Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Water

Options
  • 02-03-2011 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Calling all armchair sparks out there. I have another weird problem - not sure if this is the best place for it but here goes: I have gas central heating in the house I'm renting and I have the timer to go on for an hour in the morning and two hours in the evening. Lately though I seem to have boiling hot water in the hot taps almost all the time (even late at night). The immersion hasn't been left on or anything and I'm wondering is something wrong and am I using a lot of electricity unbeknownst to myself due to some fault somewhere along the line. My last esb bill was pretty high but then they all are in Jan/Feb anyway.

Any ideas? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Sparky2009 wrote: »
    Calling all armchair sparks out there. I have another weird problem - not sure if this is the best place for it but here goes: I have gas central heating in the house I'm renting and I have the timer to go on for an hour in the morning and two hours in the evening. Lately though I seem to have boiling hot water in the hot taps almost all the time (even late at night). The immersion hasn't been left on or anything and I'm wondering is something wrong and am I using a lot of electricity unbeknownst to myself due to some fault somewhere along the line. My last esb bill was pretty high but then they all are in Jan/Feb anyway.

Any ideas? :confused:

Check that the electrically controlled valve that routes hot water around your heating circuit is not stuck closed. This happened to me, with the result that all the boiler was doing was heating the hot water cylinder.

Also, the weather has been a bit warmer of late so your probably using less energy heating the house itself.

Check to see how long the boiler itself stays firing. If it's firing for the most of the time that it's on, perhaps you have the thermostat on the boiler set too high?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

get close to your immersion tank and listen, can you hear a hissing noise?
    turn off the mcb supplying the immersion and see if any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Wibbler wrote: »
    Check that the electrically controlled valve that routes hot water around your heating circuit is not stuck closed. This happened to me, with the result that all the boiler was doing was heating the hot water cylinder.?

+1 for this.
    I have the opposite problem in that the valve was stuck open, so the thermostat wasn't closing it when the water got hot enough, end result scalded hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Check the tank stat make sure its not faulty or set too high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 bountyhunter87

failing above sugestions you could check the cylinder stat. {mounted on cylinder usually 1/3 up. mabye it was turnd up accidently. should be set around 60c

Advertisement