Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you have lived in a paranormal/haunted house, how do you find it?

Options
  • 02-03-2011 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I am alright sometimes but I get distressed othertimes. It is OK knowing there are these going-ons in the house, but it is worrying sometimes. For example I had a dream last night about shadow people, and when I woke up I didn't want to be in my room.

Or for example, I live with my girlfriend ATM. If she is in the house everything is cool (she feels the same for me) but if I am the only person in the house I get edgy going upstairs, plus I don't look in the windows when out the back. Or if i'm upstairs by myself I sometimes close all the other doors so only the hallway is there. It definitely puts me on my toes sometimes. Before when I lived by myself I would have to leave the house sometimes.

How do you feel with these experiences?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I spent all my formative years feeling scared and edgy at home, as well as in all kinds of other places, so I understand.

But Ive mentioned to you before, the path to coping is not changing your surroundings, but changing yourself, and your attitude towards the things you are aware of. You need to ground, you need to not let your awareness be such a distraction. The place where I live now is built on an old ruined farmstead, I could drive myself to distraction picking up on echoes from this place, but I choose not to.

Its like learning to live next to a main road or a building site. You have to learn to tune out the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Didn't you say before that these things happened no matter where you were CorkMan? So technically you don't live in a haunted house; you would be what's haunted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

GodlessM wrote: »
    Didn't you say before that these things happened no matter where you were CorkMan? So technically you don't live in a haunted house; you would be what's haunted.

Please stop posting off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

Couldn't agree more with Oryx.. you need to learn tp drown it out.

Personally, I wouldn't be without the ones in my house, im so used to them now, if they left they would actually be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

CorkMan wrote: »
    Please stop posting off topic.

It's not off-topic; it's about living in a haunted house, just not the view you wanted to hear. If it was off-topic a mod would have called me on it days ago (and I will heed it should one call me on it). Ironically your post which I have quoted above is more off-topic than my previous one (and I've noticed you've developed a trend of trying to back-seat mod too).

I'm going to just add you to my ignore list and be done with this, because you're constantly whiney "why won't you play the game how I want to" type posts have gone from amusing to iritating at this point. And just as a lesson, now I'm being off-topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 newnobody

i know how u feel the other night i had a vivid dream about my husbands grandmother shes been dead a few years, it was a very vivid dream in the middle of it i was woke to screaming from my daughters room, she is 4, she told me somone touched her on the head, she was terrified. this is regular enough occurance. our house is never in darkness light on in every room at night, nothing extremly bad happens us just little reminders that we share this house. it belonged to family members and its an old house.

GodlessM wrote: »
    It's not off-topic; it's about living in a haunted house, just not the view you wanted to hear. If it was off-topic a mod would have called me on it days ago (and I will heed it should one call me on it). Ironically your post which I have quoted above is more off-topic than my previous one (and I've noticed you've developed a trend of trying to back-seat mod too).

I'm going to just add you to my ignore list and be done with this, because you're constantly whiney "why won't you play the game how I want to" type posts have gone from amusing to iritating at this point. And just as a lesson, now I'm being off-topic.

Please read the thread title, then read your first post. The thread asked for you to give your experience, but instead you gave a question.

CorkMan, the point GodlessM made is a valid one. When it comes to people (not just you) who are sensitive, they will pick up stuff from places that may not have a rep for being haunted. As far as the theory goes, anywhere people have lived or died will hold an echo of those lives which can be felt by a senstive person. You dont have to seek out a spooky building to experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Just out of curiosity, CorkMan, can I ask you the general area in which your house is located?

I've heard a few stories about houses in Sunday's Well and on the Douglas road (along where St. Finbarr's Hospital is).

I don't think I've ever been in a 'haunted' house in my life. I used to work in an old folks home when I was 15-18 though and the place used to make my skin crawl (not because of all the senile geriatrics - I didn't/don't have anything against them).

There was an old wing that had been built in the '50s and a then-brand-new wing and, predictably, it was the old wing I used to hate. I was often upstairs on my own cleaning out the rooms down these endless hallways and I constantly had the feeling of being watched every single time. I could up there for about three hours at a time Saturday after Saturday and I could never shake the feeling. I suppose that's the case in any place where people have died over the years though. I thought it was just me until I was out having a smoke with the Filipino nurses one day and they mentioned it.

