Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you have lived in a paranormal/haunted house, how do you find it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Shane St. wrote: »
    sorry guys I probably came across as a pig headed fool in an earlier post. I am still fascinated by this stuff/
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3496768/Poltergeist-wrecks-house-in-Coventry-and-kills-the-dog.html
    what u thin of that. cud be an umbrella moving the stool tho
    Cant watch the vids cos my broadband is a bit last century.

But in cases like this my first thought is..
    Lisa has asked her housing association to be moved
    ..she just wants a new house.

That is cynical I know, but (as heard on the radio this morning) why is it always council houses that get these poltergiests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

But based on past experience, who was successfull in getting a new house? There is a place in Cork that claims to be haunted, it even had the City Council Manager there, the radio station there regularly and it was on RTE news one night.

But the people still haven't got a new place. They had to move out in the end. It would not be a good impetus for people to claim paranormal activity for reason to get a new place. Though I am skeptical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

CorkMan wrote: »
    But based on past experience, who was successfull in getting a new house? There is a place in Cork that claims to be haunted, it even had the City Council Manager there, the radio station there regularly and it was on RTE news one night.

But the people still haven't got a new place. They had to move out in the end. It would not be a good impetus for people to claim paranormal activity for reason to get a new place. Though I am skeptical.
    1) What do you mean "based on past experience"? Whose "experience" is it based on?
    2) What evidence did the CC manager, radio station and RTE find?
    3) If the people didn't get a new place, where did they move to ????

1) A couple in a council house with a child.
    2) They didn't report on results, just the happenings. Though supposedly some unofficial mediums when to the house and experienced some happenings.
    3) The couple are living at their parents (not sure if the mans or womens parents), though they never gave up the house. They are all in 1 room and have been out of the house for 8+ months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

1) A couple in a council house with a child.
    2) They didn't report on results, just the happenings. Though supposedly some unofficial mediums when to the house and experienced some happenings.
    3) The couple are living at their parents (not sure if the mans or womens parents), though they never gave up the house. They are all in 1 room and have been out of the house for 8+ months.

and that somehow proves the place is haunted? I dont understand that logic tbh.

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    and that somehow proves the place is haunted? I dont understand that logic tbh.

I never said it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Here’s an interesting excerpt concerning the ‘haunted house’ in Cork from Darren Mann’s great book ‘Haunted Cork’. It sums it all up nicely and it’s fitting, considering it’s been around a year now since the story first broke...

The story of the alleged haunted house in Cork’s Hollywood Estate was catapulted into the paranormal spotlight in March 2010. Originally carried by the local media, the story quickly spread around the world on the web.

Number 18 Hollywood Estate is a council house, typical of the properties on Cork’s Northside. It had lain empty for two years before it became the home of Laura Burke, her son Kyle and Laura’s fiance Richie Hewitt.

The family reported that nothing untoward occurred in the house until early in 2010, when Laura fell pregnant. As is the case with many documented poltergeist stories, the family started to notice slightly out-of-the-ordinary events; keys and other small items would disappear and turn up somewhere else, clothing would be moved and taps would be turned on and left to fill up the sink.

As time progressed, the activity became more frequent and increased in intensity. Glowing balls of light manifested in a few of the rooms, and furniture would levitate before dropping back to the floor. Visitors to the home also witnessed strange occurrences. It was reported that previous occupant Adrian Payton, who formerly lived at the house for twenty-six years without incident, watched a kitchen drawer open and a table lift slowly off the ground.

During a television interview (with TV3), Laura described some of the events, 'Chairs lifting, moving... black shadows... horrible smells ... I wouldn’t wish this place on nobody, nobody at all, not even on my own worst enemy...'

Richie added that, one night, after Kyle went to bed, he had glimpsed eyes staring at him through his bedroom window. He was left terrified.

After Kyle was thrown out of bed by an unseen force, the events became too much for the family to bear. Cork City Council refused Laura and Richie a housing transfer on the basis of 'it is not council policy to deal with alleged paranormal activities', and so the family moved out to stay with Laura’s mother.

Eoin English covered the story for the Irish Examiner, the paper carrying one of the more objective versions of events, and Eoin was later happy to share his thoughts concerning the haunting.

"Although initially very sceptical, I arrived at the house and tried to approach the story with an open mind. And the more I spoke to the couple, the more I began to wonder just why would they make something like this up?

