Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Ideas : What does City need ?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

dayshah wrote: »
    We need underground car parking in central locations. (It would need a big investment).

Also, make use of the river. Was there once a river boat restaurant that went up and down to New Ross or Passage and you had your dinner on board?

Maybe some river tours for the tourists on a boat?

I also think O Riain's hostel idea is a really good idea.
    river tours about what though?

seen a guy going for a swim in the river, ( in his speedos) coming across the bridge the other day... thought it was strange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

emo!! wrote: »

seen a guy going for a swim in the river, ( in his speedos) coming across the bridge the other day... thought it was strange!

It looks pretty up towards Mt Congreve. Tourists would love it. Combine it with the restaurant too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

emo!! wrote: »

As Dayshah said the area up by Mt Congrave is very pretty, tourists would love it. Thikn the idea of river tours would be lovely actually. I actually remember that boat that used to do that, think it was called 'Galley tours', Boat looked a bit worse for wear in the end but as far as i know it did well in its heyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Maybe some sort of multi-day cruise, along the Suir, Nore and Barrow. Eg stay one night in Waterford, one in Kilkenny. How long would it take to travel between the two by boat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

dayshah wrote: »
    Maybe some sort of multi-day cruise, along the Suir, Nore and Barrow. Eg stay one night in Waterford, one in Kilkenny. How long would it take to travel between the two by boat?

Couldn't take that long surely. Would it be a few hours? Could have a meal on board. I think you could sell it fairly well on the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I don't think it would really matter who you email, whether its the Council, Failte Ireland or whoever, they cannot setup a hostel. It's really up to someone with money to set one up and run it as a business. Unless maybe the Council or Failte Ireland might know various hostel owners in other areas and could ask them to consider setting up a hostel in Waterford.

Of course I realist the first step in fixing any problem is recognising there is a problem. I'm sure they could try and influence someone or highlight the Market to, as you said, another hostel owner. What is the possibility of them offering some incentive to an owner of a building to start a hostel??? One of the most short sited things ever done, changing the use of the Viking house. Typical Waterford stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

River tour in conjunction with the extended Suir Valley railway. From town on the train to Mt Congreve; return via boat back to the Quay (and alternate route the other way) and a look around the Crystal centre / Tower + any museums all on a combined ticket for the day. Every visitor can relax, no hidden extras, take your time - everything made easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

O Riain wrote: »
    as far as i know its more b and b type stuff and its out of the centre. if someone doesnt open a hostel I feckin will! but really though, who could i email in order to highlight the importance of this?

i thought some german hostel company bought the homeless hostel in lady lane and were converting it into a tourist hostel? there was somethin about that a while back cause theyre buildin a new homeless hostel somewhere else in town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

anplaya wrote: »
    i thought some german hostel company bought the homeless hostel in lady lane and were converting it into a tourist hostel? there was somethin about that a while back cause theyre buildin a new homeless hostel somewhere else in town

Would be handy it's a great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 savina10

Bring back a train along the Atlantic corridor, link Cork, Midleton, Youghal, Dungarvan and Waterford (any chance the river could be diverted a little). Shame to deprive people of the beauty.
    Waterford needs its version of the Bertie Bowl. Leisure and recreation is where Waterford is at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Some really good ideas there
    A Toll bridge from Ferrybank to the Tower is i think a great idea, incorporate it into a 5k walk or something ? Also i think people from Ferrybank would use it big time to come into town....think of the traffic it would ease ...good one

River Cruise....Great
    Anyone remember the Crystal Cruise in the 80's ? He had the edge in that because of a loophole he could open the bar at 11am on Sunday morning, and Gino Hearn would be strumming away, it was great and could easily be developed into having meals or parties and occasions...definitely a runner i think.

Cathedral Square for Restaraunts....The problem with this one is that Restaurants are expensive these days and won't pull in punters because of their location...But i do agree that Cathedral Square could be utilised more.

A hostel is a great idea also but would need a theme or an edge to get people to come here....Viking Nights maybe , get pishd drinking from cowhorns in Reggies Tower ? (another underused resource)

Tourist Reps...Great Idea, Easily Recognisable and able to tell the tourists what the literature doesn't....Sad to see all the drenched tourists walking around lost and taking photo's of Reggies Tower and too scared to know where to go for a good night out........"Hi folks how are you , what do you feel like doing tonight ? A good meal here , a good pint there"....a good experience will get them to spend more and stay longer....By far our most underused asset is our friendliness and gift of the gab and ability to give visitors a god night out.....Local Restaurants and Innkeepers isn't this worth a try ???? We are the Oldest City in Ireland and have not yet learned how to exploit this fact.

Keep em coming , surely we can stimulate some idea's for new and innovative projects.

I'm going to open a Market Research thread also ....I will explain how this works there

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Think out of the box or inside the box....whatever works

http://www.powerhomebiz.com/BizIdeas/bizideas.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    River tour in conjunction with the extended Suir Valley railway. From town on the train to Mt Congreve; return via boat back to the Quay (and alternate route the other way) and a look around the Crystal centre / Tower + any museums all on a combined ticket for the day. Every visitor can relax, no hidden extras, take your time - everything made easy.

Great idea. Any city you visit as a tourist, you can buy combination tickets that work out cheaper than the total individual cost. I never understood why Waterford haven't done that. You could have all the attractions priced individually and then customisable combinations. In Barcelona, you have this sort of thing and, as part of it, you also get coupon brochures with some decent deals for local restaurants and other attractions in the city.

We definitely need to make Waterford more tourist-friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

savina10 wrote: »
    Bring back a train along the Atlantic corridor, link Cork, Midleton, Youghal, Dungarvan and Waterford (any chance the river could be diverted a little). Shame to deprive people of the beauty.
    Waterford needs its version of the Bertie Bowl. Leisure and recreation is where Waterford is at.

It was a sin closing down the Waterford to Dungarvan Railway line, would love to see it re opened but i know it will never happen, even have a set up like what is in Kilmeaden out in Kilmac have it going over the viaduct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

O Riain wrote: »
    Of course I realist the first step in fixing any problem is recognising there is a problem. I'm sure they could try and influence someone or highlight the Market to, as you said, another hostel owner. What is the possibility of them offering some incentive to an owner of a building to start a hostel??? One of the most short sited things ever done, changing the use of the Viking house. Typical Waterford stuff.
    I don't know what kind of incentive they could offer. I don't think it's possible to do a rates based incentive anyway (something to do with competition law). They could surely do something though, like free/discounted advertising and promotion of the hostel. I know a few people you could email and I have their email addresses if you want to contact them? Let me know and I will PM them to you.

What's the Viking house?

Advertisement