Eventually the old wing was shut down because it failed to meet the health board regulations and standards. Maybe I should have dusted the place better! pacman.gif

Now, I'm not averse in the least about being left to my own devices in buildings - I was working in a farm most Sundays around the same time then and I'd often be out in the sheds by myself and it was no bother to me.

CorkMan, I suppose if whatever's hanging around is irking you so much, you could always just tell it/them to feck off.

About the feeling of being watched. I could get it, but if I had to bend over awkwardly suddenly to pick something off the floor I would see something out of the corner of my eye.

This is not just a black shadow or anything, this is a full complexion of a human. Like I dropped a PS3 controller before and had to pick it up. When I had my head to the floor I could have swore I saw a girl in her 20's starting directly at me, around 2 feet away. Only for half a second till I got up.

• Advertisement

CorkMan wrote: »
    About the feeling of being watched. I could get it, but if I had to bend over awkwardly suddenly to pick something off the floor I would see something out of the corner of my eye.

This is not just a black shadow or anything, this is a full complexion of a human. Like I dropped a PS3 controller before and had to pick it up. When I had my head to the floor I could have swore I saw a girl in her 20's staring directly at me, around 2 feet away. Only for half a second till I got up.

Oh f**k, that's freaky. Would you ever think of bringing in a medium to sort out the house? I'm sorry to be mentioning him again now, but Peter Matthew does house clearings. I think he's based in Fairhill but he travels. His number is at the bottom of this page: http://www.petermatthew.net/

It'd be worth a try anyway instead of having to put up with that sh*t any longer. If Matthew does/doesn't sort it out for you, post it up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Well this certainly explains alot.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Well this certainly explains alot.

Which is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

corkman

you DID say that no matter where you live you are "haunted" so I don't think there is actually a problem with the houses you occupy.

to be honest, I think people take your posts now with a pinch of salt, because you are not really open minded about natural occurences - everything has to be a haunting where you are concerned. Did you ever hear about the boy who cried wolf.

no offence, but you do protest too much. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

The house I live in has had many strange occurances due mainly to an item in the house which a few people on boards have looked at, the item has been removed from the house and everything went quite but it has started again bit by bit about a year or so after the item was removed from the house. There are complete skeptics that live in the house and have heard talking and footsteps upstairs while alone in the house and other stuff.

Everyone has gotten used to it and we've never had a medium or priet in to bless and nothing bad has happened and have no reason to suspect it will.

You learn to live with what ever it is that is going on be it in our heads or ghostly.

corkman

you DID say that no matter where you live you are "haunted" so I don't think there is actually a problem with the houses you occupy.

to be honest, I think people take your posts now with a pinch of salt, because you are not really open minded about natural occurences - everything has to be a haunting where you are concerned. Did you ever hear about the boy who cried wolf.

no offence, but you do protest too much. :D

TBH if you heard clear external noises happening you'd be freaked out. A couple of days ago I heard a bang on the wall three times in the bedroom across the hallway. It was definitely the wall inside the bedroom, not on the other side.

Even my cousin who stayed 2 weeks with me earlier in the year said he noticed some unusual things. The thing about a boy cried wolf, in my other thread I said the drawers banged and the washing machine door seemed to get kicked. I heard them outside my head, and got apprehensive when they occured. I cannot find a single natural explanation, how force could cause those phenomenon. I wouldn't even sleep up there sometimes if my girlfriend wasn't with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Ziycon wrote: »
    The house I live in has had many strange occurances due mainly to an item in the house which a few people on boards have looked at, the item has been removed from the house and everything went quite but it has started again bit by bit about a year or so after the item was removed from the house. There are complete skeptics that live in the house and have heard talking and footsteps upstairs while alone in the house and other stuff.

Everyone has gotten used to it and we've never had a medium or priet in to bless and nothing bad has happened and have no reason to suspect it will.