As a result of their claim, they refused to stay in the house, opting instead to sleep on the floor in a relation’s home – surely an arrangement that was far from ideal as Laura was pregnant at the time. They had independent witnesses too – including the former owner of the house who never experienced anything like this when he lived there, but only when he returned to visit the young couple and offer help.

But I saw no evidence of anything unusual, apart from a grainy photograph of a ball of light hovering above their kitchen table, and certainly saw no direct evidence myself of anything unusual or paranormal occurring in the house.

One of the most disturbing aspects of this case was the arrival at the house, unannounced and uninvited, of two gentlemen, who claimed to be clairvoyants (English or Mann don’t name them, but I know for a fact they were John O’Reilly and feckin’ Tom Flynn). They offered to cleanse the house of ‘evil spirits’ and proceeded around various rooms, waving their hands and rolling their eyes, and making ridiculous claims about sensing this, and sensing that.

Their performance culminated in a farcical scene whereby one guy tried to distract the people in the room, while the other bent over and tried to untie his shoe lace unnoticed before standing up straight again and suggesting that it was a spirit who had opened the lace (O’Reilly also had the gall to claim this afterwards on the phone to Prendeville). They were kicked out fairly quickly after that.”

Eoin also spoke of Laura, saying that while her claims seemed completely fantastical, ‘she came across as a very calm, sensible person who had been through a very traumatic experience. She seemed utterly convinced and genuinely terrified that something unusual was occurring in her home’.

Cork’s 96 FM also had a strong interest in the case, and invited paranormal veteran Paul O’Halloran (I saw him speak at last year’s World Ghost Convention – sound bloke) to the house. Paul is a seasoned spiritualist, having over twenty years’ experience of shamanic healing, house clearing and land healing. After visiting the site, Paul said, 'I discovered that there were spirits of children from unmarked graves, around twenty to twenty-five children. There was a highwayman from the sixteenth century and there were also people from the famine who were around the area. There was also very heavy, dark energy like a curse on the place.' Paul was unsure why the activity started when it did, but observed that Laura was pregnant, saying that sometimes 'mother energy can attract children spirits who are trapped'.

Paul reported that he had seen this level of activity before in other properties, but the fear displayed by Laura and Richie was particularly memorable. After identifying the problem, Paul used his skills to engage the spirits. 'I dealt with (the situation) through opening the sacred space and working through the shamanic medicine wheel, drumming and prayers and mantras for releasing the trapped spirits', Paul said.

Although Paul had claimed success, the family refused to move back to their home.

The story divided the local estate. Eoin (English) reported that the majority of the neighbours believed the family were telling the truth, having experienced paranormal events first-hand. Other local families were more suspicious of Laura and Richie’s motivation, saying that they just wanted the local authorities to give them a new house. Neighbours were also upset at the amount of attention the road attracted. Hundreds of visitors flocked to the area to view the haunted house and the Gardai were called in to control the flow of traffic. Groups of teenagers took to sitting and drinking outside the house late at night waiting to ‘see something’. After the family moved out, stones were thrown at the house and windows were smashed; the house was finally boarded up and left empty.

Unless outright fraud is admitted, what really happened to the family and their home will always be the subject of intense debate, and as I write 18 Hollywood Estate remains locked up and empty.

AFAIK, that’s still the case at the moment. Wasn’t there a similar-ish case concerning a family on an estate in Galway back in 1997? One of the girls in the house had just had a baby and some weird occurrences kicked off. I think they called in some medium named Sandra Ramhandie (can’t spell it), and I think the story even made the RTE News as well, lol. Correct me if I'm wrong. I must look that up again...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I seem to remember that lady used to post here, back in the day.

Oryx wrote: »
    I seem to remember that lady used to post here, back in the day.

Really? Funny old world.

Right, I found this article about her and that alleged haunted house in Galway. They said the story was turned into a screenplay. :confused:

It wouldn't have been the inspiration for 'Paranormal Activity' now, would it?!
    TOP showbiz psychic Sandra Ramdhanie is planning to turn one of her real-life ghostbusting encounters into a movie.

Sandra, who has worked with RTE shock jock Gerry Ryan to get rid of unwanted spirits, was called in to see off a spook that even a bishop failed to banish.

Now she's putting the final touches to a film script which tells the terrifying story of the haunting of Jackie and Ester Fahy's 19- month-old grandaughter in their Corrib Park home.

"The Galway baby ghost story is now a movie screenplay, and there's interest from Hollywood," said Sandra.

The poltergeist plagued the family's council home for eight months, and seemed especially attracted to their granddaughter, Sarah Louise. Photos were damaged, a jug was hurled across the landing and smashed against a door, toys moved without being touched, the toilet flushed on its own, and a picture went flying off the mantelpiece.

In desperation, the family asked their bishop to arrange an exorcism ceremony and a Mass to be said in the house, but after a curate called, the haunting got worse. As a last resort, Jackie, 48, and Ester, 45, called in Ireland's leading psychic ghostbuster, Sandra, who has featured on Gerry Ryan's radio show.

Sandra organised a special ritual to protect toddler Sarah, who she believed the ghost was latching on to. She says the spook, which departed after her intervention, was the baby of a long- dead nun whose father was a priest.

Sandra says: "I'm afraid the Church does not come out well in the Galway baby ghost story.

The rest of the article: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_19980426/ai_n14477186/

"Ireland's leading psychic ghostbuster". What a creative journalist. :-)

MrMojo, have you read the book "Haunted Cork"?

• Advertisement

I have, yeah. I've been taking it around in my 'man bag' for the last fortnight or so. I read bits here and there. That's the beauty of it - you can just dip in and out of it, instead of having to read it all uniformly from start to finish (don't have time for that ATM). I don't mean to be plugging it shamelessly, or anything, but it just so happens that a lot of the content is relevant to this forum's topics.

I don't want to be sued for some sort of copyright infringement either. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

Things here appears to be crossing censure levels...

@thread starter I think if you will consult some spiritual medium near your place, you can find better advice. Otherwise you won't get the clear picture whether it is house, you or anything else is haunted in particular. And please don' take things otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

i live on the inchicore rd right opposite kilmainham gaol and i constantly see things passing by and dissappering sometimes slowly and sometimes fast nothing to do with gaol itself but on the road i sit in front of the window when im on my computer iv allready seen a few things tonight but it's usually in the early hours of the morning around 3am onward but im used to seeing spirits all my life i find it all interesting:):eek:

was in the Gaol yesterday and got seriously creeped out

My Grandparents house is haunted, nothing major just footsteps and the odd door banging

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Where can I buy that book in cork?waterstones?vibes and scribes?

http://thehistorypress.ie/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=&P_ID=516

Yeah, no bookshops have it. :confused:

It's available to buy on Amazon too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haunted-Cork-Darren-Mann/dp/1845886941/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303128787&sr=1-1

shouldnt it be in easons? History Press apparently supply them

http://www.eason.ie/books/9781845886943 - Im sure they have it in store as well

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'll get it off amazon,its cheaper.

shouldnt it be in easons? History Press apparently supply them

I checked the Easons in O'Connell Street, Patrick Street in Cork, the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and the Drogheda Town Centre and I couldn't see the book anywhere. I was just around, like, so I said I'd have a look. I approached a sales assistant in the Drogheda outlet and she checked the system just to be sure and, no, they didn't have it.

So if someone finds the book in Easons anytime soon, I'd be interested to know!

But, yeah, it is cheaper (and more hassle-free) to just order it off Amazon instead.

• Advertisement

Ordered Haunted Cork and have read a couple of pages so far.

Got it through Amazon BTW, I find them very reliable. Ordered on the Friday and it arrived on Tuesday morning.

Ordered Haunted Cork and have read a couple of pages so far.

Got it through Amazon BTW, I find them very reliable. Ordered on the Friday and it arrived on Tuesday morning.

Cheaper too!

Anything happen in your home lately corkman?

I checked the Easons in O'Connell Street, Patrick Street in Cork, the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and the Drogheda Town Centre and I couldn't see the book anywhere. I was just around, like, so I said I'd have a look. I approached a sales assistant in the Drogheda outlet and she checked the system just to be sure and, no, they didn't have it.

So if someone finds the book in Easons anytime soon, I'd be interested to know!

But, yeah, it is cheaper (and more hassle-free) to just order it off Amazon instead.

This is what history press says
    We do supply Easons with the physical books – they are our largest customer in fact - and they should always, in theory, have the books in stock. If they run out, they just re-order from their warehouse.

