at night and ask if anything was handed into the L&F?

Like from the post it does sound slanderish with him saying his fault for going to the place etc etc. This place is a new company with new staff and wants to rebrand its name/image and I just feel that its hard when stuff like this appears.

Hey thanks for the replies. Sorry, didn't mean to be slandering the place either, just had a poorer reputation in the past, I'm sure that's changed. Apologies again if I offended anyone there :) This being boards I had just expected some remarks about my choice of club. :pac:

I did go back in the next day to check if anything had been dropped into the office. I also checked on the night. No luck :(

With regards to the question about how it was stolen, I would say it could potentially have been taken from my jacket pocket (possibly!!!) as I queued for the cloakroom or while in the club. There was a very short timeframe in which the phone disappeared and I'm very careful with it. Not saying it couldn't have dropped etc, but theft seemed to be the most likely scenario.

It was also powered off soon afterwards and there was no reply to calls or texts.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    you should have waited until you could pin down the locations before black listing the IMEI. I'd say its in a bin at this stage, unfortunately...

Just wondering how I could have pinpointed a location though. I was required to report the phone lost/stolen with 48 hours. Also the phone had been switched off at approx 2am. Therefore, any attempt to contact it wouldn't have worked. Even if it was powered on the next day, the person wouldn't have a PIN for my Sim card unless they attempted to use their own Meteor Sim.

[EDIT] Also I can unblock the phone by calling Meteor again and providing them with a password. The reason it was blacklisted was to prevent access to the device and prevent it potentially being sold as a working phone to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

friendface wrote: »
    Just wondering how I could have pinpointed a location though. I was required to report the phone lost/stolen with 48 hours. Also the phone had been switched off at approx 2am. Therefore, any attempt to contact it wouldn't have worked. Even if it was powered on the next day, the person wouldn't have a PIN for my Sim card unless they attempted to use their own Meteor Sim.

[EDIT] Also I can unblock the phone by calling Meteor again and providing them with a password. The reason it was blacklisted was to prevent access to the device and prevent it potentially being sold as a working phone to someone else.
    Sim lock is pointless. It's counter productive. If someone steals your phone they aren't going to use your sim, but if a nice person finds your phone, it's off, they charge it up, turn it on, try to get call you, contacts stored on sim, they can't then. Although, who still stores contacts on the SIM?

rivalius13 wrote: »
    Sim lock is pointless. It's counter productive. If someone steals your phone they aren't going to use your sim, but if a nice person finds your phone, it's off, they charge it up, turn it on, try to get call you, contacts stored on sim, they can't then. Although, who still stores contacts on the SIM?

I know. It seems the only possibility is for someone to return it to the nightclub and have them call me (I left my name and number with them). I see what you're saying about locking the SIM. I generally leave a PIN on my Sims though as I never saw a reason to remove it (until now :) )

The contacts would have been stored on the phone memory anyway but by blacklisting the IMEI, there is no way for the phone to be powered on (so I'm told). The problem is, I couldn't really wait in reporting the phone missing as it may have jeopardized my insurance claim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

with the imei black listed the phone will power on, but it won't connect to a network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Seaneh wrote: »
    with the imei black listed the phone will power on, but it won't connect to a network.

wont connect to a network in IRELAND afaik,can be used abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

You may as well say bye to that phone now. Disabling it so soon was a bad move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Aoifelindsay11

The same thing happend to me on thursday night it was a brand new iphone4 i went down and told them what happend they said there was no cameras on the cloak room, i checked my bag before i but my bag in the cloak room and it was gone, my sister rang my phone at 10 passed 12, i handed it in at like 11.45 so i reckon the 1 on the cloak room took it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The same thing happend to me on thursday night it was a brand new iphone4 i went down and told them what happend they said there was no cameras on the cloak room, i checked my bag before i but my bag in the cloak room and it was gone, my sister rang my phone at 10 passed 12, i handed it in at like 11.45 so i reckon the 1 on the cloak room took it.

You checked your bag before you put it in the cloak room and it was gone, so you reckon the person working the cloakroom took it...?

Ya it was in the zip compartment in my bag and it was gone when i left.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

So you've just created a login, found a thread from the beginning of the year and accused 'the 1 on the cloak room' of taking a phone that wasn't in your bag when you handed it in?

GTFO:rolleyes:

No it was in my bag when i handed it in to the cloak room

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

skepticalHippo.jpg

Sincerest apologies. You can see how
    i checked my bag before i but my bag in the cloak room and it was gone
    might cause some confusion, I'm sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I think we know what she means. She handed the jacket or whatever in, with the phone in it. When she got it back, phone gone.

Samich wrote: »
    I think we know what she means. She handed the jacket or whatever in, with the phone in it. When she got it back, phone gone.
    Well, I don't know - if someone can't explain intelligibly how they suspect their phone was stolen, then I'm less inclined to believe that they didn't just lose it while drunk or somesuch. I'd no issue believing friendface though. Completely unjustified, granted, but it's strange, innit?

And it was a bag, not a jacket. The waters are muddied enough as it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Dont think the '1' in the clockroom will be too happy to see the you coming next time (assuming she didnt steal it) if she happens to read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

You do know that when you put something a cloakroom, they're not responsible for any loss. It's YOUR fault for putting YOUR 'new' phone into the cloakroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Never leave anything in a coat-room in a Galway nightclub. Rarely hear good endings to those stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you value something then handing it over to strangers is probably not a good idea.

No need to bring back an old thread to accuse someone that maybe/probably/didn't take it.

If you haven't already, go to the Garda.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement