Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyrite testing - Absolute must?

Options
  • 02-03-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Kinda heading towards buying a house, towards year end and Im wondering at this stage of the game is it prudent to get any potential serious purchase tested for Pyrite infill? By tested I mean get a company out to specifically check for signs of Pyrite infill and maybe a core drilling.

Or is the Pyrite problem actually just confined to certain counties/builders/developments.

For example, if a house had a crack in the wall surely a Pyrite test is a must? As the cost of removing it is horrendous.

Any advice/help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi

My only experience of this is with My cousins home, he was out of his home for 6 months while the issue was rectified, it involved the digging down of foundations to bedrock and refill with industry standard materials.

Huge mess at the time, It involved quite a large development within Meath, As far as i know it is confined to certain developments and also certain builders due to the batches of materials used. I would begin with background checks on the location prior to even fathoming an unnecessary pyrite core check.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Get an engineer to run a test. I have an apartment with Pyrite and trust me you don't want to get involved in the mess.

Also have heard that banks won't give mortgages on properties in "Pyrite Estates"

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BDSC1964

Pyrite problem is generally confined to certain areas north Dublin and Meath. There were a lot of builders involved but you would never find a list of them. Best thing is to get a structural survey done on the house before you buy it and ask your solicitor to do a good search in the area. Also if the house is more than ten years old it's likely to be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yeh, they won't release the names of the estates affected(allegedly thousands of houses) due to possible litigation by owners and builders. We only know about the cases in that were in court for example. Its a part of buyer beware culture now.

Advertisement