Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 95 98 gaming

• 02-03-2011 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm looking for a way to play some of my older games (mainly win 95,98 compatible) on my current setup with xp.

Now before anybody goes and tells me to try compatibility mode that doesn't work for nearly all my games!

Nuclear Strike, Carmageddon 2 and Populous 3 are all games i'm trying to get going

Anybody here use any tricks to get games working? I'm thinking of putting a copy of windows 7 on my machine, and may do a 10gig partition for 98 if theres no other solution, but really dont want to go down that road...

Any help is of course much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

dosbox,can be bit tricky set up but guides found.

Another popular method is to get a win 98 era lappy which go fairly cheap on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

ya i'm thinking of getting a cheap, good win98 computer as plan c!

i thought dosbox was only for much older dos based games, so ill look into that

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yeah, a virtual machine would probably run those games fine. I use Virtualbox and have a load of different operating systems setup on that, including Windows 98 SE. I run them all on my Windows 7 64bit system.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Dosbox is probably your best bet (although I've often been tempted to buy a Pentium 200 with a voodoo2 and old 14" crt for that proper oldschool game feeling.
    GoG.com legally sell repackaged old games designed to work with new Os's, so it they're a good place for digitally downloading games if you dont fancy faffing about .(and they're pretty cheap 3-5 dollars per game so its good value)

Advertisement