In practice, however, the people working in the shops can sometimes say it’s not on the system when it’s sold out. One of those things, but in this case, we will certainly contact Easons in Cork and make sure there is actually no issue about ordering this title.

So, yes, it should be in all the bookshops, and is definitely set-up for any bookshop in the country to be able order if they do not have stock or run out.

This is what history press says

That's grand. The onus is on the staff in these outlets to give the correct info really and to order the book if it's sold out.

Btw, it was the staff in Easons in the Drogheda Town Centre whom I approached, who checked their system - not the Easons in Cork.

Cheaper too!

Anything happen in your home lately corkman?

The usual. Though lately when i'm going to sleep at 3/4 in the morning and my Dad is asleep, I can hear creaking in the floor boards. It's the same noise as when my Dad gets out of bed and moves around, but my Dad is snoaring!

I can remember one time a couple of weeks back when the end of my foot was sticking out at the end of my bed and I felt something hit it when I was pulling it in. (That is where the vibration thingies are at most). Even weirder another time is when I was folding the bottom of my bed sheet over with my feet, my feet went about 2 feet into the air and I hit something solid. I have a feeling what these spirits/ghosts/whatever look like. Before it appearently floated into my room. It had a face, it was like the face was mist, but the face didn't seem alive. It was looking straight ahead as if it knew where it was going, but the face was just dead, it didn't have that "pierce" that a human face has when looking ahead, it didn't have the facial pattern of "i'm going ahead" but it was moving. It's "eyes" were facing straight ahead.

It appeared to be female. I have no doubt that these things have intelligence, and seem to be in the shape of humans. Even my uncle who stays here sometimes, he says he doesn't believe in ghosts most of the time. But I mentioned to him a black mist in the house, and he gave me a look as if to say "you saw it too?".

The usual. Though lately when i'm going to sleep at 3/4 in the morning and my Dad is asleep, I can hear creaking in the floor boards. It's the same noise as when my Dad gets out of bed and moves around, but my Dad is snoaring!

I can remember one time a couple of weeks back when the end of my foot was sticking out at the end of my bed and I felt something hit it when I was pulling it in. (That is where the vibration thingies are at most). Even weirder another time is when I was folding the bottom of my bed sheet over with my feet, my feet went about 2 feet into the air and I hit something solid. I have a feeling what these spirits/ghosts/whatever look like. Before it appearently floated into my room. It had a face, it was like the face was mist, but the face didn't seem alive. It was looking straight ahead as if it knew where it was going, but the face was just dead, it didn't have that "pierce" that a human face has when looking ahead, it didn't have the facial pattern of "i'm going ahead" but it was moving. It's "eyes" were facing straight ahead.

It appeared to be female. I have no doubt that these things have intelligence, and seem to be in the shape of humans. Even my uncle who stays here sometimes, he says he doesn't believe in ghosts most of the time. But I mentioned to him a black mist in the house, and he gave me a look as if to say "you saw it too?".

Didn't you say you saw a female before too,when your dropped your ps3 controller or something?

I can hear creaking in the floor boards. It's the same noise as when my Dad gets out of bed and moves around, but my Dad is snoaring!

I

But to make the floorboards creak, it must have mass or weight? Yet we are led to believe that it "floats". :confused:

Don't eat cheese before going to bed, is the best advice :)

Even my uncle who stays here sometimes, he says he doesn't believe in ghosts most of the time. But I mentioned to him a black mist in the house, and he gave me a look as if to say "you saw it too?".
    Oh come on.......he either does or he doesn't.
    "well I believe in them sometimes" :rolleyes:

Didn't you say you saw a female before too,when your dropped your ps3 controller or something?

Yes. It was for a split second out of the corner of my eye, when I picked up my PS3 controller was when my eyes were least trained to keeping an eye out on the edge of my peripheral vision.

Regards Fuzzy Clams comment, I don't know whether it floats or not all the time. It seems to have the ability to hit stuff and cause creaks but I when I said I saw it that was the only time I saw it close to clearly, right at the center of my eyesight. Other time it is in my peripheral vision for a bit. After I saw it head on I left my place for a good couple of hours. I invited my girlfriend to stay that night as I wouldn't sleep alone.

• Advertisement

In the attack of my place today, which I recently done up, I heard 3 loud bangs. My girl went was away from the place, I was the only person inside.

Before it was only a normal attic, but since it got renovated and I started using it, this only happened.

Advertisement