You learn to live with what ever it is that is going on be it in our heads or ghostly.
    You would be simply amazed at the amount of skeptic accounts of people who have had poltergeist activity, apparation activity and noise activity. Changed the belief system for ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Grilled Cheesus

girlfriends grandparents house is haunted, big old building. I hate it, thankfully never had to stay the night. She said her and her cousins used to hear crazy stuff at night when they'd stay there- wake up and see someone in their room. Loads of stuff moves around there too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭VictoriaC

We bought our dream house only to discover it was haunted - we were out of there within 6 weeks. Yes a full mortgage - first time house for us both, we were so excited, so happy and within that time period our lives were shattered and dreams destroyed.

The feeling was Evil, dark and nasty. We tried everyting - getting the house blessed, using the right candles/fragrances, crystals etc, getting in a medium... but it just seemed to make it all worse.

Seeing another face looking back at me in the mirror finished it off for me - until then I hadnt actually seen anything - altho my Hubby had - I just didnt want to believe it!

I had only heard things which I blamed on everything else, even tho the bedroom door locked itself with the key from the inside - while I was outside the door - I still blamed it on "faulty locks" (I was on my own when this happened so no one else did it).
    My little teddy bears constantly being moved around ..... all the signs were there but I just didn't want to believe it...

Seeing is belieiving hey...

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

My bedroom in Drogheda was haunted. I would be asleep and id wake up to my leg being dragged out of the bed. It happened for a good while. Some nights more than others. Eventually i had the guts just to tell the thing to feck off that i didnt think it was funny and it stops.

My mam also had an experience in her house. She said she was asleep and suddenly she woke up and there was a man beside her bed who touched her hand. she said he was ice cold wearing something similar to a monks outfit with the hood up. She said he let go and walked back out of her room.

I also had another experience, i was sitting in my living room quite late one night watching tv and i had just finished packet of crisp that i put down beside me. next of all the bag started shaking. Dont think i moved so fast in my life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

no such thing lads. its all bollix. and no im not trolling i just dont believe in it. and thers no evidence 4 it. op can u give us examples of paranormal activity

what was the item??????

Shane St. wrote: »
    no such thing lads. its all bollix. and no im not trolling i just dont believe in it. and thers no evidence 4 it. op can u give us examples of paranormal activity
    Shane, please read the charter and respect the input of others who post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Ruth KPS wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more with Oryx.. you need to learn tp drown it out.

Personally, I wouldn't be without the ones in my house, im so used to them now, if they left they would actually be missed.
    iv had spirits around me all my life but iv studied a lot about the paranormal and iv learned to control it you shouldent worry about any spirits in your house if they arent doing anyone any harm:)

i live on the inchicore rd right opposite kilmainham gaol and i constantly see things passing by and dissappering sometimes slowly and sometimes fast nothing to do with gaol itself but on the road i sit in front of the window when im on my computer iv allready seen a few things tonight but it's usually in the early hours of the morning around 3am onward but im used to seeing spirits all my life i find it all interesting:):eek:

is that soooo now well i know it not all bollix evidence or not stop trying to be the big fella and have respect for others and no i dont care wheather you belive or not:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

yeah its all bollox because you dont believe in it. that makes sooo much sense.

These threads always end up going the same route.

Someone starts off saying that they had a spooky experience of some sort - which is valid to them at the very least - and, before long, you get helpful, fresh input that flowered in the sage minds of people who remind us - in case we forgot, like - that it's all a load of bollix.

I'm not suggesting that every story related on here is 'real' - sure how the f uck would I know? - but I don't think it's any harm to try to understand something from different angles and acquire more information from the OP. It makes for more interesting reading (to me) anyway.

People of the 'bollix' persuasion may as well just take their tents and erect them over in the Skeptics Corner patch instead.

Guys, if someone posts something out of line, report the post instead of dragging the thread off topic. Ive already dealt with this above, so back on topic please.

• Advertisement

sorry guys I probably came across as a pig headed fool in an earlier post. I am still fascinated by this stuff/
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3496768/Poltergeist-wrecks-house-in-Coventry-and-kills-the-dog.html
    what u thin of that. cud be an umbrella moving the stool tho

Advertisement