Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on whether to fix car up(clutch, t-belt) prior to selling

Options
  • 02-03-2011 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Lads,

just looking for some advice on what to do.

I have 2001 Golf 1.6 that has never given me a days bother, Its flew through its NCTs without a hitch (and was recently tested for another 2 years).

The problem is that the clutch is biting very late so is probably on the way out (although there is no slippage yet). It has 120k miles on it and so will be due a timing belt soon also. Its probably due to get new brake pads shortly too. So its going to take a bit of cash to get it right. Although it may not sound it from the above description the car has been well looked after and has a full service history.

The last time, I was getting the serviced, the mechanic said that there was some leakage into the gearbox and I should probably try to sell it on and soon as it got its NCT. I don't want to spend much cash on it doing the clutch, belt and brakes if this leak could cost more again.

I have been looking to change the car for a while anyway and will be looking to do a straight deal in the hope that I might be able to get €2500 for my golf when the clutch, belt and pads are done(or am I being unrealistic). I would accept less if the work wasn't done.

As for the car I hope to change to, I would prefer a diesel as I'm doing over 20k miles a year and petrol is only getting more expensive (I've heard all the arguments about dpfs etc but still think diesel is the way to go. My budget would be circa €8k (including whatever I get for the golf, if I sell it.)

My girlfriend will require her own car shortly but doesn't have much to spend on a car so I had been thinking about giving her my golf.
    My question is should I;

A) spend money on the car now getting the clutch and timing belt done (€600?) and give it to my GF, hoping the car doesn't require any further expensive repairs (such as the alleged leak in the gearbox).

B) get the work done and try to sell it for €2500ish?

C) just try to shift it on as is for €2000 ish

D) Hold onto it until it gives up all together.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

Sell it on, say nothing about the clutch, don't hide the fact it's due a timing belt if asked and strictly speaking you should advise folks looking at it about the gearbox issue, leakage into the gearbox sounds weird though, presumably the gearbox is leaking fluid from a seal or something where the shafts go in?

The fresh NCT is a good selling point, no way will you be better off doing all the work and then selling it.

............... or sort the car and give it to you rlady friend, or keep it yourself. Just don't spend money on it in advance of selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I would definitely get the belt changed, and the gearbox looked at (if there is a problem).

I believe in a bit of honesty:)!

I wouldn't bother with the clutch though if it's not too bad - the long NCT and getting a service/t-belt change will reassure people that you're selling a good reliable enough car.

Besides, with 120,000 miles, it is not unexpected that the clutch disc is reaching the end of its useful life.

Advertisement