Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing on the train

Options
  • 02-03-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Anyone ever take a long board up on Irish Rail? I wanna go from Dublin to Sligo and I have a 7"6' minimal. Just wondering if anyone ever had a bad experience trying this! My car just went under on me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

Actually the helpful girl on the Irish Rail phone line just told me it should be ok. She said it would just be treated as a "particularly large piece of luggage".
    Happy days. Train to Sligo. Car rental in the town. Hit the surf. Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

HAve brought Bodyboards on the train to Sligo a few times and no bother.

One thing though.................if your heading down on a fri eve then get there early and on to platform well before train goes to ensure you get a good spot for both you and your board. Its bedlam on a fri eve trying to get on the train and get a seat let alone a place for a board.

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Did it recently from Limerick to Dublin, as I did not want to leave car in Dublin Airport.

Rang Irish Rail and they confirmed that it was ok to put it in the post / outsize section. Arrived, loaded up the longboard, no issues. It is handy because you have to pay for a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Done it a few times, train to sligo than a taxi/bus to strandhill

Main issue is storage, as most places won't take a board as left luggage, pain in the arse if you want to head into town:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also I ran into problems with Dublin bus's and Darts, they wouldn't let me on with the board:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

rodento wrote: »
    Done it a few times, train to sligo than a taxi/bus to strandhill

Main issue is storage, as most places won't take a board as left luggage, pain in the arse if you want to head into town:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also I ran into problems with Dublin bus's and Darts, they wouldn't let me on with the board:mad:

I ended up cheating and hiring a car. Hitting Donegal beaches is a bit of pain without a car. But for Strandhill that sounds perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Will a taxi take a board to strandhill from the station?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

cue wrote: »
    Will a taxi take a board to strandhill from the station?
    If it's in a clean bag and you can fit it in the car why not?

Advertisement